My Complaint With the Direction of Live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stringtapper

Re: My Complaint With the Direction of Live.

Post by stringtapper » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:I just think it's not the right solution.
Then define the problem.

(The point being that whatever you define it as, obviously Henke and Behles saw a different problem.)
Unsound Designer

bwax

Post by bwax » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:20 pm

2 cents

When I was on Live 32 bit, M4L was absolutely unusable. Constant crashes and slooooow behavior. Endless amounts of spinning beachballs on the mac. Upgraded to 64 bit... everything works fine.

Won't work for everybody's situation, I'm sure. But it may help somebody. Good luck.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 pm

sonik777 wrote:Seriously why haven't these been developed as native devices?
I hear Bitwig has an LFO device but do any other DAWs? How many standalone LFOs do you see in hardware (hint: none)?

I wouldn't call it a "must have" feature because I never had it until I upgraded to Suite and got M4L 8) I always just bought plugins or hardware with plenty of on board modulation like Absynth, Alchemy, DSI Evolver, dotcom modular.

Would I prefer a native LFO over the M4L one? Probably. But the M4L one is there and it works, so I'm good.

My guess is that the underlying architecture makes it difficult if not impossible to pass automation between native devices. But that's just a guess...
Angstrom wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. I know how to use it. I just think it's not the right solution.
Seems to me that being able to roll your own custom devices is a good thing. The programming of the devices isn't meant to be musical, how could it be?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:01 am

doghouse wrote: I hear Bitwig has an LFO device but do any other DAWs?
FL, Logic at least? There may be others too.