Advice on new laptop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cal505

Advice on new laptop

Post by Cal505 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm at the point where I need a new laptop, Would this macbook pro be fine for running ableton, a maschine mk2 and an akai mini mpk.

I don't use a lot of plug ins no have large sample libraries, I usually have ableton live, maschine, and massive running at the same time.

Would this be powerful enough?

Macbook pro 15" Retina
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/ma ... ep=config#

Teenage Engineering OP-2

Re: Advice on new laptop

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:47 am

As you're using just Maschine and Massive, that MBP would greatly exceed what you need. You'll be able to run many more plugins concurrently, should you need to.

I am using a 2015 13" MBP with a dual core i5. It handles many tracks of Live and Native Instruments plugins perfectly. So if you wish to save some money, you can go for a 13" MBP, or maybe even the 12" MacBook. When the MacBook was announced, naturally, many people prematurely, gleefully pounced on it, certain it would be unfit for music production. Now that it's out, and I believe in its second iteration, it has disproved those conjectures. I've read of people using it for production just fine. Since your needs are modest, just a few plugins at a time, it may work for you. And it's devastatingly sexy, like the Push 2.
Last edited by Teenage Engineering OP-2 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:18 am

yes

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 am

Yes, more than fast enough for what you want. I'd want at least the 512GB drive myself though, 256 will go super fast for production IMO.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:48 am

Cal505 wrote:I'm at the point where I need a new laptop, Would this macbook pro be fine for running ableton, a maschine mk2 and an akai mini mpk.

I don't use a lot of plug ins no have large sample libraries, I usually have ableton live, maschine, and massive running at the same time.

Would this be powerful enough?

Macbook pro 15" Retina
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/ma ... ep=config#
When purchasing a new PC/Mac/Laptop here are key factors to consider.

CPU:
More Cores = More track counts
More Ghz = More Plug Ins

GPU:
Onboard GPU is good for non gaming/non video rendering applications
Get DDR4 2GB+ GPU for Gaming and Video Editing Rendering
512GB+ is needed for GPU/CUDA DSP
Does MBP support GPU/CUDA DSP? (can anyone reading this verify?)

Rack DSP Accelerator
External UAD Card to free up CPU load, optional (DSP Accelerators cost $900 to $3500)

Ram
8GB: Is adequate for non sample heavy projects and smaller track counts
Get at least 16GB 1866 or faster for sampling

Flash Memory
Get 256GB flash drive for OS + Programs only, store samples and live projects on external drive
Get 512GB flash drive for OS + Programs + Samples, store Live Projects on external drive
Get 1TB flash drive for OS + Programs + Samples + Live Projects

If you are a Gigging Performer strongly recommend at least 512GB because it's better to store your live set locally on flash memory and reduce your risks. Only load sets that you will be gigging with AFTER rendering them from your external drive to your local drive temporary gig folder.

*** Very Important *** - It is easy to overheat or throttle your M.2 flash drive (above 80C) if you are running sample heavy sessions (100+ voices) where the samples are access via flash memory. Be sure to get cooling fans with aluminum heat spreader for your MBP. If the throttle mechanism is triggered on your MPB your live session will likely crash mid performance. (in extreme settings). You will need to get a cooling pad with fans if you intend to gig anywhere that is not cool.

The MPB you mentioned most likely contains contains I7-4770HQ - this has a CPUBenchmark score of 8973 which is decent
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.20GHz

Reasons to consider the slower 2.2 4770HQ
• Working with fewer than 24 stereo tracks at 48k/24-bit with 16 EQ8 + 16 Compressor + 1 Convolution Reverb Send + 1 Delay Send + 1 Chorus Send at 512 audio buffer - should be adequate, experiment with lower audio buffer rates if you play the drum pads in real tie regularly
• Using Ableton Stock Packs, Audio, and Instrument Plug-ins - Ableton plug-ins plug ins are very stable and cpu/memory optimized
• 1 to 5 instances of Massive
• Cooler than 4980HQ at 80% load (~2-5C cooler advantage)

Reasons to consider upgrade to 2.8GHz (i7-4980HQ) MBP compared to (2.2GHz) 4770HQ:
• Process lower Audio Buffer sizes better (~gain 2-10ms advantage on glitch free audio buffer)
• Greater glitch resistance at low buffer rates (reduced chance of audible glitching/crackle under duress)
• Ability to handle more CPU hungry VST/VSTi such as Omnisphere, Native Instruments Synth Suite, Convolution Reverbs, High Resolution Audio
• Faster Freezing/Rendering/Bounce (~ about a 27% time advantage, if it takes 5 minutes to render a track on 2.2GHZ 4770HQ, it will take 3.8 minutes to render with a 2.8 i7-4980HQ)
• More than 5 instances of Massive synths into a live session, get this processor
• Better 'future proofing' and 'resale value'
• Way better at handling more than 36+ stereo track counts at 96k/24
• Faster access times to Ram (ideal for massive samples libraries)
• If you intend to running more than 1 multiple daw Instances (amounting to more than 30 track count and bunch of vst/vsti) (for example: Reason + Ableton + FL Studio)

Cal505

Post by Cal505 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Cheers for the advice guys!

Think I'm going to go with a 13" macbook pro with the 512gb Hard drive as what I use currently is pretty basic.

My only other worry is will the 13" screen be too small? I suppose there is always the option of plugging it into a monitor at home.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:22 pm

personally, a 13" screen would drive me insane for music production. YMMV.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 pm

Ditto. Though I find the 15" perfect myself.

Teenage Engineering OP-2

Post by Teenage Engineering OP-2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Cal505 wrote:Cheers for the advice guys!

Think I'm going to go with a 13" macbook pro with the 512gb Hard drive as what I use currently is pretty basic.

My only other worry is will the 13" screen be too small? I suppose there is always the option of plugging it into a monitor at home.
I use to use a 15" MBP. I don't find the workspace difference between a 13" and 15" too significant. The portability difference is more apparent. So if that matters to you, a 13" with an external monitor would be a great option.

You can also adjust the "displayable" resolution on OSX. I've changed the default on my 13" from 1280x800 to 1440x900, which is equal to the default on the 15". It means everything is smaller, but you can also enlarge the Live UI in Preferences.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:18 pm

problem is, if you buy the external monitor from Apple you might as well just buy the bigger Macbook. it's fucking rape what they charge for a monitor in 2015.