Recording Audio One-Shots in Clip-Slots possible?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
orionka

Recording Audio One-Shots in Clip-Slots possible?

Post by orionka » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi, in general I would like to record some melody ideas along a drum beat for instance.
Since I usually work in Session-View, I'd like to keep it there.
The problem is Live not allowing Audio Clips to be recorded as unwarped/not looped.
After each record you have to manually un-loop the clip, switch to another clip-slot, trigger exactly this slots record-button and get another warped/looped clip.
I just want to play along, hit a button on my controller for record, hit it again for recording to stop and so on to the next idea... doing things on my computer stops the flow.
Is there a M4L device that can do this or have you guys similar workflow issues and a solution?

Greetings

PS: I know there is an option in preferences that allows your clips to be unwarped one-shots. this however is just a option for dropping samples on clip-slots not for actual recording of clips. I therefore considered recording with a looper-device and drag the clips manually to a slot (which is workflow-killer #1)... the looper-device also plays back/repeats by default (which is workflow killer #2)

orionka

Re: Recording Audio One-Shots in Clip-Slots possible?

Post by orionka » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:17 pm

I'd like to bump this, because it's one of my main issues... instead of recording a whole jam-session and cutting it afterwards, this would allow me to actually record only those parts that I like in the first place.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:53 pm

For recording clips and then advancing to the next you could just KEY or MIDI map the slots to numbers on your keyboard or buttons on your controller, even if they are empty. Then map the stop clips button to something.

You would just have to try and estimate how many clips you think you will record and map as many slots accordingly.

As far as turning warping off after the clip has been recorded, that might be an M4L job.

It could all be done in m4l, but I don't know if this specific device exists.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Map the track play button.
Map the track stop button.
Map the scene up button.
Map the scene down button.

Not ideal but fair enough ?
Otherwise i'll take a look to the M4L option, but you would need to be very specific.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm

That's cool! Had no idea you could do the scene up/down buttons and that there even is a track play button.

OP still wants his clips un-warped though. Can't imagine why it's so hard to just group select and turn the warp off.