Newbie question: how do increase clip length from one measur

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CWoodOne

Newbie question: how do increase clip length from one measur

Post by CWoodOne » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:48 pm

Hi, I'm trying to build up rythm tracks with drum loops of one measure. How do I chain them into patterns for intro, verse, chorus, etc? Every thing is just one measure, then it loops, same with midi clips. Help! Sorry for beginner question!

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:52 pm

Midi loops are easy. You just duplicate the notes and expand the length of your loop to the amount of times it was duplicated.

Audio files are different. You either need to open them up in an external audio editor and add silence or you can duplicate the clip in live and then do several things.
1. Change the start times in the clips to give a different rhythmic feel
2. silence the duplicates and use follow actions so there is space between the repitition. This can be good especially if you have more than one drum audio file.
3. silence only certain parts of the audio file with volume envelopes to make a sort of break down.
4. Probably a thousand other things that I have not discovered yet.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it, really appreciate the ideas -- I was really stuck