Best way to save songs/projects?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ejlif

Best way to save songs/projects?

Post by ejlif » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 pm

I have been using Live 9 for a couple years now and am getting a pretty good grasp on things. I am wondering what is considered the best way to save a song. So far I have a main folder that I call live 9 projects and then I save each song into that Live 9 projects folder. I suppose all the audio files and such are all saved in one main big folder instead of in a folder for each individual song. Is this the right way to do it or should I be saving each song into it's own project folder with all the files separate from each other song? I have noticed a few times audio files have gone missing for no apparent reason. I do the collect all and save often just to be sure.

H20nly

Re: Best way to save songs/projects?

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:27 pm

I have a main folder where all my projects/sets are. each is then placed in it's own separate folder in the main.

if i call a project/song MyBombAssTrack it gets created as MyBombAssTrack.als
almost every time i work on it moving forward i will update the name (save as) so;

MyBombAssTrack.als
MyBombAssTrack_02.als
MyBombAssTrack_03.als
MyBombAssTrack_04.als

and so on.

.als files are quite small so this helps keep track of the revisions and betters the chances of a complete recovery if an .als file gets corrupted.

Whenever new audio is recorded or any major changes have been made to drum kits and such, i do a 'Collect All & Save' to make sure that the project is self contained... this way if i move it, or have to reinstall Live for some reason, the folder containing the song is a complete project folder rather than a collection of references to a location that may no longer exist.

hth

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:38 pm

The 'best' way heavily depends, but the most common way is to use one folder per project (basically the folder itself represents the whole project). The reason for that is because this allows you to keep all your material separated. If you have several recordings which you no longer use then merely removing the project will be enough to permanently remove them.

Another, more important, reason is portability. If you keep all your projects in one huge folder then you'd never be able to use "Collect all and save" without risking to get a huge collection. This saving option allows you to create a self-contained project; it copies all sound material into the project folder. This allows you to send it over to others because it will no longer have any dependencies on material in your library.

So yeah, I also keep every project in its separate folder, but with some notable exceptions. Whenever I'm extending on an existing project (think about a remix) then the liveset gets added to the project folder because it will end up using the same collection of audio material.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max5 / M4l and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan

ejlif

Post by ejlif » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks guys I figured I should be doing it this way. Looks like it's time to get organizized.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 pm

H20nly wrote:I have a main folder where all my projects/sets are. each is then placed in it's own separate folder in the main.

if i call a project/song MyBombAssTrack it gets created as MyBombAssTrack.als
almost every time i work on it moving forward i will update the name (save as) so;

MyBombAssTrack.als
MyBombAssTrack_02.als
MyBombAssTrack_03.als
MyBombAssTrack_04.als

and so on.

.als files are quite small so this helps keep track of the revisions and betters the chances of a complete recovery if an .als file gets corrupted.

Whenever new audio is recorded or any major changes have been made to drum kits and such, i do a 'Collect All & Save' to make sure that the project is self contained... this way if i move it, or have to reinstall Live for some reason, the folder containing the song is a complete project folder rather than a collection of references to a location that may no longer exist.
^ Exactly this. There is no such thing as too many backups... ever!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 am

unless you're trying to get rid of the evidence 8O

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Saving iterative version names of Live projects is especially vital since Live completely wipes the undo history whenever you hit save. If you make a mistake and hit save straight after, you have no comeback.

This bit me really badly last month. I finished a mixdown at 4am, selected the entire timeline range ready to render out a stereo mix. I went to hit save (command-s) but fatfingered it and hit command-x instead, deleting EVERYTHING in the timeline. My 4am brain for some reason then hit command-s again in quick succession and BOOM, I lost my last 4 hours work.

My bad for getting complacent about Live's ability to recover from crashes with, ironically, the saved undo history, so while I was all inspired and in the zone on the last stages of the mixdown, my last saved version was from 4 hours earlier. I lost all the little, subtle mix tweaks and nuances that I'd done in that time.

If I hadn't been doing iterative saves I could have lost EVERYTHING.
MBP i5 2.53GHz | OSX 10.12.6 | Live10.0.4 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree