Complete Beginner - Need Help Getting Started

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lookitsyaboy

Complete Beginner - Need Help Getting Started

Post by lookitsyaboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:27 am

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am a complete beginner at Ableton. I have no clue how the program works or how all the tracks like MIDI and Audio function. I am not a beginner to music, I used to work with FL Studio but Ableton is a completely new work flow...

Long story short, can anyone recommend a website or tutorial series that will explain not only the basics of Ableton and all its functions but also the intermediate parts of producing music...

I am very intro producing hip-hop, trap, and electronic music (specficically future house nowadays)... Are there any tutorials people can recommend me to start with??

Thank you all very much I truly appreciate it.

Tarekith

Re: Complete Beginner - Need Help Getting Started

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

https://www.warpacademy.com

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:02 am

Also the official getting started vids on the Ableton site :)

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-l ... ng-started

abpm

Post by abpm » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:24 pm

lookitsyaboy wrote:Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am a complete beginner at Ableton. I have no clue how the program works or how all the tracks like MIDI and Audio function. I am not a beginner to music, I used to work with FL Studio but Ableton is a completely new work flow...

Long story short, can anyone recommend a website or tutorial series that will explain not only the basics of Ableton and all its functions but also the intermediate parts of producing music...

I am very intro producing hip-hop, trap, and electronic music (specficically future house nowadays)... Are there any tutorials people can recommend me to start with??

Thank you all very much I truly appreciate it.
Welcome to the fam! The way I learned Ableton was just diving in and when I had a question, YouTube pretty much always answered it. The amazing thing you'll find straight away about Ableton is that it is super intuitive. Most of the features you will get by just exploring on your own. That's one of the main reasons I love Ableton, there are no complications, searching through millions of menus, and trying to figure out complicated commands, etc. It's all there. One thing I would strongly recommend is to decide which view you prefer: Session or Arrangement. Learn one first, but give both an equal look. Most people I know use one or the other, but there is no need to complicate things and learn both at the same time.

PS - One last thing, this is ALWAYS helpful: https://www.ableton.com/answers/

PPS - Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yELcB_gAKU
And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpnOkgsrXP4

yorick2300

Post by yorick2300 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:41 pm

YMMV, but I thought that Groove3 had a decent range of tutorials. Can't beat YouTube, though.

At the risk of sounding glib, I'd urge you to read the manual before watching any videos. It's incredibly accessible and straightforward, and will probably give you a far greater grounding in the basics of Ableton than any video tutorial will.

Have fun! As the previous poster said, it's a very intuitive piece of software and very easy to learn in a short space of time.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:59 pm

Live has some great integrated lessons in Help menu...
Ableton Forum Moderator

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:23 pm

[jur] wrote:Live has some great integrated lessons in Help menu...
Agreed. It’s the first thing I did with the demo that convinced me to buy it.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:36 pm

beats me wrote:
[jur] wrote:Live has some great integrated lessons in Help menu...
Agreed. It’s the first thing I did with the demo that convinced me to buy it.
Same here, with Live 5. Dunno if it's still voice-over lessons like it was back then, but I was up and running within 30 minutes, having only used trackers prior.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:22 pm

http://www.macprovideo.com ON sale now 10$ a month if you pay for the year. I purchased Jumpstart course from warpacademy.com Om sale now 50% off.

Hope that helps

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:49 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:http://www.macprovideo.com ON sale now 10$ a month if you pay for the year.

I was a MacProVideo subscriber for years but then cancelled after a felt like they fell out of touch. Their tutorials kind of come off like old men who surveyed their kids to see what’s hot and then applied basic production principles to an embarrassing general MIDI pattern they phoned in. The presenters on Groove3 and ADSR seem a lot more on the pulse and their presentations are inspiring if you are into current genres.

login

Post by login » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:26 pm

For synth programming: Syntorial is the best.

For learning Live, groove3 and macprovideo have good courses. But personally I prefer to read the manual. There are some tricks on those courses that are worth nevertheless.

For mixing I found the courses on Lynda.com great, specially the ones on effects are IMHO superior to those on groove3 or macprovideo.

The book Sectrets of house music production is a great starting point for making music and learn the basic of everything. its also avaible on iPad.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:22 am

You might be hopeless if the included lessons that show up the first time you used Live weren't helpful at all.

If you skipped over them entirely.. go back.

If you want to waste money before you have a clue.. check out some of the links others provided ;)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:53 pm

ShelLuser wrote: But honestly: experiment, try stuff, make mistakes, do crazy things. That's how you get expression and innovation out.
Well put. Experimentation is key to getting Live. I still make experiments or just explore and learn after years with Live. And after 2 years I started reading the manual and realized that should have been the first thing to do.
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
ShelLuser wrote: But honestly: experiment, try stuff, make mistakes, do crazy things. That's how you get expression and innovation out.
Well put. Experimentation is key to getting Live. I still make experiments or just explore and learn after years with Live. And after 2 years I started reading the manual and realized that should have been the first thing to do.
Aye - learn the rules before you break em etc.

Not a necessity, but it won't hurt.