Confused: Audio Interface Setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingmauri

Confused: Audio Interface Setup

Post by kingmauri » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Hey!

Here some device newbie questions:

I have a TR8 drum machine and the Microbute (analog Synth) and as a audio interface NI Audio 10 (which is more a DJ interface in my opinion.
Because the NI Audio have no gain controI I want to buy a solid audio interface. Read many reviews about the Apollo Twin and all seems kind of happy about this product....but...I think I misunderstood some basic concepts :)
There are no inputs for connecting stuff like severals synths, drum machines ect. If I compare other audio interfaces there are so much more inputs - so someone can explain me that please? Do I need some kind of mixer connected to the audio interface and then connect to devices to the mixer? I see a lot of studio pictures with 5 synths, 10 drum machines and 342 effect devices. what is the best way to connect all that stuff together..

Thx a lot for answers... :)

EDIT: Just saw that the Apollo 8 or 16 Quad have more connecting possibilites...hmmm...more confused :)

Stromkraft

Re: Confused: Audio Interface Setup

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

kingmauri wrote: There are no inputs for connecting stuff like severals synths, drum machines ect. If I compare other audio interfaces there are so much more inputs - so someone can explain me that please?
Explain what? Different interfaces have a different number of ins and outs. The Audio 10 has four ins. My RME Babyface also has 4 analogue ins, but 10 in total if you count the ADAT channels.
Make some music!

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:52 pm

So the Apollo Twin Duo has two combo jacks on the back and a line instrument in on the front. However, as an interface in can carry up to 10 simultaneous discreet sinals. This is done through the optical connection on the back. So, while you only have 2 (maybe three?) traditional physical inputs, if you have another interface (or instrument, I suppose) that can send optical, that single optical connection can handle 8 discreet channels simultaneously.

Hope this helps!

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Also, as I understand it, the TR8 is it's own audio interface via USB, which also includes 2 inputs on the back that should be plenty for your minibrute. Couldn't you just use that?

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:51 am

thx both for reply!

i could use the interface from the tr8, but the interface can only just be run in 96khz mode...weird but it's like that :)
also i want a setup which i can expand, like connecting more stuff, so i'm not limited.

didnt knew about the optical connection. thx...need to google a bit how i can use this efficient.

have a nice week.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 pm

kingmauri wrote:Hey!

Here some device newbie questions:

I have a TR8 drum machine and the Microbute (analog Synth) and as a audio interface NI Audio 10 (which is more a DJ interface in my opinion.
Because the NI Audio have no gain controI I want to buy a solid audio interface. Read many reviews about the Apollo Twin and all seems kind of happy about this product....but...I think I misunderstood some basic concepts :)
There are no inputs for connecting stuff like severals synths, drum machines ect. If I compare other audio interfaces there are so much more inputs - so someone can explain me that please? Do I need some kind of mixer connected to the audio interface and then connect to devices to the mixer? I see a lot of studio pictures with 5 synths, 10 drum machines and 342 effect devices. what is the best way to connect all that stuff together..

Thx a lot for answers... :)

EDIT: Just saw that the Apollo 8 or 16 Quad have more connecting possibilites...hmmm...more confused :)

It really depends on several things and there are pros and cons of each alternative. One thing to keep in mind though is that most interfaces with Line inputs have no gain control. Line levels are usually controlled from the source but here are the options:

1. Small analog mixer. You can connect the main output to the input of your soundcard. The advantage would be you could hook up many sources to a small soundcard and probably could be done cheaply (You would also have another control of gain). The disadvantage is the mixer might possibly introduce some artifacts such as noise/distortion/coloration. Some people though prefer this to a very clean/sterile sound. Most Analog mixers usually have built-in filters/rudimentary EQ as well.

2. Small digital mixer. Probably the same benefits as number one except if your interface has digital inputs, you can connect digitally and would have a cleaner audio path than the analog mixer (most likely). You would need to do your research though as an older mixer might use older mixing technology which could end up adding artifacts. A 32 bit floating point mixing engine or higher would be preferred. Other advantages is that some digital mixers can also double as control surfaces for Live and also have built-in effects, and sometimes these are great. This option could be costly as digital mixers vary greatly in price.

