More Insight To Live Link Needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grpetz

More Insight To Live Link Needed

Post by grpetz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Wow! Cheers to Ableton team for the new Link coming out! Excited to try out the link.

Got a question about a scenario. When two laptops are linked running Live 9.5 which laptop is the master or is there any that are the master since anyone can control the tempo?

I'm wondering if I can use this in substitution for something like Vienna Ensemble Pro setup, where I can use two laptops running Ableton and use one as the laptop that handles orchestra VSTs?

When I "link" them together will I be able to take both laptops and mixdown exactly what was recorded during the live sessions we have?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge shared! This has extraordinary potential if this can be done.

Gary

Ubik

Re: More Insight To Live Link Needed

Post by Ubik » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:31 pm

there's no master/slave relation.
I haven't tried it yet but as the tempo is the same, I suppose you could import your tracks from one project to another ( assuming that you record at the same time on both computers). Another way to do it would be to record the output of computer 1 to computer 2
Last edited by Ubik on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grpetz

Post by grpetz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Another way to do it would be to record the output of computer 1 to computer 2
Yea, that's what I was thinking about doing, only thing is if I record only the audio output then I can't make note adjustments using midi at mixdown.... will have to think about the flow ...... thanks for the input..

Gary

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 pm

From Ableton website :
How do we save our communal performance?

One way to do this is if each Live user records the performance in Arrangement View, then you merge sessions later.
Another way to record a communal performance is to mix everyone through a single mixer and record the stereo output. Alternatively, multi-track record to one of the Live users’ computers.
If you want to keep the midi data, the first solution is the only way.
Notice that Link doesn't send start/stop messages but you can still midi sync both laptop to start the recording at the same time.

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Link all devices running ableton live or apps and whatnot... then run the outputs to a pro tools system. That's my 2¢
F34TH3R

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:34 pm

will be possible to use Link through ethernet cable? Two desktop PC-s.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:04 pm

mareproduction wrote:will be possible to use Link through ethernet cable? Two desktop PC-s.
Yes