Live 9.5 crashes/issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
golemus

Re: Live 9.5 crashes/issues

Post by golemus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:39 pm

A bit offtopic but:

Live 9.5 came out like a lightning from the sky. Even minor updates like 9.2.x have quite long beta testing period so how is it possible that a major update like 9.5 does not have a public beta testing period...?

golemus

Post by golemus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 pm

my wild guess would be that Ableton will want part of this Christmas sale with Push2 and went bit ahead of the things. Anyway I will be in 9.2.x for a while until it is stable enough :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Maybe the beta testing just wasn't public :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

rcarter88

Post by rcarter88 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:18 pm

TAPPY42 - Its apparent that the custom presets (.adg) are broken, which are causing the crashes and need to be repaired. There use to be a Library Repair function in the older Ableton versions, but I don't see that option available in Ableton 9.

TAPPY42

Post by TAPPY42 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:40 pm

rcarter88 wrote:TAPPY42 - Its apparent that the custom presets (.adg) are broken, which are causing the crashes and need to be repaired. There use to be a Library Repair function in the older Ableton versions, but I don't see that option available in Ableton 9.
It's some relief that at least it may be a common problem that a fix will be made for... 9.2 for me in the meantime!

rcarter88

Post by rcarter88 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:55 am

Tarekith wrote:Please send a copy of your racks to support@ableton.com and let them know, hopefully it can get sorted asap for you.
I took your advice and is currently waiting on a response. :|

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:35 am

I, too, am getting crashes with just an empty set and dragging in audio files. As well as several other varieties of crashes. Just keep on sending in those crash reports.

I'm finding really poor compatibility with my Apollo as well. Launching Live it will just hang on 100% CPU and either crash or finally launch. Any slight preference change with Live such as sample rate or buffer size will cause a CPU spike and freeze. Hm.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 am

Live crashed for me when I tried to use the new Multi synth in M4L. No problems otherwise.

jh0303

Post by jh0303 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:58 am

I am having THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS!!!! SO FRUSTRATING.

Custom drum racks are the worst culprit, as are creating new drum racks out of sample wav. files from sound packs I've had forever.

I can't open or use anything I created prior to the update without it crashing as well.

I run a 1TB SSHD on a well kept macbook pro with 16 GBs of Ram and the latest El Capitan OSX.

I'm guessing we are going to have to wait for a patch or another update which is a total let down, but in the meantime is there a way to download and reinstall my previous version of Live 9 from the Ableton site????

Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry you are all experiencing this as well :-(

joe90

Post by joe90 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 am

I'm also getting regular crashes ( 6 or 7 today on one project, with recovery sometimes helping but not always), and multiple 9.2.x projects that were running ok ( though busy on CPU ~80%), now load and are unplayable with cpu over 100%. Live setup correctly. Tried both my Mytek DAC via firewire and RME soundcard via USB. Same issues.

Macbook pro 2015
OSX 10.10.5
live 9.5
Too many plugins to list.

edit - have sent in several crash reports.

UnderwaterSunlight

Live 9.5 crashes: Narrowing down to a possible cause...

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 pm

One crash that I in particular had is gone!!! (The test set crash with many Waves TrueVerbs I described earlier in this thread.)

What I did (thanks to David of Ableton for the hint):
I deactivated all options in "Options.txt" by putting "-_" at the beginning of each line instead of "-"
(This "Options.txt" resides in the well-known "Preferences" subfolder on the system drive.)

(I observed that the Options.txt doesn't need to be removed from the Preferences folder, only deactivate all options in it.)

Small buffer size of 128 samples was not the cause of the crashes on my machine, apparently it runs fast enough for my sets.

Well, I must yet test whether there are any custom "*.ADG" related issues on my system (broken device files described by some fellow users)...
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

UnderwaterSunlight

Sorry. The problem still persists...

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:53 pm

The crashing can just temporarily be avoided by rebooting Windows, then starting Live and loading the set.

However, if I again close Live, wait some seconds, restart Live, reload the same set, start playback, it will crash... even when I have removed the Options.txt from the "Preferences" folder...

Will have to test some more...
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

paulmaddox

Post by paulmaddox » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:22 pm

First full day on 9.5 and plagued with crashes here. Couple of 9.2 projects wouldn't load at all, and several seemingly random crashes (dropping plugins onto a channel, consolidating an audio clip etc).

Also had instances of UI glitchiness (blank window when selecting where to put rendered file).

Love the new features, but 9.5 feels seriously unfinished in terms of QC

blueprint

Post by blueprint » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:54 pm

I haven't even been able to open up ONE project yet. This is obviously a move by Ableton to test stability of new features, since they didn't charge us for the new update... Imagine if they did charge us lol, there would be a major uproar.

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:53 pm

yol dudes,

I had a monster crump this afternoon. I have been giving some older sets a revamp and one in particular had midi and frozen audio of the midi. The instruments were all turned off so there was no abnormal load.
The audio only had the odd EQ effect and when it got to a certain point...crash! bang! wallop!

I went through all the midi tracks and released them to the bin (be off with you midi I cried. Not really). Then I played around with the set once more, only containing audio, and no more crashes.

Old instruments? Even though turned off, still using RAM?

I might try opening the track prior to the culling of the midi and upgrade all the upgradable components and see if the crashing problem remains.

Oh yes and one other thing which I failed to mention...the set opened OK but whilst playing the arrangement back it crashed at a point in the playback. I'm guess when the computer ran out of memory. Looks like 8Gb is no longer enough.

https://soundcloud.com/joel-wenham-jones