Live 9.5 crashes/issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musikmachine

Re: Live 9.5 crashes/issues

Post by musikmachine » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Osteja0713 wrote:All of you windows users...time for a Mac.
What about the guy on Yosemite? ;)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 pm

9.5 seemed so good and stable at first, but this weekend it seems like anything I throw at it will make it crash. Just now, I was just goofing around with Push and a few instances of Massive. Had to leave the room for ten minutes, and when I came back, Live had frozen and I had to force quit.

jmeginsk

Post by jmeginsk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm

continuous crashes in 9.5/ this is awful. totally related to custom drum racks

albertpaixao

Post by albertpaixao » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:19 pm

My live crashes every time I hit save! :cry:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:48 pm

My files open fine in 9.5 Suite but any sort of intense XY pad tomfoolery will crash it as well as trying to scale large groups of midi notes in midi clips. CPU usage through the roof sometimes. Some crash reports I haven't been able to send because they are larger than my email provider allows and I don't work for this company so I don't see why I should be opening email accounts and sending them emails all day just to help them develop their product that I already bought which occasionally fails and is buggy AF. Oh, I'm sorry. Went off on a tangent there.

OS X Yosemite
2.9 gHz
8 gb RAM

lunch

Post by lunch » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 pm

I've submitted many many crash dumps to crashes@ableton, had an email conversation with support- support was not able to help, and told me it was probably my computer's fault, which is bologna. 8.4.2 works perfectly fine. 9.5 locks up if i look at it funny. The computer is the constant, the version of live is the variable.

So I tried the 9.5.1b4 beta, it locks up in the same way. Sent 2 completely different ways to cause the problem to the beta team with screen shots and even dump files from visual studio to capture the state of them. One of them got closed as a duplicate, the other said they cannot reproduce.

I will download 9.5.1b5 and give it a shot. If it doesn't get any better I will definitely be going back to 8.4.2 forever.

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 am

Its the 3rd beta version im trying, its more stable, but the cpu spike is still insane, it ruins my work, my songs made in 9.2 is unplayable, because of the cpu spikes goes up to 100% 200% and more, when playing live 9.5 or the latest beta, just because of some vst,s ive got. many of my vst,s is unplayable because of the cpu mayhem. take Serum, find a pad preset and play a chord, it goes mad and unplayable. live 9.2 runs without any problem with my most heavy vst,s, so its not my computer. and i really havent got any pleasure with the fantastic Push 2, and live since the 9.5 upgrade.

even the start song that follows with a new installation of live goes up to 80 - 90%, and thats only with native able instruments and push 2 !

in my studio, my computer is not as good as my home computer, but it runs without any problem with 9.2. no insane cpu spikes what so ever...

So for now, my Push 2, goes in the closet together with live 9.5 and all the beta versions ive spend so much time with goes the same way, until santa comes with a Live 9.6 that can handle cpu like 9.2.

win 10, 64bit, 16 gb ram, intel 8xcore i7-4790 cpu 3.60zh, propellerhead balance

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

http://lovelight.biz/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:44 pm

As there are people running 9.5 including the betas without unusual CPU spikes isn't sorta important that some statistics get gathered?

Data I would like to know, some of which I'm sure Ableton would like to know too, is stuff like
  • OS and version and bit
  • Processor, model and type
  • 32bit or 64bit Live and bridging solution if any
  • Any Plug-ins in use, brand and version
  • Audio Interface, driver version and firmware
  • Latency settings with sample rate
  • Common Max Devices in use
  • Max version
  • Disk type and size, including free space
  • A full description of the type of issue (and how to recreate it if known)
  • Controller used
  • Intel Speedstep settings
  • Did 9.5 improve or worsen issues (or appeared first with it?)
That could be a starting point for comparisons.
If this can be collected, maybe there is a pattern? I assume some of this has been discussed, but if all can contribute all data they have in the same way this can be compared in a useful way.

Even if Ableton need to do a lot of work, and I do assume they are doing this, tallying up data prevent you going crazy and sometimes leads to insights that can help you find a solution.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Data I would like to know, some of which I'm sure Ableton would like to know too, is stuff like

Personally I've experienced troublesome behaviour with Native Instruments Reaktor synths, like Razor, Monark and others since 9.1 at least. 9.5 improved performance for me.

