Folders being erased off disk when moving around in Browser!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexfsu

Folders being erased off disk when moving around in Browser!

Post by alexfsu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:43 am

I've been getting the 'unknown file id' message for a couple months now and from reading the forums and talking with Ableton, there's no solution. When naming files and moving them around, a popup appears saying 'unknown file id'. If you press enter the file usually performs its action and the popup goes away, but today I realized that every time I do this, not only does the folder not move to where I placed it, it literally disappears from the hard drive--I tried searching for the folders. Luckily I have Time Machine engaged, but I did a lot of moving around yesterday and I have to now see what may be completely erased from my hard drive. Gut wrenching if you have folders with a lot of samples in them. Is there any solution at all to this yet?

tom_d

Re: Folders being erased off disk when moving around in Browser!

Post by tom_d » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

That sounds like a hell of a bug, I'd get back to Ableton support straight away - data loss is pretty much the worst thing a program can cause so I'm sure they'll look at it with high priority! I've never come across this or heard of it so I wonder if it could be related to a faulty drive on your machine or something?
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Stromkraft

Re: Folders being erased off disk when moving around in Browser!

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:25 pm

alexfsu wrote:today I realized that every time I do this, not only does the folder not move to where I placed it, it literally disappears from the hard drive--I tried searching for the folders.
This does not sound like the file-id issue but something else. I encounter this dialog maybe 2-3 times a quarter, not more. Assuming this is OS X (=), have you verified permissions and/or rebuilt your user permissions? The latter needs a terminal command.
Make some music!