Novation circuit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Novation circuit

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:43 pm

I got my Circuit last week, and just posted a video review if anyone is still curious about it:

https://youtu.be/hZfyL9-hoOA

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Great review, the isotonic editor is awesome! I'm disappointed Novation don't allow the drum machine to use different step lengths, that pretty much kills it for me. :( The synth engines sound great, the size is great. For future reference if Novation somehow allow different step lengths than 16 in the future, is it capable of using the plain chromatic scale?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Have you tried the midi input? Is it midi channel dependent?

Seems like a reeeeally nice 'module' option for people who want a portable synth with the quick recall of presets, etc.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 am

Yes, there's a chromatic mode, I believe it's the last option in the Scales menu if I remember right.

The MIDI reference manual has all the MIDI details at the end of it. There's a LOT of parameters that can be controlled, so I'm guessing they are MIDI channel dependant. (just checked and Synth 1 responds on channel 1, Synth 2 on channel 2, and Drums on channel 10)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Quick little mini set I did with the Circuit, testing out a new way of writing and playing Circuit on it's own live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuu5mFY4ycg

More details on the set here: http://innerportalstudio.com/whitefalls ... rcuit-jam/

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Novation are working with some friends to get a cloud-based Circuit Librarian tool up and running.

They could use your help testing it.

It'll allow you to simply plug in your Circuit, and back up your sessions online. Simple and useful.

Get involved in the beta:

https://circuit-librarian.herokuapp.com/

Send all feedback to:

circuit-librarian@novationmusic.com

Cheers
D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 pm

GAH! Needs Facebook to log in, GAH! (I already bitched to Novation)

:)

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46 am

Tarekith wrote:GAH! Needs Facebook to log in, GAH! (I already bitched to Novation)

Just set up a dummy Facebook account for this only?

mrgrim3

Post by mrgrim3 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:51 am

ghostly wrote:
Tarekith wrote:GAH! Needs Facebook to log in, GAH! (I already bitched to Novation)

Just set up a dummy Facebook account for this only?

every time ive tried to make a dummy account they lock it within a week or two and then ask me for a picture of my state id to be allowed back on

braduro

Post by braduro » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I too would be interested when they open this up to a dedicated remote script. I was thinking to pick up a circuit to replace my Livid Instruments Base II. http://lividinstruments.com/products/base/

The base pads have had issues since they first released it, and the scripts for it are pretty wasteful. It's however very promising with the number of scales, and they've had a vertical offset for keyboard use since the first base was launched. Novation just released new scales and vertical offset for their launchpad pro, so the timing seemed right to flare this up and see if they'll offer similar coverage to the circuit. The new features really do open up the possibilities for an 8x4 grid.

uberdavis

Post by uberdavis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Well circuit is a standalone musical sketchpad that requires no computer. It's nothing compared to a full-on Ableton Live rig, but it's a piece of gear you can take anywhere (it can work on batteries), and you can sketch out song ideas. Plus it's cheap as chips. I'm a fan!

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I stand corrected. I now use circuit as a great polyphonic sequencer for 2 synths. With 2 sample tracks as well. It’s a good bit of kit, wth a lot of different uses