Is there a way to route the browser to the master bus?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grill Pheiss

Is there a way to route the browser to the master bus?

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

It seems it would make perfect sense to be able to audition and preview audio through the MB, especially if
like me you're using something like a room correction vst like the IK multimedia ARC, but even without this
being able to preview clip in context of the present state of the song seems really logical... If I'm mixing
and I want to add a top loop for example, I would want to be able to browse through some loops while they're
bein fed to the master bus along all of my other tracks in the arrangement...

Grill Pheiss

Re: Is there a way to route the browser to the master bus?

Post by Grill Pheiss » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Also the same bus seems to handle the metronome, and the headphone cue - wouldn't it be clever to allow control over this?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:Also the same bus seems to handle the metronome, and the headphone cue - wouldn't it be clever to allow control over this?
the metronome and cue output are not routed via the master. i think maybe you are confusing your hardware outputs with the master.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:46 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:Also the same bus seems to handle the metronome, and the headphone cue - wouldn't it be clever to allow control over this?
the metronome and cue output are not routed via the master. i think maybe you are confusing your hardware outputs with the master.
No what he is asking is if it IS possible to send the Cue through the master so it can have the effects applied that are on the master to hear how it "may" sound when actually loaded into a track.

Short is it is not possible. It's simply a mechanism to assist in quick browsing. Could be handy I guess to have the cue routable but i'd never use it. I send cue to a separate out from Live and into a separate channel on my outbound mixer to adjust it with a fader. You "could" then rout that back into another channel and rout that to the master but that's a whole lot of stuffing round.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:12 am

i got the gist of the first post, i think i misread the second one. i thought he/she was saying that the metronome and cue outputs were going through the master...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 am

should have option like FL, where user can select the mixer preview goes through.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:42 am

pencilrocket wrote:should have option like FL, where user can select the mixer preview goes through.
amen to that.

because right now the way things are seem closer to a "hack" than a fully implemented feature

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:53 am

fishmonkey wrote:
No I did not say that, what I meant is the bus used to preview audio is the SAME bus the metronome goes through, and also the SAME bus used to send audio out of Live when
you want to cue in your headphones.

And it seems to defeat the purpose of each of the preceding when not being completelly or fully integrated within Live

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:51 am

Grill Pheiss wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
No I did not say that, what I meant is the bus used to preview audio is the SAME bus the metronome goes through, and also the SAME bus used to send audio out of Live when
you want to cue in your headphones.

And it seems to defeat the purpose of each of the preceding when not being completelly or fully integrated within Live
yep, i misread your second post.

anyway, while i understand your request, it is completely logical that the preview, cue and metronome busses are not routed through the master, for obvious reasons the routing is mirroring how a real mixing desk works.

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:51 pm

fishmonkey wrote: yep, i misread your second post.

anyway, while i understand your request, it is completely logical that the preview, cue and metronome busses are not routed through the master, for obvious reasons the routing is mirroring how a real mixing desk works.
I've worked for 2 decades on large format consoles, there's not much mirroring anything of an actual mixing desk on Live's mixer... and that's besides the point really. There's no "preview bus" on an analog desk, there's buses, and you can route and patch pretty much anything sources to any point, I'm just concerned that this lack of user definability on the audio browser makes the workflow tedious, maybe not at the begining of creation, but further down the line surelly.

tripboxer

Post by tripboxer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:22 pm

just a quick answer to your question... :
no, not possible in Ableton Live...

however, as a workaround: it´s not so much work to drag a bunch of loops/sounds on a new channel in the clip view and preview from there... after that, you just erase all the loops that you don´t need... You could setup a preview channel in your default set....

greetz

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 pm

if your audio interface provides a loopback function (like the rme babyface) you could use that. or analog routing.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Grill Pheiss wrote:

I've worked for 2 decades on large format consoles, there's not much mirroring anything of an actual mixing desk on Live's mixer... and that's besides the point really. There's no "preview bus" on an analog desk, there's buses, and you can route and patch pretty much anything sources to any point, I'm just concerned that this lack of user definability on the audio browser makes the workflow tedious, maybe not at the begining of creation, but further down the line surelly.
i'm not really sure what you are on about there. all the main Live mixer functions map directly onto pretty much any analog or digital mixing desk (faders/pans/sends/mutes/solos/input-output-routing).

the solo buttons and the cue bus in Live serve the same basic function as AFL/PFL switches on a mixing desk, which are usually routed through the monitor section of the desk, not through the master.

i can see why being able to preview through the master might be useful, but there are also good reasons why this is not the default behaviour...

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:18 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Grill Pheiss wrote:

i'm not really sure what you are on about there. all the main Live mixer functions map directly onto pretty much any analog or digital mixing desk (faders/pans/sends/mutes/solos/input-output-routing).

the solo buttons and the cue bus in Live serve the same basic function as AFL/PFL switches on a mixing desk, which are usually routed through the monitor section of the desk, not through the master.

i can see why being able to preview through the master might be useful, but there are also good reasons why this is not the default behaviour...
Of course! but the point it there's no "default behaviour" since the routing is not even user-definable! and that makes it a problem for certain workflows... for example for the people
who love to work with some sort of masterchain... how can they audition an additional piece of audio in context of their production?
or for people who work with room correction plugins... I hate comparison because live shines on so many things, but I notice that the
audio browser in studio one and sonar both allow user-defined routing... it's a pretty basic thing wich makes a huge difference imo

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 pm

fair enough, have you lodged a feature request?