Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kb420
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by kb420 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Synthmaster. http://www.kv331audio.com/

Image

It comes with plenty of great sounds, especially if you get the "Everything Bundle", and it really is highly tweakable.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

Shift Gorden
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm

kb420 wrote:I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Synthmaster. http://www.kv331audio.com/

Image

It comes with plenty of great sounds, especially if you get the "Everything Bundle", and it really is highly tweakable.
I've been following this thread and trying out most of the synths mentioned...

Mate, I just tried this and went ahead and bought it. What an amazing synth. It's fantastic! The price is great - can't wait to mess around with it this weekend.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:18 pm

kb420 wrote:I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Synthmaster. http://www.kv331audio.com/

Image

It comes with plenty of great sounds, especially if you get the "Everything Bundle", and it really is highly tweakable.
Sounds intriguing indeed.
Make some music!

Shift Gorden
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Shift Gorden » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:22 am

Try it, mate. I had a few install headaches, but this synth is sexy time. Haven't quite got my head around it yet - but it's got a great sound.

crystalmsc
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:06 pm

iSpiritus wrote:I would like to start moving away from Ableton's instruments and expand my VST library. I am getting bored of Ableton's Analog and Operator synths and would like something with a little more power and customization. I am looking for something that is great for producing ambient pads and/or synth leads for Dubstep, Electro House, and Glitch Hop. My price range is around $200
imho Cubase Elements 8 is the most valuable package, not only you got Halion Sonic SE (Trip is dope!) and Beat Agents SE which are the same version as the Cubase Pro instrument, only with less patches/samples. But you got a decent VST3 host and a very mature and good looking DAW. Plus a bunch of quality effects which can be used in a very polished mixer. Is there anything like that for just $99? Plus you can rewire Ableton vice versa. It's a good alternative if you are boring with Live instruments, but sometime it's not the paint..but the canvas. The downside is that the instruments are Cubase exclusive, not a regular VST. But if you planned to work in a fresh environment, it's a great value.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Division Monarchy
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Division Monarchy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 am

Maybe you should look into this... It looks like a nicely designed bundle that will run in M4L. It seems versatile and within your price range. I haven't yet tried it but I've been contemplating it for a while now.

http://sonicfaction.com/products/ableton/archetype/

puzzlefactory
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:44 am

GeoSuPhat wrote:Check out Serum as well.
https://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

+1

Great synth!

chauvin
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:08 pm

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by chauvin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 am

http://www.native-instruments.com/fr/pr ... reaktor-6/
The king is back... almost everything synths are possible with this stuff.
(but without retina display support)
Cheers !
© theMTC

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Loom by Air music Tech used to be RTAS only I hear, but it's been AU and VST forever now. Top tier additive synth.
It's on sale right now with two other Air Music synths. I might just purchase this for the other two synths. Loom is worth the price alone.

Serious, this is a total steal just for Loom! 8O

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... -Exclusive

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Loom by Air music Tech used to be RTAS only I hear, but it's been AU and VST forever now. Top tier additive synth.
It's on sale right now with two other Air Music synths. I might just purchase this for the other two synths. Loom is worth the price alone.

Serious, this is a total steal just for Loom! 8O

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... -Exclusive
Worth checking out also if you already own Razor?

My fav Z3TA+ 2 is also on sale at the moment at Pluginboutique for $77.19.

I don't really need any new synths. Oddity 2 feels like the next soft synth for me if I ever get another, but I'm not sure I need that at all as Z3TA+ 2 gets more work all the time in my sets. It gives me tingles just using it, just as Razor does when I hit the magic spots.

It's quite likely my next bigger purchase will be a physical machine for just the soft synths I use.
Make some music!

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:45 pm

GeoSuPhat wrote:Check out Serum as well.
https://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum
Just as with Razor I'd be more interested in Serum if someone showed me something not being a growl of some kind. I just want pure non-digital sound if that makes sense. Razor is very digital, but the great oscillator modulation, the dynamic filters, shapers and so on that allows me to construct otherworldly and acoustic-style sounds makes up for that.

(That's my two thousandth post.)
Make some music!

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Loom by Air music Tech used to be RTAS only I hear, but it's been AU and VST forever now. Top tier additive synth.
It's on sale right now with two other Air Music synths. I might just purchase this for the other two synths. Loom is worth the price alone.

Serious, this is a total steal just for Loom! 8O

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... -Exclusive
Worth checking out also if you already own Razor?

My fav Z3TA+ 2 is also on sale at the moment at Pluginboutique for $77.19.

I don't really need any new synths. Oddity 2 feels like the next soft synth for me if I ever get another, but I'm not sure I need that at all as Z3TA+ 2 gets more work all the time in my sets. It gives me tingles just using it, just as Razor does when I hit the magic spots.

It's quite likely my next bigger purchase will be a physical machine for just the soft synths I use.
Yes, I haven't really bothered with Razor yet quite honestly, got it in Ultimate a while ago and thought it sounded OK, but Loom right away is more detailed in it's approach.

Z3ta+2 is well underrated for sure, along with Syn'ix by Xils, and Absynth (because it's bee around forever more than any other reason).

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:14 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Yes, I haven't really bothered with Razor yet quite honestly, got it in Ultimate a while ago and thought it sounded OK, but Loom right away is more detailed in it's approach.
You feel the Loom factory presets are representative for what you can do with it? Usually this is not the case, but some companies do better presets than others. Some of the Reaktor synths have great presets in my opinion, but more or less 90% of the presets in Z3TA+ 2, FM8, Massive, are not that good. However, when you start to get into programming your own sounds with these you realize how fantastic all of them can sound. I ask because I don't have the time to evaluate it fully currently.
Machinesworking wrote: Z3ta+2 is well underrated for sure, along with Syn'ix by Xils, and Absynth (because it's bee around forever more than any other reason).
Yeah, I have Absynth installed since 18 months or so and haven't used it yet. You see what I mean? I don't need any new sound sources but I do need finishing tracks (pointing the finger at myself).
Make some music!

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Yeah, I have Absynth installed since 18 months or so and haven't used it yet. You see what I mean? I don't need any new sound sources but I do need finishing tracks (pointing the finger at myself).
Don't buy anything new then, IMO Absynth compliments Razor and Z3ta+2 quite well. :)

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Looking for a good VST Synth for around $200

Post by deva » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Absynth is one of those synths I was interested in due to reputation... every 6 months or so, I open it again and explore a bit and then remember why I never use it. I just don't like the sound of it and the GUI seems really clunky

Post Reply