Push 2... (cause I like bashing Abes)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Willyum

Push 2... (cause I like bashing Abes)

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:56 am

The past 11 years I have had my share of complaints (while at the same time saying Live is still #1 to me). That day is over!

Although I loved Push 1, it always felt like another midi controller to me... Push 2 is definitely an instrument. Most people who are not hands-on with push 2 just won't understand how much better the pads feel once you dial in the sensitivity just right. No matter what sensitivity settings I put for Push 1, it was never quite right. Push 2 is feeling like an extension to my fingers, I can really get my instruments to 'Feel' how I need them to sound.
The Icons for the instruments are magical, when I'm looking at the Push screen seeing the encoder icons (eg, high pass filter) and actually seeing an image of a high pass filter instead of just a name and some numbers is really taking me 'there'! Everyday that I'm playing on Push, it just keeps getting more and more immersive. I have never gotten this feeling from a controller before. Another person mentioned that most of the new Live/Push features are available for other controllers, and I saw some of that before I switched old Push for new..... and it's true! But man, I didn't think I would be saying this after shelling out an extra $800... Push 2 is beyond a Home-run for Abes. They really got the look and feel 'Perfect'.

I LOVE new Push 2 and Live 9.5b1 Suite!... I no longer have 'needs', I am content!

Abes, You rock!!! You are King of the hill!

Stromkraft

Re: Push 2... (cause I like bashing Abes)

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Willyum wrote: The Icons for the instruments are magical, when I'm looking at the Push screen seeing the encoder icons (eg, high pass filter) and actually seeing an image of a high pass filter instead of just a name and some numbers is really taking me 'there'!
I close my eyes and listen as I dial it in…

I'm glad you like your Push 2. I think I'll have to try it first. I love the Push 1 with PXT Live.
Make some music!

Bobbyandreano

Post by Bobbyandreano » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Could you share your preferred pad settings? I'm curious how they match up to mine. Thanks!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Willyum wrote: The Icons for the instruments are magical, when I'm looking at the Push screen seeing the encoder icons (eg, high pass filter) and actually seeing an image of a high pass filter instead of just a name and some numbers is really taking me 'there'!
I close my eyes and listen as I dial it in…

I'm glad you like your Push 2. I think I'll have to try it first. I love the Push 1 with PXT Live.
The icons are for recognition only, just an icon of a static shape to make it quicker to recognize the knob and jump straight to it... Still have to listen to what you're doing. When you're going fast, you instantly see whether your working with sine, square, triangle etc. instantly when flipping through pages... I make jumping through pages and settings so ridiculously fast, instead of reading what setting you're on.... And even the ones that don't have the fancy icons, still have the value ring, so if there are knobs that you aren't familiar with where the top or bottom of the range is... you have a visual range like you would see in the app (with the little dot showing the automation)

It's just so much faster this way to me... Amazingly fast!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Bobbyandreano wrote:Could you share your preferred pad settings? I'm curious how they match up to mine. Thanks!
(7-4-7) 7 Sensitivity - 4 Gain - 7 Dynamics feels absolutely perfect for me, I'm lazy so I sit and produce so I need the softer touch and shorter full range... I set Clip workflow, Display @ 60% and buttons @ 50%.... For my dim room it's not too bright and for daytime it's bright enough. Mine has about 20 pads that are slightly pinkish and the rest are slightly greenish, but it's not really noticeable unless I'm looking for it... Nothing like my 'rainbow-white' Push-1... At general glance/look, it all looks uniform and all my pads have an even vignette (like when old pictures get darker in the corners). The labeled buttons felt a little weird to me at first, especially the tap tempo (that was just because they were 'different') They seemed a little harder to click/engage, doesn't feel strange at all now. I really like that I can read the buttons in any lighting perfectly fine without squinting. The weight feels good, I have min sitting on the $5 Ikea BRÄDA Laptop support (same as I have my Maschine Mk2 on) and it's heavy enough that it doesn't slide anywhere and the angle of the screen is good. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150176/

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Totally agreed. Count me in as another person who liked the Push 1 but felt that it fell WAY short of what I wanted from it. After taking advantage of the trade-in deal and receiving my Push 2, I was treated to a vast improvement in interface, look and feel. I'm definitely feeling the change in speed in my workflow, and the screen is a joy to look at.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:Totally agreed. Count me in as another person who liked the Push 1 but felt that it fell WAY short of what I wanted from it. After taking advantage of the trade-in deal and receiving my Push 2, I was treated to a vast improvement in interface, look and feel. I'm definitely feeling the change in speed in my workflow, and the screen is a joy to look at.
yup, same here. the layout of Push 1 was too amorphous, and i found using the cramped little retro display frustrating. IMO a good controller should enable a faster, more intuitive workflow. Push 2 is a great evolution...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here