Live 9.5

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
musikmachine

Re: Live 9.5

Post by musikmachine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Anyway had issues? I loaded a project and it crashed hard, total freeze up and had to hard reset. Also windows said out of memory but i have 12gb installed installed, there was a 1.7gb memory dump as well. I'm reinstalling 9.2.3 anyway...

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:37 pm

24 hours and no crash, even editing M4L devices here.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Cheers, there's a lot of stuff going on so could be an errant plugin, reproduced it though but 9.2.3 is fine so i'm assuming it's bug.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.
Because electronic musicians can't co-operate? Just because you need to be drunk to jam doesn't mean everyone else won't see this as a very useful production tool.
Relax, it was a joke! I suppose you could plug in using the headphone jack from a portable device into a mixer and record into Ableton that way, not the cleanest setup, but it would work. I was just hoping for it to work where you could have a master computer and everyone else is feeding it sounds over wifi, recorded in real time and all synced. Maybe the latency is too high on wifi for this to work though.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
mekanism1200 wrote:
Ah, I see. Might be fun with friends having a drunken jam session but not that useful a production tool.
Because electronic musicians can't co-operate? Just because you need to be drunk to jam doesn't mean everyone else won't see this as a very useful production tool.
Relax, it was a joke! I suppose you could plug in using the headphone jack from a portable device into a mixer and record into Ableton that way, not the cleanest setup, but it would work. I was just hoping for it to work where you could have a master computer and everyone else is feeding it sounds over wifi, recorded in real time and all synced. Maybe the latency is too high on wifi for this to work though.
Well, the first part was, but not the last I'm sure. You're welcome though and I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Didn't mean to sound harsh. My apologies for the tone.

Yes, latency will always be a problem, so maybe Link will be best for syncing sequencers rather than real-time playing. Considering Wifi sync currently works quite bad it will be interesting to see if Link and 9.5 improves this.

For now I think Audiobus or similar over cable as well as what Audinate Dante Via will offer can become quite compelling.
Make some music!

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Well, the first part was, but not the last I'm sure. You're welcome though and I was pretty tired when I wrote that. Didn't mean to sound harsh. My apologies for the tone.

Yes, latency will always be a problem, so maybe Link will be best for syncing sequencers rather than real-time playing. Considering Wifi sync currently works quite bad it will be interesting to see if Link and 9.5 improves this.

For now I think Audiobus or similar over cable as well as what Audinate Dante Via will offer can become quite compelling.
No worries. Your reply actually got me thinking about how to use Link in production and while it doesn't offer audio just jamming can be inspirational and help spark the creative process. And we cant complain, its a free feature.

Thanks for that link, looks interesting.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm

XSIMan wrote:Sporkles

Great tracks and great website :)
Heh, cheers! (The website is embarrassingly out-of-date, and in need of a redesign, though :oops: )

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I keep reading that you can now access VST parameters in Live 9.5 and Push 2 - I'm confused, how is this different than before?

I know you can load the VST now which is different but what about VST plugins? You could always load them and configure to access the parameters, what's new there?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:18 pm

mercury007 wrote:I keep reading that you can now access VST parameters in Live 9.5 and Push 2 - I'm confused, how is this different than before?

I know you can load the VST now which is different but what about VST plugins? You could always load them and configure to access the parameters, what's new there?
Well, one new thing is that you can save your configured VST as a default configuration, so that your own layout (in theory) shows up on Push when you load the VST.

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:30 pm

OMG - simpler is actually an instrument now !!

8O
An Expert Only on What it Feels Like to be Me
& You Are Who You Google

http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
sporkles wrote: Agreed, here. Pastels, all the way, and I think it would be fair enough if the different shades kind of cycled, so that the first clip you record got the track's colour, and then the X next ones got various shades of that colour, until the palette for that colour was exhausted, and the cycle started again.
Excellent suggestion. Please post it to Feature Requests.
I don't know how close Push would get to reproducing these shades closely enough, though, and I think that may be a deciding factor to Ableton. Anyway, I was thinking something like this, where I've simply gradually reduced the brightness over eight clips and the saturation over the next eight ones:

LFO8

Post by LFO8 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:55 pm

I am glad that 9.5 now lets clips be automatically colored by the track color, but I was surprised that the clips you already have loaded onto a track do not change color when you change the tracks color?? 8O

That was the kind of proper behaviour (and timesaver) I was expecting to be honest.
ImageAsylum Sound Music and Sound Design

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 pm

I made a M4l patch the other day so that recorded clips once again get a random color assigned to them but I have to say that I really like what you're showing here. Guess this calls for an update to add a gradient feature 8)

At first I was a bit skeptic about Live's color palette which seems to have the colors all over the place when focusing on the color_index (example: you get a green clip color at value's 4, 15, 16, 26, etc.) but then I remembered that all you need to do is convert the decimal color value (from the color property) into hex before messing with it. After you have the hex value then all it takes is a little subtraction :)

We'll see what I can come up with, but credit where credits due if I pull this off ;)
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:21 pm

sporkles wrote:Anyway, I was thinking something like this, where I've simply gradually reduced the brightness over eight clips and the saturation over the next eight ones
In the mean time I tried to automate this using my RecClipColor M4l device and well, it's far from perfect but it's a start:

With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:35 am

sporkles wrote: I was thinking something like this, where I've simply gradually reduced the brightness over eight clips and the saturation over the next eight ones:

I'll vote for this. I think it's a great idea, if optional.
Make some music!