Best way to integrate iPad into Ableton setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
koranek

Re: Best way to integrate iPad into Ableton setup?

Post by koranek » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:25 pm

iConnectivity hardware works well but may be overkill for you. If you have extra midi hardware and would like to control everything centrally, or two computers and a ipad, or a computer and 2 ipads, then get iConnectMidi 4+.
If you don't have a lot of midi hardware, but are also in the market for an audio interface with microphone pre's, then iConnectAudio hardware would work better. Both of these devices let you connect ipads to computers, and route midi and audio back and forth. They are much more expensive, but worth it if you need these extra features. Otherwise keep trying to get the software only solutions working.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

su

Post by su » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm

@scheffkoch - It's a Windows machine

@koranek - I have an iconnectmidi2. :-) So I can already pass MIDI and audio back and forth between computer and ipad. I just find studiomux to be a more elegant workflow. I'm not real keen on being forced to use asio4all for the iconnectmidi. MIDI via usb cable works great in studiomux. And if routing audio between an ipad and Ableton Live is as simple as loading up the studiomux VST, I'm all for it.

I may try a cleaner install of all the studiomux stuff (net framework, delete registry entries, etc) and see if that helps.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm

...i'll gonna try the new server this weekend and report back...server 2.1.7 + the old vst/au versions working absolutely flawless here...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

su

Post by su » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:22 am

Finally got this working...

After changing "64" in VST dll file names to "64bit" all is well

it worked, but WTF

ipad and Ableton Live are now having a two way conversation without a hardware device and using my soundcards native driver. cool stuff

I'm using the beta, so I'm gonna starting "Linking" stuff up

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

OK so after spending some time with link and lemur I'd definitely say that for me anyways lemur is better. I am finding it hard to record what I'm playing with link. Its a great idea and all but latency with recording is a problem. For a casual jam session with your buddies it's great. For a one man show it's great until you need to record something
F34TH3R