Best laptop for Music production: very curious - Macbook?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

deva

Re: Best laptop for Music production: very curious - Macbook?

Post by deva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:42 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
fishmonkey wrote: i used to feel the same before i was forced to upgrade to a Retina MBP, but actually i'm happy with my new machine. the NON UPGRADABLE flash drive is super-fast,

the screen is great, the two Thunderbolt ports and HDMI port give me more options than my old 2011 MBP. WHICH YOU NEED TO BUY NEW AND EXPENSIVE EXTRA HARDWARE FOR!

the reduced weight is also good, since i travel with a backup machine as well... UNTIL THE BATTERY GIVES OUT-THEN YOU ARE SIMPLY FUCKED! SO MUCH FOR "BACK UP"
Sorry, not seeing anything here that would change my mind.
you are welcome to have whatever view you like about it.

my 3 year Apple warranty covers the battery... so if the battery fails or wears out in the next 3 years, it is replaced for free...

My new Macbook Pro runs circles around the older MBP's. I have no thought or interest to upgrade it in any way. It is amazingly productive and in the 3 months I've had it has already easily paid for its future replacement. Such a machine is for people who want to get to work, not play around focused on computers, upgrades, dick measuring benchmarks and all that stuff.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:45 pm

TomViolenz wrote:And have you checked the prices on these Thunderbolt sound cards? 8O
They are insanely overpriced. Not worth the price differential over the largely (for this purpose) identical Firewire and USB 3 cards.

And not too long ago batteries could be swapped out without removing any screws, just an easy slider. You could do this while the machine was running. But that silly war for thinness killed it. At least that's the bullshit they sell the consumers. The real reason is planned obsolescence.
All your concerns are consumer concerns... not the concerns of professional users. :lol:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
fishmonkey wrote: are you speaking as a 'pro' or as a 'prosumer'?
:roll:
it's a fair question since you started with this:
TomViolenz wrote:Mac laptops were the best when they still came in the pro variety. That ended with the mid 2012 MBPro. Luckily I still managed to get one of those. Now they sell at best prosumer appliances. :x

And no, a machine where I can't change the harddrive, upgrade more RAM or even exchange the freaking battery is not a tool for professionals. :evil:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:11 pm

professionals earn money and not spend it like a 17 year old Paris Hilton high on ADHS pills on shiny new toys ;-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:15 pm

deva wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
fishmonkey wrote: i used to feel the same before i was forced to upgrade to a Retina MBP, but actually i'm happy with my new machine. the NON UPGRADABLE flash drive is super-fast,

the screen is great, the two Thunderbolt ports and HDMI port give me more options than my old 2011 MBP. WHICH YOU NEED TO BUY NEW AND EXPENSIVE EXTRA HARDWARE FOR!

the reduced weight is also good, since i travel with a backup machine as well... UNTIL THE BATTERY GIVES OUT-THEN YOU ARE SIMPLY FUCKED! SO MUCH FOR "BACK UP"
Sorry, not seeing anything here that would change my mind.
you are welcome to have whatever view you like about it.

my 3 year Apple warranty covers the battery... so if the battery fails or wears out in the next 3 years, it is replaced for free...
wow, that's generous.... :roll:
Of course batteries almost never fail within the first 3 years ;-)
My new Macbook Pro runs circles around the older MBP's.
bullshit

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:31 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
deva wrote:
Exactly, so it is not like it is something that needs to be done often. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:35 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
deva wrote: My new Macbook Pro runs circles around the older MBP's.
bullshit
I guess you'll never know :wink:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:53 pm

deva wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
deva wrote:
Exactly, so it is not like it is something that needs to be done often. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
no it's a non-solution is all.

And I use my computers longer than 3 years, but you seem to be the target market for planned obsolescence.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:08 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
deva wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: wow, that's generous.... :roll:
no it's a non-solution is all.

And I use my computers longer than 3 years, but you seem to be the target market for planned obsolescence.
A solution is needed when there's a problem... and there is none.

