CPU Weirdness

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DukeOfPrunes

CPU Weirdness

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:47 am

I updated from 9.2.3 64 to 9.5 64 (Win 8.1) yesterday and am no longer able to use Mad Zach's Hollow Point sound pack. The CPU usage goes above 100% without doing too much!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Jean.

lovelight

Re: CPU Weirdness

Post by lovelight » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:39 pm

same problem, sky high cpu after update, old songs go bananas with the cpu and are no longer playable...

got a super pc..no problems before update.

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:49 pm

I seem to have resolved my issue. I increased my swap file to 24gb and set the puter in performance mode. As well, I disabled all the inputs and outputs that were not being used.

Before this change, just hitting he kick drums repeatedly on HollowPoint was busting the CPU limit. Now it's back to normal.

Hopefully this will help.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:39 pm

The new filters uses the MD ones from Cytomic The Drop they will require a lot more CPU than the old filters I think.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 pm

I doubt it is the filters.
On my 2009 MBP 2.8 C2D, an instance of of Auto Filter with the new filter mode in Live 9.5 uses 1% more CPU on the meter than the equivalent with the old Auto Filter on Live 9.2.3
Same goes for just toggling the new filter mode with the old on Live 9.5. 1% difference, per core, per instance.

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 pm

I thought I had resolved my issue, but the problem persists. Ever since I updated to 9.5, I hit CPU limits on various presets or using multiple sounds simultaneously. Something is not quite right with this new version.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues with CPU limits?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:10 pm

are you getting this on new (blank) projects, or is this happening when you load a default set and/or an older project?

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 pm

H20nly wrote:are you getting this on new (blank) projects, or is this happening when you load a default set and/or an older project?
Both older projects and certain polyphonic heavy (multiple voices) presets. Very strange. I did not observe this behavior with 9.2.3.

Thanks for asking.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 pm

ok.

what happens if you create a new set and strip all tracks off of it. remove any effects/racks from the Master and build it out that way (add MIDI track and audio track etc)?

are your results the same?

what i'm wondering is if one of your VSTs or effects is choking your Live instance. by starting from blank, we can prove that Live works.

another method of testing this would be to load one of the affected sets (Save As and give it a new name). then slowly remove things until you find the culprit (if there is one). so for example, remove all reverbs first. then remove all delays. then all instances of Drum Racks etc etc until the CPU goes down. if you try this, it may be good to Save the set (same [new] name, do not Save As) after each change.

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:44 pm

H20nly wrote:ok.

what happens if you create a new set and strip all tracks off of it. remove any effects/racks from the Master and build it out that way (add MIDI track and audio track etc)?

what i'm wondering is if one of your VSTs or effects is choking your Live instance. by starting from blank, we can prove that Live works.

another method of testing this would be to load one of the affected sets (Save As and give it a new name). then slowly remove things until you find the culprit (if there is one). so for example, remove all reverbs first. then remove all delays. then all instances of Drum Racks etc etc until the CPU goes down. if you try this, it may be good to Save the set (same [new] name, do not Save As) after each change.
Thanks, I will try your suggestions and revert.

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:02 pm

[/quote]ok.

another method of testing this would be to load one of the affected sets (Save As and give it a new name). then slowly remove things until you find the culprit (if there is one). so for example, remove all reverbs first. then remove all delays. then all instances of Drum Racks etc etc until the CPU goes down. if you try this, it may be good to Save the set (same [new] name, do not Save As) after each change.[/quote]

[/quote]Thanks, I will try your suggestions and revert.[/quote]

I tried a brand new project and simply loaded Mad Zach's Hollow Point Drum Rack and if I hit multiple pads quickly, it breached the CPU limit on multiple occasions. Very strange indeed. We are talking one midi track with no other plug ins loaded. This eludes me...
Last edited by DukeOfPrunes on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 pm

i'm not familiar with that Rack. is it 100% native or 3rd party?

meaning does it use any 3rd party VSTs??

also, is it Max4Live?

if so, there was a Max4Live update also released when 9.5 was. did you install that too?

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 pm

H20nly wrote:i'm not familiar with that Rack. is it 100% native or 3rd party?

Not a third party VST. A drum rack using simpler with custom sounds associated to 64 pads designed by Mad Zach.

DukeOfPrunes

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:15 pm

H20nly wrote:i'm not familiar with that Rack. is it 100% native or 3rd party?

also, is it Max4Live?

if so, there was a Max4Live update also released when 9.5 was. did you install that too?
No, not Max4Live either, but I did update to the new version 7 when I loaded 9.5.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:21 pm

:x dammit. i'm getting pissed off for you.

ok.... let's avoid Racks made by madmen.

what if you use a vanilla 100% native Live configuration? How about some drums out of Session Drums?
let's avoid anything created by anyone other than Ableton for testing purposes.

these types of issues, if not 3rd party VST related, are usually caused by a never ending loop in a reverb (for example) or a send feeding itself into infinity. some setting that used to be turned off is now on and this affected effect A, B, or C etc. Simpler (which Drum Racks rely on heavily) just got overhauled... maybe the issue lies there.
Last edited by H20nly on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.