iOS is a disappointment for making music

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
granted

Re: iOS is a disappointment for making music

Post by granted » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:08 pm

iOS a disappointment? You should take a look at what's available for Android. I think Android has a total of six music apps. Nanoloop, G-Stomper ... ummm ... (I'm joking there are likely more than six.)

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 pm

As a gamer and a musician it sucks to be me.

iOS has a nice and large music ecosystem and music app catalogue but no console emulators.

Android has a handful of half-assed music apps and terrible implementation but a plethora of optimized and flexible retro-console emulators with Bluetooth controller support.

Shit. :evil:

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:14 pm

iOS + linnstrument will really make those music apps fun to play. I'm usually wreaking havoc on iMPC pro or korg gadget. When I have an idea I just track the headphone out to my SSL desk and voila i've got the idea in live.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Easier to just fire up Gadget or Xysnthizr and mess with that for a bit.
I love xynthesizr! There are so many odd ways you can play with such a simple app. Between step durations, playing with sequence length, the key changing, and then a simple built-in synth with a dense verb.

Also, if anyone is interested, the iPhone app Arpist used to be locked, but is now unlocked and completely free. You can open it, and then open another app. Some apps which send midi out and receive at the same time (like Nave) will be able to use Arpist as the arpeggiator as you play notes within the synth.

Mr. Division, did they get back to you about touchable?? Keep us updated.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I just love the pseudo random morphing you can use for notes and selections of notes, brilliant.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:48 am

I am also curious as to why iOS apps are 1/10th the price. Are developers just too greedy on OSX and Windows? Or do iOS developers just consider it a toy? Case in point, SugarBytes Turnado is $20 or well over $100 depending on which platform it is.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:23 am

I think there are two very influential factors amongst others.

1. Marketability. People find more or less value in one over the other simply in comparison to similar products on that market. Some app developers Do make toys, and it's hard to be taken seriously if most apps are $20 or less and you try to sell for $35 and up.

2. Flexibility. If you get a vst, you're expected to be able to use it within a DAW with plenty of routing options available to you and no fuss. Despite there being a lot of options in an app, it still hardly beats the full fledged possibilities on a computer. Plus, an iOS version is restricted to only being available at the whim of the apple App Store. The vst relies heavily on the developer's website for support, but this also means you can count on having that vst available even if the app crashes with the most recent update.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 am

From the discussions with a lot of developers on the Audiobus forums, it sounds like it was mainly market driven at first. People just weren't used to paying more than $5-10 for an app, and something like $30 seemed crazy. Things are slowly changing though, app prices seem to be going up, as well they should for things like Nave and other heavy hitters.

I hear you on the price difference between desktop versions, the Fabfilter stuff in Auria is a crazy example. I was able to get ALL of their plug ins on iOS for less than the cost of one of them on the laptop. Crazy.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:52 am

That makes sense that it is more market driven. Something like Nave is definitely top notch and worth every penny. And there are a couple drum apps like Seekbeats and Patterning that are complete steals at $10 a piece. I would pay more for certain apps (pending an iOS with core audio and MIDI) but I do think many computer apps are just way to expensive these days. I looked at the new Soundtoys, but for $500 I just can't justify those kinds of prices. Especially considering there is just not the same money to be made in music as there once was, even for established artists. Even Apple considerably brought the price of Logic down over the past ten years. Ableton is quite expensive too, but I've got it at version 2 for $200 and paid in $200 increments of upgrades over the years. If I was just starting out, I would probably be veered away by the cost. NI is up there too, but given the quality of their sample libraries, they can't be cheap to make. Although they would sell more if it was cheaper. And then there is Waves. I don't know how they stay in business because I would think their customer base of pro studios that can actually afford that has to have dried up considerably. Unless the money is somewhere I'm not looking, like gaming.

Bottom line, I would gladly pay more for some things, but other things have me priced out.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:13 pm

In a way though, if you're curious about the computer version of something, trying out the app first might be a cheap option. I don't know if that'd be the best way to go about that. Most offer demos.

I think I've heard of one or two cases where owning the app means owning the vst and owning the vst means owning the app, but I cannot put my finger on exactly which one that is. I don't know if Apple would actually let something like that fly?? It'd be darn good incentive though.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Division Monarchy wrote: Ableton is quite expensive too, but I've got it at version 2 for $200 and paid in $200 increments of upgrades over the years. If I was just starting out, I would probably be veered away by the cost. NI is up there too, but given the quality of their sample libraries, they can't be cheap to make. Although they would sell more if it was cheaper. And then there is Waves. I don't know how they stay in business because I would think their customer base of pro studios that can actually afford that has to have dried up considerably. Unless the money is somewhere I'm not looking, like gaming.

Bottom line, I would gladly pay more for some things, but other things have me priced out.
I'd rather pay for what I actually can use and Waves is commonly on sale or available second hand, so if you can wait or are lucky with timing you can get them at a considerably lower price. I've spent a few hundred dollars on 14 Waves plug-ins. No bundles, all hand-picked and I regret none despite non-existing side-chain support in Live 9 (which should be a show stopper for most). If Ableton got VST3 support that'd work I think.

I believe I picked up my Live 9 Suite license at 20% off, but I'd pay full price again if I wanted it. I think most people have more money to spend than I. NI Komplete is very price worthy IMHO. I feel you just can't compare to iOS price levels because you can't maximize usage on iOS devices, even if you can do a lot.

With prices for example at over $300 for an EQ (Sonnox) you gotta want what's on offer. I can't tell if that's wise from a business perspective or not, but some of the more expensive plug-ins are worth it IMO. I know a little about the hard work behind them, which helps.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Wow, that's crazy.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 pm

and it's 10 bucks. 8)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Doesn't appear to have midi. For what it does, that kinda sounds essential either from a sequencer or for live control.