Mapping midi controller to vst in instrument rack

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mickmike

Mapping midi controller to vst in instrument rack

Post by mickmike » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:54 pm

I might be missing something, but after a frustrating afternoon, maybe someone can help. I'm trying to use a couple of mid controllers to control tal audio bassline 101, and uno-lx in instrument racks. I open instrument rack, insert the vst. I have an evolution uc-16 controller plugged in via usb. In midi sync, track is on ( I tried various other combinations also ). I midi learn and map parameters to pots. I then open configure on instrument rack, and make sure all is good. I save. Everything is a ok, and I'm twiddling away happily. Then I change preset and and some of the pots are affecting different parameters. Lfo becomes resonance etc, and some double up. The midi controllers, uc-16 and x-session are pretty old. Resurrected from the graveyard box of midi controllers. The uc-16 even gave up the ghost. Are these relics not up to the task ( if so what recommend on the smallish side), or am I not setting up properly. Can't remember this problem in the past. Advice please, as I want my own custom sh-101 and juno 60. Many thanks

yur2die4

Re: Mapping midi controller to vst in instrument rack

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:32 pm

First, there's a difference between midi 'map', midi 'learn', and kinda the 'configure' option. Plus there's the possibility of interference if your controller is using a 'Control Surface' setup (in midi preferences), and the midi channels that your devices transmit on (sometimes they all use one channel, sometimes they have repeat cc#s but on different midi channels).

Midi mapping - is when you hit the midi map button and the screen turns blue. Where you select a parameter and move your control, and now your control affects that parameter. It is in Live. Midi mapping stays aware of cc# and channel.

Midi learn - is within a vst's gui. It is similar to midi map, except that it is inside the vst only. If you midi learn a parameter inside the vst and then come back to the vst, it'll often times just pick up your controls automatically. I Think midi Map overrides controls, so if say you Map cc22 that is Learned to a parameter, Live will not send cc22 to the vst because it is in use. ALSO, for midi channels, I am pretty sure that Live basically sends everything as midi Channel 1 for a vst Within the channel. So if you have two controllers of two different midi channels, they'll still act as if they are both channel 1. That also means that if they both use the same cc at the same time, it'll make them both use that control.

Configure - attempts to take over vst controls. Sometimes there is one extra spot left over for 'last used control in the vst' inside Configure. So if you mess with filter using mouse, then in Live's hosting wrapper, that parameter will magically show up as the last control, but constantly be replaced by any other control you might fiddle with.

This gets more confusing if you are undecided about using 'Control Surface' which uses the blue hand on the title bar of a selected device, and then gives your controller instant control of 8 parameters.

So all of this stuff can interfere, and you might have to make some absolute decisions so you can have consistent results.

On top of all that, changing presets isn't always going to be perfectly consistent either. If you're doing that, you might be best off making use of Midi Learn since the vst itself is probably best at comprehending what you've mapped.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Clear as mud then!. Think I'll try and ignore instrument racks, and set up a template with 2 controllers assigned to each synth on seperate midi tracks. Gotta be a way. As I said before, pretty old unreliable controllers though. Lothe to spend ££ experimenting though

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 pm

The controllers shouldn't be the issue, aside from maybe the occasional wiggles-on-its-own knob/fader or like, if a jack is shorted somehow.

Also, you can make a preset in the vst GUI, then put that into a rack. You don't have to map anything To the rack, or use Configure, but just the act of having it in a Rack will make it quick and easy to drag it into a new channel when necessary from the browser.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow.