Anyone else having an issue with 'Auto-Assign Track Colors?"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solovox

Re: Anyone else having an issue with 'Auto-Assign Track Colors?"

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 pm

ShelLuser wrote:+1

I'm also highly annoyed with this change in behavior, and it makes me seriously worry about how much the Push is going to dominate the Live workflow. From what I read this change has some advantages on the Push; it helps with identifying tracks or clips (it's hear-say on my part since I don't use a Push myself), but as you also noticed it negatively affects the workflow for everyone who doesn't have (or uses) Push.

Right now you can prevent tracks from getting a random color assigned to them, but you can't stop this static behavior for clips :/

Anyway, there is some hope if you have Max for Live; look at this post. My patch can be downloaded here. It basically brings back the old behavior where clips get a random color assigned to them. One possible caveat is that it will only work on the currently selected track. So you might need to keep "Select on launch" turned on.

Maybe fun: As of version 1.5 the patch also provides optional support for gradients: making the color of a new clip darker than the one above it. Its far from perfect, but does work in several cases (sporkles gave me this idea).

But yeah, I would also like a preference setting which allows us to turn random color assignments for clips back on.
Thanks for the tip, but for various reasons this will not work for me. I'd rather not weigh down my boot up time even more with running Max4Live in a live situation.
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

soundsliketree

Post by soundsliketree » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:44 pm

What a horrible update to the coloring behavior.

For my purposes, having all the clips in a track colored the same as the track is not useful. It's the opposite of what I want.

Not only do I want the random clip color option back, but what I have wanted for a long time is the ability to select a block of clips, right-click and choose from such options as:
• randomize clip colors
• sequentially shift colors along gradient

These are both useful for when you've duplicated and then altered clips and wound up with a bunch of same-colored clips and would like to distinguish between them.

Ableton, please don't change default behaviors and remove features. Rather, add features.
This seems like an obvious principle to me.

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Even though the assign random colors features has been removed you can still right-click on a clip and choose a different clip color. So while not automatically assigned as random we are not locked into having clips colors match track colors.

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Bobbyandreano wrote:Even though the assign random colors features has been removed you can still right-click on a clip and choose a different clip color. So while not automatically assigned as random we are not locked into having clips colors match track colors.
Well of course, and that's what I'm having to do. It adds an entire layer of labor to my work in the studio (and when is adding work a 'good' feature?), but more damaging is what it will do to my live act, which features live loop creation onstage. I do not want to be changing colors manually of clips onstage.

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 pm

soundsliketree wrote:What a horrible update to the coloring behavior.

For my purposes, having all the clips in a track colored the same as the track is not useful. It's the opposite of what I want.

Not only do I want the random clip color option back, but what I have wanted for a long time is the ability to select a block of clips, right-click and choose from such options as:
• randomize clip colors
• sequentially shift colors along gradient

These are both useful for when you've duplicated and then altered clips and wound up with a bunch of same-colored clips and would like to distinguish between them.

Ableton, please don't change default behaviors and remove features. Rather, add features.
This seems like an obvious principle to me.
Brilliant ideas!

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:02 pm

I have created a Poll so let's put it out there!

Poll: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=218233

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm

solovox wrote:I have created a Poll so let's put it out there!

Poll: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=218233
But your poll said nothing about the "No color" option. :'(