Converting to MP3?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
abpm
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:12 pm

What do you use when you need to convert to mp3?

Tarekith
Posts: 17576
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:51 am

Lot's of options out there these days. For free you could use iTunes, I tend to use Sample Manager (now called Myriad) for batch conversions myself.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4166
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:03 am

i mostly use XLD (i think it's OS X only though)...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

clement.m
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 am
Location: Brussels

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by clement.m » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

On OS X I'm using Switch.
MacMini i7 2,3GHz 16GB RAM - 10.10.5 - Suite 9.6 - http://clementmarion.be

Tarekith
Posts: 17576
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

Max from sbooth.org is another good one I've used that's free.

abpm
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:Max from sbooth.org is another good one I've used that's free.
I was using Max and it was super quick, but I noticed a significant latency between the Wav and the resulting mp3. The MP3 start about 1/2 a bar late. That kinda wigs me out. Any idea how to fix that?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Why convert to mp3? Doesn’t just about everything support higher quality files now?

abpm
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm

beats me wrote:Why convert to mp3? Doesn’t just about everything support higher quality files now?
I hear you. HATE mp3's, but they are easier to share with collaborators, etc.

Tarekith
Posts: 17576
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 pm

abpm wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Max from sbooth.org is another good one I've used that's free.
I was using Max and it was super quick, but I noticed a significant latency between the Wav and the resulting mp3. The MP3 start about 1/2 a bar late. That kinda wigs me out. Any idea how to fix that?
I have no idea, haven't used it in awhile, but I never had that issue when I was. Sorry.

Tarekith
Posts: 17576
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:29 pm

beats me wrote:Why convert to mp3? Doesn’t just about everything support higher quality files now?
Even if you have to go with a compressed file, I still find AAC to be closer sounding to the high quality version. I always opt for those instead of MP3 these days, evne with the best encoders.

abpm
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Question: does anyone know how changing extension from Wav to MP3 in info differs from doing it in iTunes? I right clicked just a test to see if it works. Seems like the quality is the same and I examined the waveforms and didn't notice a difference. And thoughts on this process? It's actually really quick and easy. Just duplicate the Wav file and change extension to MP3.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 pm

abpm wrote:
beats me wrote:Why convert to mp3? Doesn’t just about everything support higher quality files now?
I hear you. HATE mp3's, but they are easier to share with collaborators, etc.

I don’t know if “easier” is the correct term if you are talking about file size. It’s not like we are still on dialup speeds and 80 GB top drive size now. I would think collaborators would want the highest quality file possible. Not to mention if they are using Live it’s going to convert the file to a WAV file anyway.

abpm
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:39 pm

beats me wrote:
abpm wrote:
beats me wrote:Why convert to mp3? Doesn’t just about everything support higher quality files now?
I hear you. HATE mp3's, but they are easier to share with collaborators, etc.

I don’t know if “easier” is the correct term if you are talking about file size. It’s not like we are still on dialup speeds and 80 GB top drive size now. I would think collaborators would want the highest quality file possible. Not to mention if they are using Live it’s going to convert the file to a WAV file anyway.
Certain people do not want anything but MP3s sent to them. That's just reality.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:41 pm

abpm wrote:Question: does anyone know how changing extension from Wav to MP3 in info differs from doing it in iTunes? I right clicked just a test to see if it works. Seems like the quality is the same and I examined the waveforms and didn't notice a difference. And thoughts on this process? It's actually really quick and easy. Just duplicate the Wav file and change extension to MP3.
doesn't this defeat the purpose?

If you're going to send over a huge file, why not just send it as is?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:49 pm

abpm wrote:Certain people do not want anything but MP3s sent to them. That's just reality.
Maybe the forum can collectively come up with an intelligent but non-confrontational letter explaining why that request is dated and no longer necessary that you can fire off to these dinosaurs. :wink:

Post Reply