When the battery in my new MBP needs to be changed, I'll have it changed and keep using it. There is no issue here.

GusHage

Post by GusHage » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 pm

I really appreciate everyone's input, even the internal discussions (:

I don't mean to sound silly, but I have been saving up for some time now and if people generally agree or feel that an investment in a higher-grade rMBP makes good sense then I suits me fine.

Of course I'm not simply going to throw all my money after the most shiny machine, so I would still like to hear peoples comments.

When comparing to the most powerful rMBPs, does anything compete in overall experience?
My MAIN priority is surely music-production-performance, but I must admit I am a little drawn towards the "full-package" MacBook-style..

If anyone was unsure,this would be my first mac, so I don't think you can call it fanboy'ism..

GusHage

Post by GusHage » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:36 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
GusHage wrote:ABLETON LIVE 9.2, expecting to update regularly.

I am aware that higher processing speeds and more ram are always a benefit, no matter what you are doing, but I am looking for at portable work station for everyday life as well..

I've looked at a lot of Retina MacBook Pros (I am currently using a windows desktop) and even though they look nice and feel nice in general, I am not sure if they are the right choice for music production.

I have an old (7 years I believe) 2,4 ghz quad core processor, 4GB of ram and I am running into some strange performance issues.. It might be that my PC is simply old and tired, because I recently upgraded to Win10 from Win7 and it seemed snappier for some time and then struggled again..

I have projects with up to 30-40 tracks sometimes most of them with multiple effects on them.
I have a PUSH which I am fond of and planning to carry around with my future laptop. I might perform live, but that is not a main concern.

- well, my actual question is:
1 are the current MacBooks the right choice for me / are they worth it?
I don't mind buying a used one (I'm from Denmark) and I don't mind waiting a little longer if someone thinks a performance upgrade is around the corner.

2 is there an alternative that makes sense?

I search the forums daily, but felt the need to ask directly.
Thanks in advance.
I guess that would also have to do with what you are willing to spend. That Asus laptop is a better value than the bottom dollar MBP. Asus is top quality. If it were an HP - never.
So, the the Asus beats the low-end MBP, but not the high-end rMBP for instance?

login

Post by login » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:48 pm

I plan to get my first laptop soon and it will be a MBP 15".

Good of laptops with similar quality, weight, trackpad, kb, are as or more expensive and normally heavier than MBP. But must have GPU which you can avoid with a MBP (heat and battery life suffers with GPU).

Yes you can upgrade them, but honestly I don't think that I will need more than 16gb in RAM and a 256 SSD since I already have external drives. When Apple roles outs OSX that become a hassle I can just install windows.

This however will be a laptop to carry around a lot for a few years since I am going to study abroad. When I return to my country I will build a great PC desktop, I still find them the best and more powerful solution. If you don't need mobility.

By the way I am excited about new MS book and I hope they succeed and have great stuff in a few years, but after having a surface pro 1, the experience wasn't great, repairs are even more costly than apple and totally not user serviceable.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 am

Some thoughts:

Macbook has better audio. Most pros seem to use it.

FL Studio have created a new improved ASIO driver that allows multiple sound programs simultaneously.

15" Windows laptops have numpads. As soon as you get a laptop with a numpad you notice the convenience and hate giving it up. Makes Macbooks seem bulky and inconvenient. Asus laptops have an arrow where a big zero should be on the numpad, so I avoid Asus laptops, but only for that reason.

Macbook has better trackpad, but I use wireless mouse with buttons on the side, which is much better.

Asus reviewer was on drugs if he though processing power doesn't matter so much. Many software synths are basically unusable on low processing power machines.

Less afraid of damaging or losing a Windows laptop vs a Apple because the Windows laptops are half the price.

Microsoft is becoming more intrusive and more into marketing and more into multi-platform functionality rather than being focused on optimal desktop reliability.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:35 am

Better audio is a pretty general statement. Audio what? Audio speakers? Audio cables, audio waveforms audio compression audio processing audio realism audio unicorns audio soup??