Copywritting !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EasyWorkflow

Copywritting !!!

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:37 am

I know if I searched this item I am sure has been discussed in every possible manner. But we all know that what was relevant yesterday in this industry, can overnight change and not have same significance. I hoping just a few pros who really understand the current state of this important aspect of of the business can buzz in with your thoughts. Personally, I would prefer never to have to copy-write anything because anything to do with legal crap and not music just ruins the buzz for me. I want to write, play, post, read feedback, and repeat.

Seems like there are two classes of people.

1.) Many folks will post everything they have online, never copy write it, and even tell people to please take an idea you like. They are just enjoying themselves and having fun.

2.) There are people more serious than hobbyists but still post everything with out copyrighting hoping they will be picked up by a label or artist. I am not even sure what that means anymore. Do you have to tour these days to sell labums?

3.) Than there are business people, some who I know who get so caught up in lawyering and copy writing, they do even enjoy the music side of biz.

So when do you copy write material ? Is it worth spending money it? how much does it cost? I understand you can never copy write standard chord progressions and essentially only thing that is copy writable is meleody & lyrics written over chord progression and that make a song. But I get the feeling that 99.99% do not copyright and just want to share music. Can anyone chime in because sometimes we think we wrtote something so great we are afraid to post it online when in actuality it may suck. I want to start uploading everyday even if just idaes to soundcloud and not have to worry or give a crap about people stealing and people's music. Just need a little bit of advice.

Thanks big time.

sowhoso

Re: Copywritting !!!

Post by sowhoso » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:42 am

you don't have to spend a dime getting a document saying a piece of music is yours and no one can steal it. it already is yours and no one can steal it simply by virtue of you having created it. that's the copyright law. all you have to do is prove it's yours

however, proof is easier if you have official copyright. so if you're really worried do it. and don't use that silly idea of mailing it to yourself

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:27 am

Recently discussing this stuff with the label and they will copyright the tracks so noone can say they're theirs and if they are stolen then you have official copyright (people apparently rip off the tracks, same artwork and everything!).

As i understand it the main thing with sharing tracks you want to release is piracy; if you want to release some tracks and they're already floating about on the web labels won't be interested cause it'll impact sales.

Fwiw i only post low quality previews of tracks but have used full tracks for DJ promotion but that's more beneficial for self release.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Hmmm. Well, I guess there are actually 2 issues/things/copyrights.

1. Recording copyright - protection of the actual recording itself.
2. Publishing copyright - protection of the song/music/idea

In this case, mate - if you wrote the song (chord progressions, melody, etc) then that bad-boy is yours - you technically own both copyrights. It's your intellectual property. You created it - you own it, simple. If you have a recording of your ideas in whatever form, then you own the copyright and the publishing rights.

Unless you state otherwise, if I want to use part of your track in my production I'll have to write to you to get permission since you own publishing and recording copyrights. If I wanted to use a sample of MusikMachine's music, I'd have to write to his label (since they probably own the copyright on the recording) and also MusicMachine since he owns the actual song/track (or maybe his publisher).

There are certainly things you can do to make it more official...but, unless you're signed and the label has money/energy/contacts then what are you gonna do if someone steals your stuff and you find out about it? I guess you could send a cease and desist, but after that the courts are your only recourse...and you need $$ for that!

You can share music and still retain the copyright, mate. I bet most folk on SoundCloud do that. I'm a hobbyist - I don't mind if people download my tracks for free and play them...but the track is still mine. If someone were to take my track and in any way start making money off it without my permission, I'd take issue with it. Probably not too much I could do about it, but that would be stealing.

So, if you want to share stuff on SoundCloud then do it! If you're scared to post it because you don't want someone stealing your content, then don't post it. If you're scared to post because you're afraid it might suck, don't worry about it - you can get a lot of really good advice by submitting tracks that people can comment on. It makes you better, mate!

I dunno if that answered any of your questions?