Which soundcard driver should I install?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Arieelo

Which soundcard driver should I install?

Post by Arieelo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:02 pm

I recently bought an ESI Juli@ xte internal soundcard. Since installation I´ve beeen having problems with clicks and pops and also a weird distortion in one of my projects. I´m trying to eliminate all possible reasons for this. Does anyone know if this could be driver-related?

I have Windows 8.1 64-bit and Ableton 32-bit.

Should I use the 64-bit or 32-bit driver for the soundcard then?

Grateful for answers!

kitekrazy

Re: Which soundcard driver should I install?

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:06 pm

You can only use the 64bit drivers since it's a 64 bit OS.
Something else is going on if you are getting clicks. When Live 9 came out I created two folders so I could use 32 and 64 bit version of Live. Try the same.

Arieelo

Post by Arieelo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply! That means at least I´m using the right driver. At the moment I´m only using the 32-bit version of Ableton. Just to finish my current project since a few vst:s in it is 32-bit only. I´m planning to go fully 64-bit when this project is finished. My Ableton has also been crashing a lot since installation of the soundcard. Even after I reinstalled and upgraded to 9.5. At the moment I can´t really use Ableton because of this. Quite frustrating. I don´t know if the clicks/pops and distorted sound is related to the crashes, but it definitely started occuring at the same time. I´ve sent a crashreport to the support hoping for them to find the cause.

ajayhazzard

Post by ajayhazzard » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:46 am

Hi,

Have you setup your sound card properly?

Having the sample rate too low can cause clicks etc and always use the most recent version "ASIO" driver for your sound card.

Hopes this helps......

Ajay

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:11 pm

Also try increasing the buffer on your soundcard - usually found in hardware settings. It could be that it is set too low, which often causes clicks and stuttering. Also, as your project gets larger, you have to sometimes increase the buffer to play back your project properly ;)

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:25 pm

This card is suppose to a nice low latency card. If you can't run this under 512ms buffer setting than there is something else hogging system resources.