My data:
  • OS and version and bit: OS X 10.9.5 (64bit as all OS X versions since 10.8)
  • Processor, model, speed and type: Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, crippled to 2Ghz most likely (see speedstep)
  • 32bit or 64bit Live: 64bit Live
  • Any Plug-ins in use, brand and version: Native Instruments Reaktor 5.9.2 when having issues (64bit).
  • Audio Interface and driver used:RME Babyface, driver 2.10, Firmware 223
  • Latency settings: 128 samples at 44.1Khz
  • Max Devices in use: Convolution Reverb and Dub Machunes Magnetic
  • Max version: 6.1.10
  • Disk type and size, including free space: SSD 1TB, with only 8% free currently (should be 20%)
  • A full description of the type of issue: Crackles meaning the sound breaks up as if CPU is struggling. Typically also under light load and with higher latency.
  • Controller used: Push 1
  • Intel Speedstep settings: Off trough a hack
  • Did 9.5 improve or worsen issues: Improved
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

lunch

Post by lunch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 pm

did some more tests regarding my problem.

windows 10, 8gb ram.

i have a set that was saved with 8.4.2 that will hang 9.5+ any time you open it.

8.4.2 32 bit works.
9.2.3 32 bit works.
9.5 32 bit hangs.
9.5.1b4 32 bit hangs.
9.5.1b5 32 bit hangs.
9.5.1b6 32 bit hangs.

at least i learned that 9.2.3 is not as bad as 9.5.

dalisnightmare

Post by dalisnightmare » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm on Mavericks and Live 9.2.3. Everything works PERFECTLY, no crashes or glitches and no malfunctioning plugins (even the shittiest freeware plugins), I can work for hours with no problems. But I really like the new features on 9.5, would you recommend me updating to 9.5 or is it better to stay safe in 9.2? Anyone has encountered any problems with Live 9.5 in Mavericks?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:52 pm

dalisnightmare wrote:I'm on Mavericks and Live 9.2.3. Everything works PERFECTLY, no crashes or glitches and no malfunctioning plugins (even the shittiest freeware plugins), I can work for hours with no problems. But I really like the new features on 9.5, would you recommend me updating to 9.5 or is it better to stay safe in 9.2? Anyone has encountered any problems with Live 9.5 in Mavericks?
I can't say that I have, though I've had some standing smaller issues that began with 9.1 or even before. On Mac at least you can always keep the old version around until you've made up your mind by renaming it.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 am

lunch wrote:I've submitted many many crash dumps to crashes@ableton, had an email conversation with support- support was not able to help, and told me it was probably my computer's fault, which is bologna. 8.4.2 works perfectly fine. 9.5 locks up if i look at it funny. The computer is the constant, the version of live is the variable.

So I tried the 9.5.1b4 beta, it locks up in the same way. Sent 2 completely different ways to cause the problem to the beta team with screen shots and even dump files from visual studio to capture the state of them. One of them got closed as a duplicate, the other said they cannot reproduce.

I will download 9.5.1b5 and give it a shot. If it doesn't get any better I will definitely be going back to 8.4.2 forever.
Just adding that I tried this project of lunch's originating from Live 8 and it opens no problem in OS X 10.9.5 into Live 9.5 64bit and into Live 9.5.1b6 32bit with no missing files, but in Windows 7 it crashes Live 9.1.8 (couldn't try 9.5 at the moment) at buffering samples. Possibly then this particular problem is one on the Windows platform and is not specific to Live 9.5.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Hey guys, please report your issues to support@ableton.com
Live 9.5 hanging opening older sets is most probably due to external plugins. I won't detail why because it's out of my scope, but please make sure to report to help the devs fixing this.
cheers!
Ableton Forum Moderator

designwebuk

Post by designwebuk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:22 pm

I have been having serious issues with 9.5. Keep getting lag, glitches and high CPU spikes, even with small projects that only have a few tracks.
I have contacted support and posted my issues in the beta forum, but I'm not getting the answers.
Ableton is unusable for me a this point and I wish I had not bought Push 2, as I was actually using Push 1 and PXT General with Reaper and it was very stable before.
I fell for the Push 2 hype and I'm regretting it now.
There are definitely stability issues and bugs which Ableton need to fix soon. If they don't I will sell my Ableton products.
Ableton 8 used to be rock solid and as other people have mentioned on here, they should not even call it live anymore as you could never trust it in a live situation.
I'm on a MacBook Pro with 16gb ram, ssd and Yosemite. I have no issues with Reaper or Pro Tools and can normally run large projects at 128 buffer with no issues.
With Live 9.5 even 4 or more tracks can spin my cpu into overdrive.
Come on Ableton pull your finger out and give us a stable product.