Downgrading from Live 9 Suite to Live 9 Standard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wascal

Downgrading from Live 9 Suite to Live 9 Standard?

Post by wascal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm

I've come to the realization that I don't actually use any of the additional content in Suite really, and would be perfectly happy using the Standard version of Live. Is there a downgrade + refund path or would I have to sell my entire Suite licence and then buy a 2nd hand Standard licence?

If anyone has gone down this path I'm interested to hear how it went.
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

mmorgan

Re: Downgrading from Live 9 Suite to Live 9 Standard?

Post by mmorgan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:05 am

IIRC if you wait until an upgrade cycle you can upgrade to a lessor version. I know some DAWs will license in this way. So you save some money on the upgrade cycle.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 am

A lot of users probably don't use many things in the Live Suite. It's there if you need it. There are often some nice freebies and they are MFL devices and those can only be used in the Suite.

wascal

Post by wascal » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:16 pm

kitekrazy wrote:A lot of users probably don't use many things in the Live Suite. It's there if you need it. There are often some nice freebies and they are MFL devices and those can only be used in the Suite.
Very true. I was having a look at Bitwig and trying to figure out what I would miss and I just realized that I pretty much only use the M4L LFO and everything else (sample banks, fx, VI / FM synthesis etc) is covered by NI Komplete and UHe plugs. I think I've used the 30gb+ sample content in about 3 tracks since 2013 + I tend to use Reaktor over M4L for portability etc :o
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:59 pm

wascal wrote:I've come to the realization that I don't actually use any of the additional content in Suite really, and would be perfectly happy using the Standard version of Live. Is there a downgrade + refund path or would I have to sell my entire Suite licence and then buy a 2nd hand Standard licence?

If anyone has gone down this path I'm interested to hear how it went.
While in almost the same position I still can't live without
  • Max For Live
  • Convolution Reverb (Pro)
  • Corpus
  • Sampler
If it weren't for the fact I love these and I don't think it would be more than a zero sum game moneywise I'd sell and repurchase.

In your shoes, if you can wait, I'd ask Ableton about likely Live 10 upgrades policies. It may be a long time to release, but you can always ask.
If not, check what Live 9 goes for at ebay and do the math. Sometimes it's best just follow your heart and see where you end up. I abandoned Logic some years ago and I haven't come to regret this yet (Alchemy incorporation getting close to grinding my teeth) and I don't miss any content. Most content that comes with Live is pretty fluffy to me.
Make some music!

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:17 pm

I think Live's Suite if you had to buy it as a first time purchase is an over priced DAW. Yet a lot of 3rd party developers create products for the Suite.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:52 pm

kitekrazy wrote:I think Live's Suite if you had to buy it as a first time purchase is an over priced DAW. Yet a lot of 3rd party developers create products for the Suite.
Aren't most packs that you can purchase also available for Standard? What packs comes with Suite isn't very good I think. On the other hand it's not exactly bad either and it depends on what kind of music you want to make, Sure, content like this can get you going for a few years in the beginning. On the other hand you don't want to waste your time either. It's a content balance Ableton need to keep itself in control over.
Make some music!