How to "Open" live sets without load time?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
miekwave

How to "Open" live sets without load time?

Post by miekwave » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:09 am

I have a template which when I open it it takes 1-2 minutes to load completely (samples).

I have 10 live sets saved in this exact same template configuration. How do I open set 2 without reloading the samples and waiting another 1-2 minutes?

[Edit: I loading 11GB of samples into template set (via Samsung 850 pro SSD). It takes 1-2 minutes for all the samples to load. This if fine.

The problem is when I open Set 2-10 using the same 11GB samples in ram, I need it to STOP reloading samples since they were opened in the previous template.]
Last edited by miekwave on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

Tarekith

Re: How to "Open" live sets without load time?

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:14 am

You can't, new projects will always need to load their respective samples.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:59 am

SSD :?:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:16 am

It certainly makes a huge difference here.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:17 am

SSD

SSD

SSD

S
S
D

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:54 am

I have SSD, my template loads approx 11GB of samples, Samsung 850 Pro. I have 10 SETS that use this template.
Set 1, Set 2, ... Set 10

I open set 1, wait 1-2 minutes. Everything is loaded just fine.
Then I need to open set 2 - same exact samples same template. New midi, audio and clip arrangements.
Then I need to open set 3 , etc

The problem I am having is that it takes abouther 1-2 minutes to load set 2, set 3 ... etc when I already have my samples loaded to ram.

How do I load a new set without reloading the samples to ram without using a slave VEP.

ImageImage

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:12 am

miekwave wrote:I have a template which when I open it it takes 1-2 minutes to load completely (samples).

I have 10 live sets saved in this exact same template configuration. How do I open set 2 without reloading the samples and waiting another 1-2 minutes?
Fast machine with a fast bus and SSD. Yesterday I opened a small set on a 2014 MacBook Pro with SSD. Took maybe 2 seconds. That was a first. See Poll: How fast do your Live sets load? for stories and a poll on loading times.

For Live sets you can work around longer loading times by making one set with all your songs in it and rack up synths and resources and switch between these with Macros. One other way I prefer is to use 2 machines and load every other song on a different machine.
Make some music!

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:32 am

Stromkraft wrote:
miekwave wrote:I have a template which when I open it it takes 1-2 minutes to load completely (samples).

Fast machine with a fast bus and SSD. Yesterday I opened a small set on a 2014 MacBook Pro with SSD. Took maybe 2 seconds. That was a first. See Poll: How fast do your Live sets load? for stories and a poll on loading times.

For Live sets you can work around longer loading times by making one set with all your songs in it and rack up synths and resources and switch between these with Macros. One other way I prefer is to use 2 machines and load every other song on a different machine.
I appreciate your reply, unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for. The poll is not relevant because my non-giga.sampler sets load instantly. I have a 11GB template, spread across 120+ tracks, it takes a while for those to load, however onces its in ram, then its good.

These are EWQL multi articulations bussed into groups. Instruments load fine, almost no time at all. I just want to open Set 2 - 10 without reloading all the samples because the samples are already in ram and set 2-10 are using the same exact same template.

Template without samples loaded loads instantly, I want to load those same sets instantly with samples already loaded to ram.

I need to open sets using the samples I already have loaded to ram without VEP.

The slave VEP client can host all the samples and load instantly, but I need to do it with Live sets without VEP.

Bascially load set 1 - wait 1-2 minutes. Done, Load set 2 in less than 10 seconds using samples aleady loaded into ram (set 2 to 10 are using the same exact template), right now every time I open set 2 to 10 without a slave, it reloads all the same samples over and over again.

How do I open set 2 without reloading the samples without using VEP?

ImageImage

dsu

Post by dsu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:20 am

Holding the samples in RAM is a feature of VEP. I'm not aware of that feature being available in in any other DAW. Certainly not in Ableton Live.

The Window gaming folks sometimes us a RAMDisk like this

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

You might be able to copy your samples to the RAMDISK at the start an then work from there. But this recommendation is just a variation on getting an SSD.

Since VEP works for you in one setting why would you not continue to use in another setting?

Thinking about it, it would be a great feature to have in a Live.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:06 am

dsu wrote:Holding the samples in RAM is a feature of VEP. I'm not aware of that feature being available in in any other DAW. Certainly not in Ableton Live.

The Window gaming folks sometimes us a RAMDisk like this

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php
Thank you for the suggestion. I thought about the Ramdisk solution, unfortunately I have 16GB and the libraries are coming from a 400GB disk. In other words, I have no idea how to practically load it into ramdisk (400GB libraries). Basically it wouldn't work for my purposes.

I load the patch "attack" articulations and "whole instrument" to ram and then the rest streams from disc.

To give perspective
EWQL RA Middle Eastern Violin + SO Solo Violin + Symphonic Solo Violin = 3.8GB of instrument samples. But I load only articulation attacks and its only about 700MB and the rest streams from disk.

Samsung 850 Pro is excellent at streaming sample libraries.
Last edited by miekwave on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:27 am

11GB is a lot of data to load no matter how you do it. :)

lovelight

Post by lovelight » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Is it possible to take your vst folder, and move it to a new disk ( if i wanna buy a ssd) or shall i install all my vst,s over again to the new disk ?

win 10, 64 bit, 16 gb ram, intel 8xcore i7-4790 cpu 3.60zh, propellerhead balance

https://www.facebook.com/AbletonPushVstRacks/

http://lovelight.biz/

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:56 pm

miekwave wrote:I have SSD, my template loads approx 11GB of samples
You do realize that is a crapload of samples...about 18 hours worth!!!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Fast machine with a fast bus and SSD..
What's fast these days? I ask because I am thinking of upgrading my Mac Mini to SSD. What counts as a fast bus?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:32 pm

re:dream wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Fast machine with a fast bus and SSD..
What's fast these days?
That's up for debate, but I'd suggest a 2013 pro-level machine or later. While I'm far from certain that faster processing will help significantly in this particular case, it's unlikely to make things worse (barring incompatibilities) at least.
Make some music!