playback within long midi note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Byxx

playback within long midi note

Post by Byxx » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 pm

when I start playbak inside a long midi note I cant hear it.
is there a setting for playing back theses midi notes without the note on message at the beginning?

thx
l
ALS 10 on WIN10

ChironControl

Re: playback within long midi note

Post by ChironControl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Good question. I haven't found anything like that. Sometimes I would like to have it as a feature to set for each clip.

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Just Used to it, felt surprising nowadays. Nur Live is a cool looper, I figured Out.
Can it create several fades at once?
Just wondering...
ALS 10 on WIN10

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:21 pm

The beginning of the MIDI note marks the "note on" command from the gate signal. This is an event rather than a continuous command. So I don't think there would be a way to move the note-on command without violating the MIDI standard.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Richie Witch wrote:The beginning of the MIDI note marks the "note on" command from the gate signal. This is an event rather than a continuous command. So I don't think there would be a way to move the note-on command without violating the MIDI standard.
It is thinkable that you have an option in each clip: When activated, the note on command is added when the playback of the clips starts for whatever reason after the beginning of a note.

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:05 pm

cmon guys, logic guy here.

where can I find midi controllers automation cc7 or cc11
its already written, is executed as I recorded the,, but not shown. where can I find theses curves?

thx
t
ALS 10 on WIN10

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:07 pm

It's called 'chase events' and Live has never had it. Many other DAW software offers it as an option. Even Cubase on the Atari used to have it. So it's a little annoying that the Abes haven't added it even though it has been requested several times.

The way I get around it is to freeze the track and then the audio will be heard where ever you start playing.

Tony

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:11 pm

LTM wrote:where can I find midi controllers automation cc7 or cc11
CCs are not displayed in the arrange window but in individual clips. So you need to have a clip available on your track, double click it to open the clip editor. All the CCs are available to edit and draw in the control editor. It's not particularly friendly but very powerful once you get used to it.

Tony

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Yeah this is really weak that Live can't chase notes back. Shit my mac classic running performer in 1992 could do it. The MIDI aspect of live is very lacking in my opinion. I used to do everything in MIDI years ago and editing in MOTU performer was so much easier and intuitive. I'd still take Live any day over MOTU though for it's other cool features. I guess you can't have it all.

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks very much. Just Found the cc's!!!
its a new concept for me. just diggin in a bit.
I like the handling of multi instruments with external midi strips and the organisation I can do in Live with patches of multi instruments and such.

again, thanks a lot
cheers
l
ALS 10 on WIN10