Flickering Menus in 9.5 on OSX MBP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joris

Re: Flickering Menus in 9.5 on OSX MBP

Post by joris » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:28 pm

I'm also experiencing this on a 2015 retina Macbook Pro with Sierra. Here's what Ableton support has to say :

" This issue is a bug that we are aware of, affecting Sierra machines with Retina displays. As of now, there is no known solution, but it is being worked on and hopefully we will see it resolved in an upcoming update to Live. By writing in, you have helped to boost the priority for fixing this issue."

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:48 pm

joris wrote:I'm also experiencing this on a 2015 retina Macbook Pro with Sierra. Here's what Ableton support has to say :

" This issue is a bug that we are aware of, affecting Sierra machines with Retina displays. As of now, there is no known solution, but it is being worked on and hopefully we will see it resolved in an upcoming update to Live. By writing in, you have helped to boost the priority for fixing this issue."
interesting. Seems unrelated to my issue as it's not on a retina, but if it's OpenGL it's close. My issue is mainly gone, but seems connected to preferences and I did find an abnormal way to trigger it. I'll report further developments on my issue in the the discussion for this when I've done some more work with Support. Follow Unresponsive GUI once in a while? Sounds familiar?.
Make some music!

JGPiano

Post by JGPiano » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 pm

I've also had similar things happening on my screen. It's a flickering that occurres at random times during an open Ableton session. But it's always only a second and happens far enough apart that I haven't gotten around to recording it.

I'm running my Live on the newest 2017 MacBook Pro 13" model / i7 processor / 8GB RAM

Ableton itself and also other VSTs and DAWs run smoothly, especially sound wise there hasn't been any issues. But the screen flickering is quit disturbing and worrisome.

Hope there's a fix for this soon.

ZedAustin

Post by ZedAustin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 am

Same here on live 9.7.3 on a macbook pro early 2015. By scaling the monitor on ´more space´the problem is gone.

JGPiano

Post by JGPiano » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:36 pm

ZedAustin wrote:Same here on live 9.7.3 on a macbook pro early 2015. By scaling the monitor on ´more space´the problem is gone.
@ZedAustin: What do you mean by scaling the monitor on 'More Space' ?

JGPiano

Post by JGPiano » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:36 pm

ZedAustin wrote:Same here on live 9.7.3 on a macbook pro early 2015. By scaling the monitor on ´more space´the problem is gone.
@ZedAustin: What do you mean by scaling the monitor on 'More Space' ?

joris

Post by joris » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 am

system preferences - display - scaled - more space
but the gui becomes to small to be usable for me

ZedAustin

Post by ZedAustin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am

joris wrote:system preferences - display - scaled - more space
but the gui becomes to small to be usable for me
ableton>preference>Look/Feel>Display Zoom>130%

JGPiano

Post by JGPiano » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

I tried all these option, changing scaling in macbook setting and scaling within Ableton. The issue still exists.

Now interestingly, I tried recording my screen with QuickTime player and recorded a whole session of live performance, over an hour long and it never happened. But my CPU was quite in high usage so I turned of the recording to give me some more computing headroom. Sure enough, the moment I stopped the recording and swapped back to Ableton it flickered again.
So I'll see if I can catch it on my phone or so, but I thought that was interesting. Makes me think that it's a software problem even more.

Thanks for all the help.
Hope there's a fix soon.

- JGG

joris

Post by joris » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 pm

I recently upgraded to High Sierra (10.13.1) and this seems to be resolved.