How do you record your analog synths?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

How do you record your analog synths?

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Do you prefer to use a preamp or a DI box?

My current struggle is getting my voyager loud enough when practicing with live.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

ImNotDedYet

Re: How do you record your analog synths?

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:34 pm

I never DI, just straight from synth to Babyface or ADA8200 inputs. You have the gain inputs on external instruments and my pres.

If you're struggling getting enough volume however, you may want to try a DI box since adding gain at the pre would just increase the noise floor.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:I never DI, just straight from synth to Babyface or ADA8200 inputs. You have the gain inputs on external instruments and my pres.

If you're struggling getting enough volume however, you may want to try a DI box since adding gain at the pre would just increase the noise floor.
My signal path is moog to SSL X Desk and the fader is already on +10 and the moog is max on the volume. The moment I record into the apollo twin and add preamp the noise floor is noticeable.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:56 pm

I have three analog synths, all completely different pre amps built in.

The Memorymoog has a big amp and needs nothing, it's loud.

The Metasonix Wretch is REALLY LOUD, definitely doesn't need a pre. <-- (this is because to run it in "pulse mode" drops the amperage drastically)

The Oberheim Xpander is REALLY QUIET, and definitely needs preamps. Not sure that DI boxes would work, it's already balanced outputs... It also runs very cool because of this, and is least likely to need repairs. Something to be said for that, so I'm not surprised modern Moogs are quiet as well.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I have three analog synths, all completely different pre amps built in.

The Memorymoog has a big amp and needs nothing, it's loud.

The Metasonix Wretch is REALLY LOUD, definitely doesn't need a pre. <-- (this is because to run it in "pulse mode" drops the amperage drastically)

The Oberheim Xpander is REALLY QUIET, and definitely needs preamps. Not sure that DI boxes would work, it's already balanced outputs... It also runs very cool because of this, and is least likely to need repairs. Something to be said for that, so I'm not surprised modern Moogs are quiet as well.

Yes they are quiet. I have analog keys and no preamp is needed because it's loud enough.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:31 pm

All my synths are older junk with unbalanced/-10 dB outputs, so their output is pretty low.

I start by running them into a Tascam lM-8ST stereo line mixer that has switchable +4 dB/-10 dB inputs. From there, I run an audio snake from the Tascam to my studio desk, where it connects to my Mackie mixer.

Between the output of the synth preamp, the line preamp in the Tascam, and the line preamp on the Mackie, I get a decent recording level (> -12 db) with a noise floor just below -80 db.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:08 pm

voyager straight in. use saturator on sinoid model to boost....

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 pm

Everything is direct to the interface. I never use pres or DIs for synths.