3. Mixer/Audio interface. I think Mackie makes a model of a mixer that is an audio interface. Behringer might as well. As long as it has decent ASIO drivers, this might be a good solution. This could be pricey depending on what you get. Some of these are also control surfaces as well.

4. Large Audio Interface with External AD converter using Adat I/O. This would ideally be a very clean setup, take up little space. Drawbacks is that this could cost some money as most audio interfaces with adat I/O start at around $500 and the cheapest A/D converter set is made by Behringer at about $200 (and the more expensive ones are drastically higher). Bigger drawbacks is that you might have to worry about clocking the converters together with wordclock for them to stay in sync (otherwise you could get nasty pops and clicks or no sound at all). Also the Behringer model iimits the sample rate to 44.1 and 48khz.

5. Large Audio interfaces that can be daisychained together. Many audio interfaces (Mostly Firewire and Thunderbolt) can be daisychained together without having to worry about clocking as the clocking will be handled over firewire or Thunderbolt. I don't think there are any USB interfaces that can do this (or I might be wrong). This could be a clean way as well but these interfaces tend to be the costly ones (such as UAD Apollos, Motus).

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:08 pm

@ kingmauri - what's you budget for this interface?

there are a lot of options that have 8, 16, 32 inputs but they can get expensive. often people want to have everything you are asking for under $500 bucks and that isn't going to happen with any quality interface that i can think of. if you can spend around $1200.00 you should be able to walk away with the grand prize.

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:16 pm

@jlgrimes
thx a lot! exactly what i needed as answer!!!

@h20nly
thx for asking. my budget is about 1000-1200$ ....so i can walk away with the grand prize :)

the plugins from uaudio looks very interesting and professional. to run this stuff without reducing the CPU sounds very interesting to me.
i think a combo like jlgrimes said is the best for me. like an apollo twin with an analog mixer to connect more stuff...what do you think?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 pm

kingmauri wrote:i think a combo like jlgrimes said is the best for me. like an apollo twin with an analog mixer to connect more stuff...what do you think?
agreed.

UA or RME are the only two i would look at if i was upgrading (currently using an Apogee). i've been drooling over the Apollo Twin myself for a while now.
the mixer makes sense if you're using multiple inputs at the same time

jlgrimes is full of useful info... from what i've seen, he won't steer you wrong.

so, if the shoe fits...

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:48 am

sorry for late reply...
yeah - me too...UA or RME.

just one last question mate:
i saw that a lot if mixers have more mono inputs than stereo...should you consider to take a mixer with more stereo inputs for long-term planing? like i said at the moment just the minibrute (which is mono) then the Tr8 drum machine (which is also mono...hmm....i think...no wait...you can pan the kits individually and with reverb stuff should be stereo). so one 1 mono and 1 stereo AT THE MOMENT...but i don't want to buy every year a new mixer.

EDIT: maybe for my setup the Roland MX-1 is something to look at.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:57 am

often the mono inputs can be combined to make a stereo track. you coiuld also accomplish this inside Live by creating 3 tracks and routing - left + right = stereo. delete or keep the left and right tracks, your choice. if you keep them, you can use them for effects etc.

remember that a lot of keyboards may have stereo outs, but bass and guitars typically don't. how many keyboards will you play and/or record at one time?

what else is there ? turntables?

for a mic you want an XLR input anyway...

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:17 am

makes sense.

i think most of the time there will be the tr8 and 2 synths playing at the same time. maybe in future 1-2 effect devices (reverb, delay etc.). dont think that i will have turntables or other stuff connected.

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:44 pm

All you need is an 8 channel preamp and a universal audio twin. Now you have 10 inputs.
F34TH3R

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:48 pm

This might be a better option if you aren't sold on that universal audio twinhttp://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZenStudio
A little pricey but worth every ¢
F34TH3R

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:05 am

Osteja0713 wrote:This might be a better option
Here's a review of that Antelope Audio Zen Studio from Recording Magazine.
Make some music!