Better than Bitwig?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: Better than Bitwig?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:03 am

I'd feel naked without Live.

I have the Live Suite, and it'll accomplish most tasks. If I had Bitwig, it'd mostly be a double of Live, but with some fresh concepts.

I think if I had Bitwig, I'd still want Live, but not the opposite.

mcnelson

Post by mcnelson » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:16 am

Syver wrote:Bitwig Studio doesn't support AU or VST2 or 3,
AU & VST3 is not supported, VST2 is: https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/faq.html

Ableton doesn't suport VST3 either.

Live user, just setting the facts straight.
Ableton Live::Audio Damage::Sonic Charge::Sugar Bytes

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:22 pm

The obvious is trying both demos.
Next is learning curve, tutorials available, development support and possibly price. Also licensing is important.

deva

Post by deva » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:36 pm

login wrote:BWS is still way too buggy, I would wait a couple of years.
For the past few weeks Bitwig has focused on bug fixing... they have made significant progress already and they said they will keep at it for a while more. So no need to wait that long ;-)

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:44 pm

It isn't a hard decision. Live has 15 years development maturity over BW. As far as I know BW does not have anything like Max4Live. Nor is BW have industry heavy weights like Akai, Novation, Korg, Native Instruments, and others developing almost every product with Live inclusion at some level. Nor will BW, for now at least, support Link for incorporating wireless sync to iOS devices. BW is the BEST choice if your running Linux. Outside that any benefits from BW must be outweighed by the convenience of and sheer weight of Live's presence in the entire music industry
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:14 am

Chingy wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase either Ableton Live or Bitwig, but am a bit stuck on which one. I have the demos of both, but it'll take a long time to go deep into both. I like the idea generation flow of both. I'm finding I'm leaning towards Bitwig, but before I do, I wanted to come ask the experts, what makes Ableton a better choice in your mind?

Cheers!
The Best DAW is the one you're good at.
Ableton has a larger user community and more 3rd party support.
Bitwig is more of an Ableton V7/V8 alternative, while Suite 9 has a better featureset for soundmaking while Bitwig has 32 and 64 internal bridging support.
You might benefit from using Bitwig x32 rewired into Ableton x64

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:44 am

miekwave wrote: Bitwig is more of an Ableton V7/V8 alternative, while Suite 9 has a better featureset for soundmaking while Bitwig has 32 and 64 internal bridging support.
You might benefit from using Bitwig x32 rewired into Ableton x64
Just for clarity, Bitwig doesn't support Rewire. There is no "bridge" between 32 and 64bit, Rewire won't allow it, Jack doesn't allow it, and neither does Soundflower. There are however a few 64 bit VST/AU plug ins that can host 32 bit plug ins.

I wouldn't call Bitwig v7-8 Live, Live doesn't have sandboxed plug ins, or a true native LFO for starters.

I also wouldn't judge any DAW by it's embedded plug ins, especially ones you pay a hefty premium for.
Even paying for Suite, I still would say that Logic might be the one with the better feature set embedded plug ins wise, but I wouldn't say Logic is a better DAW. It's a part of the package, but IMO again embedded plug ins aren't a deciding factor for me, especially since most third party ones are better IMO.

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:49 am

Machinesworking wrote: I also wouldn't judge any DAW by it's embedded plug ins, especially ones you pay a hefty premium for.
Even paying for Suite, I still would say that Logic might be the one with the better feature set embedded plug ins wise, but I wouldn't say Logic is a better DAW. It's a part of the package, but IMO again embedded plug ins aren't a deciding factor for me, especially since most third party ones are better IMO.
There are a few considerations about this, first they are included in the price, specially the ones exclusive to Suite so including them is a must.

ALmost all Live devices are pretty good, Logic has better reverb and some instruments but the rest and as good and some quite great as Glue and Beat repeat.

Also when it comes to Live (and also bitwig which copies it) the GUI of their devices is important to the whole workflow, openning and closing windows goes against the core GUI design of Live. So their quality matter if you want to use that GUI feature of Live.

FInally, some people like to work in self contained enviroments, as reason for example, and for achieveing this you need great tools at your dispossal, the better the devices the more confortable you are with the self contained enviroment.

Honestly I haven't tested bitwig devices that much, maybe the claim they suck is totally false, but to me it would matter if I was considering switching. Specially giving away Sampler, Simpler, eq8, compressor, saturator, electric, collision, corpus, resonators and operator.