Houston..."we have a problem"...Or may be it's just me!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Joel W-J

Houston..."we have a problem"...Or may be it's just me!

Post by Joel W-J » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:07 pm

Hello.

Anyone with a heart...could you perform this test please?

I performed these test in 9.1 and 9.5. These problems started in 9.2.

Assuming that you have the Orchestral Packs installed...

Strings ensemble is a good patch to test with because it's large.

1.Throw one of the patches on to a midi track.
2.Change it to sampler and hit the sample tab. (in 9.1 I have not got time to see the sample loading into the Sampler window. In 9.2 + I can see the sample creep across the sampler window)

my results

9.1 - Sample loaded
9.5 - Sample still loading ......................................kettle has boiled...sample loaded.

Second test. This could make you, assuming the results are the same, question the upgrade path between RAM and SSD.

With the same patch, just create a small clip with a few notes and play it. During the playing process switch from RAM and normal disk operating modes. (bottom corner of instrument if you have an "Oh yeah" moment)

my results

9.1 Brilliant
9.5 Hard Disk Overload Indicator flashing in RAM mode ? Disk mode - no H.D.O.I. lighting up.

The second test has only come about by accident today when, after earlier discussions with ARK, I thought I'd see if there was any improvement using RAM mode on the instruments

I thought that this should be the other way around?

Joel :?:

yur2die4

Re: Houston..."we have a problem"...Or may be it's just me!

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Is this still happening? Or does it only happen the first time you open it?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Joel W-J wrote: my results

9.1 - Sample loaded
9.5 - Sample still loading ......................................kettle has boiled...sample loaded.
9.5 latest Beta here. Changed it to Sampler (string ensemble.adg). Instantaneous changeover, instant display of waveforms.
Second test. This could make you, assuming the results are the same, question the upgrade path between RAM and SSD.

With the same patch, just create a small clip with a few notes and play it. During the playing process switch from RAM and normal disk operating modes. (bottom corner of instrument if you have an "Oh yeah" moment)

my results

9.1 Brilliant
9.5 Hard Disk Overload Indicator flashing in RAM mode ? Disk mode - no H.D.O.I. lighting up.
Played a short clip with 10 notes playing at once and changed to RAM mode in Sampler. Loaded into RAM in about half a second. The red HD indicator lit up briefly while the clip was playing, but not if I do this while it's not playing.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD with everything on this one drive. I have 32GB RAM.

On my old PC with 6GB RAM and HDD 7200rpm, I would have probably clawed my own eyes out in test one. Everything was crap.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:19 pm

IIRC, Ableton made a change to how Live does warping of samples in 9.2 (I think). The first time a newer version of Live has to load a sample that had been used with an older version, it has to reanalyze it and write the new information to disk, which takes some time. That could be what you're running into. If so, it should only happen the first time you open a project that uses a sample since you upgraded. After the first time, things should be speedy again.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 am

yur2die4 wrote:Is this still happening? Or does it only happen the first time you open it?
When this problem first appeared I built a VM version of windows 10, (before I upgraded to 10) tested live 9.2 in it and yes, the first time was slow then the second time things were as expected. This gave me confidence to upgrade to windows 10. But...the joy was short lived when after the long upgrade process things were to be crap again. I knew that the first load was a learning curve for windows 10 and the second load would be faster (based on my test) but it is still a problem now.

Appreciate you taking time to help.
thanks,

Joel

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:03 am

ObtuseMoose wrote:IIRC, Ableton made a change to how Live does warping of samples in 9.2 (I think). The first time a newer version of Live has to load a sample that had been used with an older version, it has to reanalyze it and write the new information to disk, which takes some time. That could be what you're running into. If so, it should only happen the first time you open a project that uses a sample since you upgraded. After the first time, things should be speedy again.

--
Moose
Thanks Moose, appreciate you time helping. See the reply to yur2die4.

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:07 am

tedlogan wrote:
Joel W-J wrote: my results

9.1 - Sample loaded
9.5 latest Beta here. Changed it to Sampler (string ensemble.adg). Instantaneous changeover, instant display of waveforms.

my results

9.1 Brilliant
Played a short clip with 10 notes playing at once and changed to RAM mode in Sampler. Loaded into RAM in about half a second. The red HD indicator lit up briefly while the clip was playing, but not if I do this while it's not playing.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD with everything on this one drive. I have 32GB RAM.

On my old PC with 6GB RAM and HDD 7200rpm, I would have probably clawed my own eyes out in test one. Everything was crap.
I'm running out of hair. My eyes have also gone now! I have a standard for laptops 5400rpm HD and 8Gb Ram. i7(gen2) processor. rhetorical question...is this the end of this laptop's useful life I wonder?

Thanks for taking time to test. The big Arrow is swinging towards me then. :(

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Resolved now.

Reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, partitioning and formatting included in rebuild.

Bit extreme but seemed to fix the file system.

Thanks for the support and suggestions.