User Library all of the sudden GONE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

User Library all of the sudden GONE!

Post by tintala » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:31 am

Got an error saying the library cannot be read and could be corrupt, something to that effect, a pop up in Live! . I can view my library in windows. On Pc 64 bit. I have had 0 problems ever with my library in Live. now it just won't show up all of the sudden right after the error. I was adding a track at the time it happened. Not sure how I can get Live to re read my library, nothing I do is working... I have restarted computer many times... Have only gotten the message once, now the library is gone from Live. anyone?
Live

fishmonkey

Re: User Library all of the sudden GONE!

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:45 am

i would start by running chkdsk on your drive...

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:52 am

tintala wrote:Got an error saying the library cannot be read and could be corrupt, something to that effect, a pop up in Live! . I can view my library in windows. On Pc 64 bit. I have had 0 problems ever with my library in Live. now it just won't show up all of the sudden right after the error. I was adding a track at the time it happened. Not sure how I can get Live to re read my library, nothing I do is working... I have restarted computer many times... Have only gotten the message once, now the library is gone from Live. anyone?
Live
Install again or restore from your backup drive?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm

No don't reinstall that's like cleaning your dishes with a nuclear bomb.

Do this

viewtopic.php?p=1500572#p1500572

Essentially close live and deleting the databse file - and live will regenerate it automatically next time you start the app.

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Angstrom wrote:No don't reinstall that's like cleaning your dishes with a nuclear bomb.

Do this

viewtopic.php?p=1500572#p1500572

Essentially close live and deleting the databse file - and live will regenerate it automatically next time you start the app.
Thanks , for some reason it came back after many reboots. Anyone know the cause of this scary incident ?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:31 pm

If you have another version of Live open that can prevent one version opening the Db. As for corruptions you'd have to ask Ableton.

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:08 am

I think that message about a corrupt file that you got was actually that your database was corrupted. This happened to me once. You just need to let Live run for a while uninterrupted, and preferably without much user activity. Ableton Index will rebuild your 'library' in time.

As a tip, if you're on Windows go to C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.5 [or whatever version you're on]\Database

In there is a file called... files.db. There's your Live database. If you copy that file to a safe place periodically, it'll save you a lot of waiting in case this happens again. Even if your backup of it is a little outdated, it will only have to amend the few things that have changed since you made a copy, whereas if your database is corrupted without a backup, it needs to rebuild from scratch.

It's scary when you 'lose' your library, but the more problems I've encountered, the more I realized that Ableton does a pretty good job of making sure that nothing catastrophic ever actually happens.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:45 am

Following on from that point ... It occurs to me that all of us who have beta and point version installs we forgot to delete will have a few spare database copies too. In the various "roaming" folders those versions created.