Sustain pedal kills CPU, really

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChironControl

Re: Sustain pedal kills CPU, really

Post by ChironControl » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:20 pm

octo8 wrote:
ChironControl wrote:
fishmonkey wrote: i wonder why turning retrigger on makes no difference to my CPU load with the Abe's grand piano then?
Here, it makes only a difference when I play the same note (or notes) several times.
Please, can you both open and run the file I provided above?
Around bar 7, my cpu load (Ableton display) goes over 60% and crackling begins. This is what I've already described what happens, when the sustain pedal is hold and so many notes are played. At the end the cpu load stays at 66% and the notes seems to hold for infinite time which doesn't make any sense for a piano...

It seems that your systems is OK and the Grand Piano implementation is far from optimized if you don't take care.

BTW: I think retrigger if off to avoid any harsh artifacts in the moment of retriggering a note. There does not seem to be any kind of advanced retriggering.

catsandwich

Post by catsandwich » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 am

octo8 wrote:Thank you.

But why does piano keep sounding endlessly when Ped depressed? That is not well designed. Any solution for that problem?
"That is not well designed"

No one designed that. You've got a problem in your setup. Is the polarity switch on your pedal backwards? Midi feedback loop?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:03 am

catsandwich wrote:

But why does piano keep sounding endlessly when Ped depressed? That is not well designed. Any solution for that problem?

No one designed that. You've got a problem in your setup. Is the polarity switch on your pedal backwards? Midi feedback loop?
did you actually try it? the way the basic Grand Piano rack is set up, the notes do ring out indefinitely if you either hold the note down, or use MIDI sustain. other variants of the Grand Piano in the Live library do not do this.

login

Post by login » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 am

Sustain is at max in simpler, that is causing the problem.

Edit: that was only part of the proble, reducing sustain decreased the volume of the sustained note but not totally, I think it may be a bug, report it at Ableton.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:17 am

login wrote:Sustain is at max in simpler, that is causing the problem.

Edit: that was only part of the proble, reducing sustain decreased the volume of the sustained note but not totally, I think it may be a bug, report it at Ableton.
yep, i think it may be a bug too.

8E

Post by 8E » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:33 am

catsandwich wrote:
Sorry, I am not a native English speaker. With depressed[1] pedal I mean pressed down, sorry for confussion.
Pedal has the correct polarity and is pressed down to keep sustain. When I release it upwards, the sustain stops completely (at 0).

catsandwich, can you please test my file?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz14aurp105ij ... t.zip?dl=1

[1] Depressed, confused with depression, from Latin "pressed down".
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:19 pm

catsandwich wrote:

Please read the other posts. It it not a problem in his setup. It seems to be a problem at least in the configuration of the Grand Piano in Ableton. It is far from optimized and there is an infinite playing sound in the example which doesn't make sense.

8E

Post by 8E » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm

I think there are two problems we face:

1. CPU gets high whatever piano is used when sustain pedal is pressed (including all AL pianos and such as PianoTeq - all sustains make CPU higher, even if you repeat only one note with the sust ped.)
2. Grand Piano in AL keeps vibrating tones forever under the sust pedal, as long it is pressed; and also keeps CPU bussy at the same time.

It is fine if you have just one or two tracks. But I have about 20, with numerous effects on each. So it doesn't work.
I have submitted my question to the AL support, still no answer.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:14 pm

octo8 wrote:I think there are two problems we face:

1. CPU gets high whatever piano is used when sustain pedal is pressed (including all AL pianos and such as PianoTeq - all sustains make CPU higher, even if you repeat only one note with the sust ped.)
2. Grand Piano in AL keeps vibrating tones forever under the sust pedal, as long it is pressed; and also keeps CPU bussy at the same time.

It is fine if you have just one or two tracks. But I have about 20, with numerous effects on each. So it doesn't work.
I have submitted my question to the AL support, still no answer.
i do not think #1 is actually a bug. it's normal and expected behaviour.

8E

Post by 8E » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:43 am

fishmonkey wrote:

Why should it not be a bug? Why it is not case with Marimba sound?

If that is not a bug, than you cannot use more than 2 Piano tracks at the same time.
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:16 am

octo8 wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:

Why should it not be a bug? Why it is not case with Marimba sound?

If that is not a bug, than you cannot use more than 2 Piano tracks at the same time.
i suspect that the Marimba is different because it is a much simpler multisample setup. if you look at the samples the grand piano has extra samples for pedal noise, release, and sustain.

anyway, it would be good to know what the Abes have to say about it.

for sure it's going to be a problem if you play a whole lot of tracks with the sustain pedal held down the whole time. actually i like playing piano like that, however my computer is powerful enough to handle it.