Converting to MP3?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abpm

Re: Converting to MP3?

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 pm

beats me wrote:
abpm wrote:Certain people do not want anything but MP3s sent to them. That's just reality.
Maybe the forum can collectively come up with an intelligent but non-confrontational letter explaining why that request is dated and no longer necessary that you can fire off to these dinosaurs. :wink:
Sad part is most people just don't care! They only care about space in their inbox. As I said, I HATE mp3s. But it is what it is.

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:52 pm

H20nly wrote:
abpm wrote:Question: does anyone know how changing extension from Wav to MP3 in info differs from doing it in iTunes? I right clicked just a test to see if it works. Seems like the quality is the same and I examined the waveforms and didn't notice a difference. And thoughts on this process? It's actually really quick and easy. Just duplicate the Wav file and change extension to MP3.
doesn't this defeat the purpose?

If you're going to send over a huge file, why not just send it as is?
It's not a huge file, it gets compressed to MP3.

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:06 pm

H20nly wrote:
abpm wrote:Question: does anyone know how changing extension from Wav to MP3 in info differs from doing it in iTunes? I right clicked just a test to see if it works. Seems like the quality is the same and I examined the waveforms and didn't notice a difference. And thoughts on this process? It's actually really quick and easy. Just duplicate the Wav file and change extension to MP3.

Scratch my previous response, I was looking at the wrong file. Damn, thought i figured out a work around lol.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:
abpm wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Max from sbooth.org is another good one I've used that's free.
I was using Max and it was super quick, but I noticed a significant latency between the Wav and the resulting mp3. The MP3 start about 1/2 a bar late. That kinda wigs me out. Any idea how to fix that?
I have no idea, haven't used it in awhile, but I never had that issue when I was. Sorry.
Max definitely has some issues now, the last stable version was released in 2009...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

I love how as of OS X 10.8 you can encode to AAC directly from the Finder. I use it all the time.

Now it would be nice if they implemented mp3 encoding there too, for those people I have to send things to who freak out and don't understand that AAC is superior and that their device should play it just fine.
Unsound Designer

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:56 pm

stringtapper wrote:I love how as of OS X 10.8 you can encode to AAC directly from the Finder. I use it all the time.

Now it would be nice if they implemented mp3 encoding there too, for those people I have to send things to who freak out and don't understand that AAC is superior and that their device should play it just fine.

That sounds more simple! I'll have to google this, unless you have a link you know of? Thanks!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:57 pm

It's right there in the Finder. Just right-click on a file and at the bottom of the contextual menu you should see "Encode Selected Audio Files."
Unsound Designer

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:18 pm

stringtapper wrote:It's right there in the Finder. Just right-click on a file and at the bottom of the contextual menu you should see "Encode Selected Audio Files."

Yes! Thank you! This is a real help for sure.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Interesting, looks like it only does AAC with a few presets, though that's still really handy.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:Interesting, looks like it only does AAC with a few presets, though that's still really handy.
Man, I'm surprised you didn't know about that. It's made the things I do where AAC is acceptable so much easier.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:07 pm

I normally render them right from my mastering sessions in Triumph the same time I do the wav masters. Good to know though.

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm gonna start sending AACs out now. Haha

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:25 pm

abpm wrote:
H20nly wrote:

Scratch my previous response, I was looking at the wrong file. Damn, thought i figured out a work around lol.
i wish it was that simple... but as you found out... no, changing a file extension does not compress the file. :wink:

abpm

Post by abpm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I felt like a genius for all of 5 minutes, before reality kicked in. No Mensa for me.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:41 am