Anyone else having an issue with 'Auto-Assign Track Colors?"

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
zeepster

No Color option? 9.5

Post by zeepster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:09 am

Love the update. But can you please add the [No Color] option back for tracks?
That would usually be the background color. Very easy to look at, and to build on, gradually coloring tracks that are key.

There's no way now to select the background color as default track color.

ShelLuser

Re: No Color option? 9.5

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:29 am

zeepster wrote:Love the update. But can you please add the [No Color] option back for tracks?
Agreed. But I think this would now interfere with the session clips which automatically get the track color assigned to them (which is a feature I personally dislike).

I'm not sure which color scheme you're using but there are settings to make the color more or less blend in.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:43 am

ShelLuser wrote:
zeepster wrote:Love the update. But can you please add the [No Color] option back for tracks?
Agreed. But I think this would now interfere with the session clips which automatically get the track color assigned to them (which is a feature I personally dislike).

I'm not sure which color scheme you're using but there are settings to make the color more or less blend in.
Yes that too. I would like a simple on/off option for auto coloring both tracks and clips.

I use the Cloud scheme and no grey tint color matches that background. It's an eyesore seeing tracks not fitting the theme when they're grey now.

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:29 am

yeah, there is no background color option, however you can turn off auto coloring, and set the default color all tracks should start with. Then just choose the same color as your background.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:46 am

bencodec wrote:yeah, there is no background color option, however you can turn off auto coloring, and set the default color all tracks should start with. Then just choose the same color as your background.
That's what i tried too, but you can't. I use the Cloud scheme and no grey tint color matches that background. I doubt it matches for many other schemes.

ash1

ableton 9.5 Auto assign Clip Color help

Post by ash1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 am

regarding the auto colour when i drag a sample in or a loop to ableton the colors dont match is this a bug

ShelLuser

Re: ableton 9.5 Auto assign Clip Color help

Post by ShelLuser » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:37 pm

The colors don't match what exactly? The track color? Because the default behavior in Live 9.5 is that clips will always get the track color assigned to them. In previous Live versions the clips would get a random color.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).

ash1

Re: ableton 9.5 Auto assign Clip Color help

Post by ash1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:54 pm

my mistake it colors midi clips the same but not audio clips

solovox

Anyone else having an issue with 'Auto-Assign Track Colors?"

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 am

It seems whether I have this assignment 'On' or 'Off,' Live 9.5 is making each clip the color of it's track. That particular method does not work with my particular flow, so I would like things to go back to Random colors, but it seems like it's not working.

Anyone else having this issue? Is it a bug or am I missing something?
Live Show Rig: quad-core i7, 16 gig RAM, SSD, MOTU Ultralite, Windows 7.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Echo Layla PCI, Windows 10

Idonotlikebroccoli

Re: Anyone else having an issue with 'Auto-Assign Track Colors?"

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:40 am

They seem to have removed random clip colours. I guess they decided it's better if they all look exactly the same. I would also like them back.
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 am

Well, according to their information it's supposed to be optional with the Preference button...but it's not working.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:36 am

...isn't the option only related to the coloring of the track?...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Oh my God. I think you're right.

So Ableton thinks we want every clip in every channel to be the exact same color??

Who would want this? How am I going to tell different musical ideas apart onstage? Are we supposed to MANUALLY change the color of every clip from now on?

This can't be for real.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:08 pm

...i want this!!!!...within my set i have a different color for each track and each track represents an "intrument type" like pads, bass, keys and so on...having a bunch of different various clip colors confuses me...actually i was happy when sonicbloom released a m4l device that does what now is the standard...
macbook pro late 2016, osx 10.13.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.0.1, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.7.6, touchable

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:13 pm

+1

I'm also highly annoyed with this change in behavior, and it makes me seriously worry about how much the Push is going to dominate the Live workflow. From what I read this change has some advantages on the Push; it helps with identifying tracks or clips (it's hear-say on my part since I don't use a Push myself), but as you also noticed it negatively affects the workflow for everyone who doesn't have (or uses) Push.

Right now you can prevent tracks from getting a random color assigned to them, but you can't stop this static behavior for clips :/

Anyway, there is some hope if you have Max for Live; look at this post. My patch can be downloaded here. It basically brings back the old behavior where clips get a random color assigned to them. One possible caveat is that it will only work on the currently selected track. So you might need to keep "Select on launch" turned on.

Maybe fun: As of version 1.5 the patch also provides optional support for gradients: making the color of a new clip darker than the one above it. Its far from perfect, but does work in several cases (sporkles gave me this idea).

But yeah, I would also like a preference setting which allows us to turn random color assignments for clips back on.
With kind regards,

Peter