Page 1 of 4

Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:34 pm
by fisto
for a few months now I've been asking myself, if Live is dead, or maybe it's going to die soon.
I mean after every update there are bigger problems than before (see recent fuck-up with plugins not working anymore etc...). I'm still on 9.1 because I did not want to mess up my system as 9.1 is quite reliable I would say...

Then when I look to Reaper or Bitwig, they just continue to improve their software REGULARLY and listening to their users and their suggestions.

And nope, I'm not bashing Live at all, I would just like to know if the developers have secretely abandoned live and maybe theiy will change ships soon....don't know, but I have decided that I will move to Bitwig Studio for my Layout-Stuff which I'm doing in Live now as I unfortunetely don't see any future in Live anymore.

I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts?? Are you serious? Is it that hard to implement some basic stuff into a program which exists already since over 10 years now? REALLY?

I would like to know your opinion on the future of life, and if there is any at all. I somehow think that soon it will be "abandon"-ware and that's it. I'm quite sad about that, but since version 8 I just don't trust Ableton anymore :/

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:18 pm
by marcoskohler
Ridiculous topic. Of course it's not dead. It's true there are outstanding features and requests that have yet to be implemented, but so does every software. BitWig has only had like 2-4 updates and, even though I own it, it's not fun to use. Is the iPhone dead because I can't customize my lock screen? Uh, no...is it annoying? Yes.

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:34 pm
by puzzlefactory
marcoskohler wrote:Ridiculous topic.
+1

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:58 pm
by TomViolenz
fisto wrote:future of life
life has no future! In the end we all have to die.... :cry:
/emo

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:03 pm
by fisto
I said "dead" because there is nothing happening...no real improvements..rather stagnant because it's moving forward in ultra-slow-steps...building up on old-code...getting heavier and heavier...

i was just thinking out loud.

btw. the iPhone gets quite an update each year...i don't have one but still. Everything in the software-world gets updated more frequently than Live xD (maybe not cubase but all others, haha)

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:32 pm
by crystalmsc
Have you watch this video https://youtu.be/tILlZRLhBJE

They admit something was not right before and looks like things are getting better inside the developers. They certainly need some time to come back strong and I believe Live 10 is the moment for a fresh release. Let's see!

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:27 pm
by deva
fisto wrote:for a few months now I've been asking myself, if Live is dead, or maybe it's going to die soon.
I mean after every update there are bigger problems than before (see recent fuck-up with plugins not working anymore etc...). I'm still on 9.1 because I did not want to mess up my system as 9.1 is quite reliable I would say...

Then when I look to Reaper or Bitwig, they just continue to improve their software REGULARLY and listening to their users and their suggestions.

And nope, I'm not bashing Live at all, I would just like to know if the developers have secretely abandoned live and maybe theiy will change ships soon....don't know, but I have decided that I will move to Bitwig Studio for my Layout-Stuff which I'm doing in Live now as I unfortunetely don't see any future in Live anymore.

I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts?? Are you serious? Is it that hard to implement some basic stuff into a program which exists already since over 10 years now? REALLY?

I would like to know your opinion on the future of life, and if there is any at all. I somehow think that soon it will be "abandon"-ware and that's it. I'm quite sad about that, but since version 8 I just don't trust Ableton anymore :/
I think there is more chance of Bitwig going out of business than Live. Live is a worldwide institution. Far more people use Live than Bitwig.

For me, Live 9.2 is solid and reliable. I've been using Bitwig more recently because I want to purchase a Linnstrument and Live cannot do anything with note expression. So I've been exploring Bitwig. 1.2 just shipped and it has a number of good new features. I find it buggier than Live though. For example, Bounce In Place has been unreliable for a long time and is not fixed.

I have a Push and it works well in Live. One Bitwig user has done an amazing job making a Push4Bitwig script... but Bitwig as a company does not support Push. Though no fault of the dev of the Bitwig Push script, it is currently not working right with 1.2 Who knows when it will.

Live also has some distinct advantages in routing.

The grass often appears greener... doesn't mean it is

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:44 pm
by pencilrocket
everything is dead in 100 years. who cares.

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:25 pm
by S4racen
fisto wrote: I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts??
You lost me here...

Cheers
D

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:59 pm
by kb420
S4racen wrote:
fisto wrote: I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts??
You lost me here...

Cheers
D
I'm just as lost. Can't you make your own?

If you want to use Reaper or Bitwig, go right ahead. No one is stopping you.

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:01 pm
by jlgrimes
fisto wrote:for a few months now I've been asking myself, if Live is dead, or maybe it's going to die soon.
I mean after every update there are bigger problems than before (see recent fuck-up with plugins not working anymore etc...). I'm still on 9.1 because I did not want to mess up my system as 9.1 is quite reliable I would say...

Then when I look to Reaper or Bitwig, they just continue to improve their software REGULARLY and listening to their users and their suggestions.

And nope, I'm not bashing Live at all, I would just like to know if the developers have secretely abandoned live and maybe theiy will change ships soon....don't know, but I have decided that I will move to Bitwig Studio for my Layout-Stuff which I'm doing in Live now as I unfortunetely don't see any future in Live anymore.

I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts?? Are you serious? Is it that hard to implement some basic stuff into a program which exists already since over 10 years now? REALLY?

I would like to know your opinion on the future of life, and if there is any at all. I somehow think that soon it will be "abandon"-ware and that's it. I'm quite sad about that, but since version 8 I just don't trust Ableton anymore :/
I doubt it. Ableton still remains a very popular DAW for a wide variety of users. And Live is really Abletons only cash cow. Even Push is pretty much a supplement program to Live.

I would feel more afraid of programs like Logic who is owned by a corporate giant which is a tiny footprint of their bottom line.

Ableton does develop their program, just at a slower rate. They are approaching version 10. It is harder to keep up with younger programs with about any program.

As a program gets larger, the code gets more complex, you also tend to lose key developers who might have been a key part on a good amount of the code, so the question becomes how to effectively rewrite stuff without breaking things.

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:16 pm
by doghouse
fisto wrote:I said "dead" because there is nothing happening...no real improvements..rather stagnant because it's moving forward in ultra-slow-steps...building up on old-code...getting heavier and heavier...
We have gotten so used to contant improvement and extension of software that we forget that at some point it is done and updates should be limited to bug fixes only.

How many more new features does a DAW really need anyway?

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 pm
by Stromkraft
fisto wrote: I mean we have version 9 and still no fucking Custom-Keyboard-shortcuts?? Are you serious? Is it that hard to implement some basic stuff into a program which exists already since over 10 years now? REALLY?
This is hardly vital, while it would be really nice. Also on Mac you do your own shortcuts for menu options in any application.

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:38 pm
by H20nly
fisto wrote: 9.1 is quite reliable I would say...I just don't trust Ableton anymore :/
there's this one guy that's frequently coming to the Live forum and talking about how awesome Reaper is... Maybe you should take his advice and switch...

Re: Is Live dead already?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:07 pm
by deva
fisto wrote:I have decided that I will move to Bitwig Studio for my Layout-Stuff which I'm doing in Live now as I unfortunetely don't see any future in Live anymore.
Ha! Wait til you start using Bitwig... Live is much more stable for me than Bitwig 1.2 is.