How to put the Simpler warp function automatically off?..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loek-f

How to put the Simpler warp function automatically off?..

Post by loek-f » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi There,

I have the new Push 2 and the 9.5 update from Ableton with the new Simpler, but for me it's frustrating that when I open a sample from my library in Simpler with the Push 2 the sample gets automatically warped within the Simpler (this wasn't before in the older Ableton versions). Is there a option to put off the warp function in Simpler when I open a sample with the Push 2?

Thanks a lot!

Loek

Razz CE

Re: How to put the Simpler warp function automatically off?..

Post by Razz CE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Two things I can think of:
Open an empty simpler and make sure warp is off, then save as default.

Go to the tab for warp, launch, whatever in preferences (on my phone right now, can't check the real name), and there should be an option for how to load different types of samples by default. One of those I believe is whether or not to warp short samples.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

loek-f

Post by loek-f » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks for your reaction!

I already tried both.. But when I put off the warp function in the preferences nothing is getting warped anymore, also not when I put samples/loops straight into the arrangement. For me the problem is especially within the Simpler device because in the Simpler I use a lot of texture and ambient samples and the sound ugly when they get warped.. When I save the Simpler with 'warp off' and I put a sample in it, the warp sign is going straight on again.. So i think it's not possible in 9.5...
Last edited by loek-f on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 pm

You misunderstand
  1. turn off warp in Simpler device
  2. right click header of Simpler device to show the device's contextual menu
  3. click "save as Default"

Alternatively look at your user library, there are named folders there with the default device states for many devices and device contexts such as "dropping a sample on a drum rack" etc.

(From memory)

loek-f

Post by loek-f » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Aah yes I understand now! :) But also when I save it with 'warp off' as my default, it is getting automatically on again when I put in a new sample/loop into the Simpler..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Ah Yes, you are correct about that.

It's odd - they seem a little bit too keen about the whole "slice and warp in Simpler" thing. It's good, but not all the time !

Last night I was using it to build a multi-sample drum kit and had to turn warp off for EVERY SINGLE SAMPLE, one by one "warp off", "warp off", "warp off".

By sample 32 I was getting a bit bored !

loek-f

Post by loek-f » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes, totally agree with that!! Really frustrating..

The Sampler still doesn't warp automatically, so I think I grab that one from now on most of the time for my texture samples and stuff..

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Has anyone tried drag a clip to the session view, turning warp off in the clip, then dragging into simpler?

loek-f

Post by loek-f » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:41 pm

But that's even more work than just click warp off in Simpler.. :P

ned rush

Post by ned rush » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Well maybe just do it and after a period of continuous use you won't notice the wasted time anymore. I still get annoyed and forget to set the volume to 0 instead of -12 on all the Samplers.

I haven't played with Simpler much but I've started a series of YouTube videos on it so any niggles people have I'd be keen to hear about as it makes good YouTube.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Thank god someone else noticed - the workflow benefits associated with NOT having samples constantly being warped are immense, having control over wether sample warping is automatic or not during sample browsing is pretty important IMHO. Right now the only workaround is to work with sampler instead of simpler BUT then the very usefull slice mode of simpler becomes kind of obsolete if everytime samples get sliced AND WARPED AUTOMATICALLY. It's trylly cumbersome to have to disengage WARP every 2 seconds when browsing through tenth of sliced loops

PLEASE ableton make the behaviour optional
Last edited by Grill Pheiss on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 pm

loek-f wrote:Yes, totally agree with that!! Really frustrating..

The Sampler still doesn't warp automatically, so I think I grab that one from now on most of the time for my texture samples and stuff..
Yeah but we're missing out on the immense potential of using the Slice function of Simpler and browse QUICKLY through tenth of automatically sliced and "un-altered" loops

Hopefully someone is listening...

tomobri3n

Post by tomobri3n » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:44 pm

This is really annoying for melodic samples... They become locked to the default pitch :x

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Obviously "Classic" mode should default to unwarped. With warp it's not classic at all. Why do stupid mistakes like this get trough? It's not reassuring.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:41 pm

This is what I did:

1. Changed to "Unwarped One Shot" and I always have "Auto-Warp Long Samples" set to "off".
2. Drag short sample on to Simpler "Classic" with "warp" off on existing sampler or with empty new Simpler. Warp stays off. Same with the other 2 modes.
3. Drag longer loop recycle sample onto an audio track. Warped.

Nice so far.

4. Drag shorter WAV Sample onto audio track. Unwarped. :cry:

Half right?
Make some music!