Live 9.5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glamourboy

Re: Live 9.5

Post by glamourboy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Seems nice. Still no news on the abysmal browser?

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 pm

- Love warping in Simpler! Hopefully it'll be in Sampler for Live 10.
- Auto Filter sounds very good. It's really nice to be able to crank up the resonance and overdrive, and experiment with filter morphing. With more than 100% Q, the constant feedback when there's no sound coming through is a bit annoying, but can be solved with an envelope follower mapped to the resonance.
- The auto-colouring of tracks is nice, but I wish it didn't affect the clips - they all look the same now, and I can't choose "no colour" as default. Also, there are too many colours, and they're ugly, just like it's always been. :)

The other small changes are also quite nice, but I won't celebrate until I see layered MIDI editing.

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:Hey Andy, thanks for adding your knowledge to Live.
You're welcome!
Angstrom wrote:A small question ...
Was there any particular reason Ableton didn't ask for the Roland filters?
The MS1, JPR and SHR are the most expensive filters in terms of CPU, and if you look at the current version of The Drop you will notice there are no fixed and low CPU / MD versions of these filters, so it wasn't a good fit for Live. It has only been over the last month that I've come up with new methods to to make fixed and low CPU / MD versions of all the filter types. This is so new that it isn't even released in The Drop yet! If there is enough support in the Ableton community then it may be possible in the future that new filter circuit models can be added, for now you'll just have to put up with 4 of the worlds best sounding analog modelled filter algorithms ;)
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:09 pm

On 9.5 64 bit OSX Mavericks, the only synth in the new M4L Essentials that is working is the Multi. The others refuse to emit any sound. Anyone else having this problem?
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Tarekith wrote:There's a lot of new content that comes in the stock library now, so I'd download myself. 100's of new drum samples and drum racks, new Max devices if you have suite, etc.
That's great! Now, does anyone know what these treats are called or where they are?
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:25 pm

andy_cytomic wrote:for now you'll just have to put up with 4 of the worlds best sounding analog modelled filter algorithms ;)
Somehow I think I can do that…
Make some music!

crazynuts

Post by crazynuts » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Update for non Suite owners exist or it is just for Suite licence members?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:35 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:On 9.5 64 bit OSX Mavericks, the only synth in the new M4L Essentials that is working is the Multi. The others refuse to emit any sound. Anyone else having this problem?
have you grabbed the latest Max version (7.0.6)? i have the same setup as you and they're working fine here.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:44 pm

joeyfivecents wrote:And where are these new drum sounds and what are they called? I'm not sure why everything has to be so cryptic with this company. Is it just laziness or are they really trying hard to be like Apple? Lame.

What's with you? It's all on the web site! Maybe not in the form you'd like? Now, don't get me started on pack updates.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

cryocon2

Post by cryocon2 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm having a similar issue with the library not updating with both 9.5 and M4L 7. Previous versions of Live updated the library no problem, but this version just launches with no updates. PC with Windows 7.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 pm

cryocon2 wrote:Previous versions of Live updated the library no problem
Please alaborate on that. AFAIK the library only updates with core packs. Other packs have to be manually installed. Which is a PITA and should be changed.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 pm

crazynuts wrote:Update for non Suite owners exist or it is just for Suite licence members?
Simpler and Auto Filter are both in Live Standard, so I'm assuming those upgrades will be there. The improved metering and extra sound content should be available in Standard as well, I would think.

If you're talking about Live Lite/Intro... there might not be much new stuff.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:50 pm

So now I have to update to Max 7 in order to use this. Well, I'd have to make the jump at some point. Currently enjoying a very stable Live 9.2.3 with MFL 6.1.10.
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:53 pm

andy_cytomic wrote: The MS1, JPR and SHR are the most expensive filters in terms of CPU, and if you look at the current version of The Drop you will notice there are no fixed and low CPU / MD versions of these filters, so it wasn't a good fit for Live. It has only been over the last month that I've come up with new methods to to make fixed and low CPU / MD versions of all the filter types. This is so new that it isn't even released in The Drop yet! If there is enough support in the Ableton community then it may be possible in the future that new filter circuit models can be added, for now you'll just have to put up with 4 of the worlds best sounding analog modelled filter algorithms ;)
Thanks Andy.

An additional filter question, but one which is probably outside the area in which you can comment.

Was there any talk of providing the HD versions of the MS2, SMP, OS2 and PRD in a render-time mode?
Obviously the primary intention with Live is real-time low CPU resource conservation, but has there been any discussion on a dynamic mode-switching for offline renders? So we'd hear MD in realtime and then HD on a render.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:10 pm

oooh another update to keep me interested. Cant wait to try this out tonight. I'm a bit disappointed with Push though, its a crapshoot trying to navigate your library with Push unless you stick with stock built in stuff or spend many hours completely changing your entire library. I sold my Push due to this, Push 2 looks nice but until they make the browser much simpler to use I don't see the point in getting a Push 2.

The Link feature seems interesting, has anyone tried it out? I'm still confused on exactly what it does, can you route audio through it from IOS apps and record into Ableton over Wifi?