RMS Meter in 9.5 - Option to turn it off?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael Hatsis

RMS Meter in 9.5 - Option to turn it off?

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 am

New RMS meters are pretty cool. however it is difficult to see the peak reading since it is much more opaque in color. For single tracks, I don't really have the need for an RMS reading, for busses and such it def comes in handy. I tend to use the peak readout more than RMS.
Usually, I just use my ears - something Live has trained me to do well because of the absence of meters in arrange.
Anyhow, any chance of an option to turn the RMS readout on and off. Toggle would be perfect. Or even if we could flip it so the peak reading would be the brighter one.

anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Thanks!

chrk

Re: RMS Meter in 9.5 - Option to turn it off?

Post by chrk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:26 am

Click-drag the divider between the scale/fader and the sends dials to pull the mixer pane up and read the numerica peak value per channel.

See first image of the 15.1.1 Session Mixer Features section.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:43 am

chrk wrote:Click-drag the divider between the scale/fader and the sends dials to pull the mixer pane up and read the numerica peak value per channel.

See first image of the 15.1.1 Session Mixer Features section.
thanks, but thats not what im talkin about. i just dont want the ability to hide the RMS portion of the meter

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:09 am

There's no way to turn off RMS metering.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:16 am

This has been bugging me a little bit also... I'm used to being able to see what's on what track by a quick glance of the meters... Now they all kind of look like they are just floating, and the meter 'release' looks so much slower than before, I'm guessing this is to compensate for the naturally slower moving RMS meters blocking the real meters. I need my meters bouncing in real time and visible. RMS meters are an awesome tool for mixing down, but most if my time is spent tracking... fast meters are king! (if I remember correctly from the Vocoder, 150-200 milliseconds fall-off/release is heaven!). I appreciate that there are now 3 meters in one, but the fast moving one should be the most visible one!

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I like the new meters very much and I am very grateful that this is implemented now. I am used to it from other professional DAW.

However, it could be a help if the colors can be configured. So every user can decide what is needed most and the colors/contrast could be changed.

My personal feature wish would be an additional master meter with configurable K-metering. And the next step would be to have a configurable multichannel meter, i.e. having an extra window with selected track outputs, e.g. 3 send outputs. I am working on multichannel projects using return tracks as outputs, and there are already many return tracks. I would like to hide them and have only the meter. And a scalable meter. Shrinking the tracks gives only small meters. - But this would be the cherry on the cake. Other features are more urgent, and I am impressed, that Ableton goes on and on in developing their software.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:58 pm

since Live 9 it seems like 2 steps forward, 1 step back w every update. kinda frustrating. Even apple, when they change something, usually give u the option to turn it off