2 GB size limit in 64-bit version of Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locojohn

2 GB size limit in 64-bit version of Live?

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:05 am

Hello,

We have recorded a long drum session into multi-mic drum samples as separate 32-bit floating point PCM WAV files in the professional record studio. Each WAV would be around 2.1 GB in size.

I just tried to load these samples into a Live set and Live would not allow me to do this. I found the following article:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... file-size/

But I am using a 64-bit version of Live and I wonder why the file limit is still in effect? Both Studio One and Logic Pro would allow me to load the files. I wonder if it's a bug or is the mentioned file size limitation still relevant for 64-bit version of Live? Anyway, it's somewhat frustrating.

:(

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Re: 2 GB size limit in 64-bit version of Live?

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:12 am

What OS are you using?

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:22 am

Tarekith wrote:What OS are you using?
Mac OS X 10.9.5

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:56 am

Shouldn't be an issue then. You mention live won't let you do it, what exactly happens when you try?

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06 am

locojohn wrote:Hello,

We have recorded a long drum session into multi-mic drum samples as separate 32-bit floating point PCM WAV files in the professional record studio. Each WAV would be around 2.1 GB in size.

I just tried to load these samples into a Live set and Live would not allow me to do this. I found the following article:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... file-size/

But I am using a 64-bit version of Live and I wonder why the file limit is still in effect? Both Studio One and Logic Pro would allow me to load the files. I wonder if it's a bug or is the mentioned file size limitation still relevant for 64-bit version of Live? Anyway, it's somewhat frustrating.

:(

Andrejs
Might be unrelated but there is a massive sample in Orchestral Packs which tops out just above 2Gb. If you try to load this into Samplers RAM it tells you to take a hike because there is a 1Gb limit. Ableton told me that yes, there is a 1gb limit. Slightly different in the packs though as they tend to load multiple samples all at once. I think that this limit still applies to the latest version (9.5) I use 64bit version. Hope this helps.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:17 am

Tarekith wrote:Shouldn't be an issue then. You mention live won't let you do it, what exactly happens when you try?

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:11 pm

I saw this message the other day. I don't think that it was size related.

I was resampling some stuff from midi to audio, like you do, in one version of live and then I tried to drag the sample into another open copy of live to start a new arrangement.
It didn't allow me to do it because of that very message? The audio I was dragging around was not large at all. I just had to create a new set.

Your situation is slightly different because you are just opening a wav from a location right? With no other Live version open?...strange

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Joel W-J wrote:I saw this message the other day. I don't think that it was size related.

I was resampling some stuff from midi to audio, like you do, in one version of live and then I tried to drag the sample into another open copy of live to start a new arrangement.
It didn't allow me to do it because of that very message? The audio I was dragging around was not large at all. I just had to create a new set.
Maybe the audio file got somehow corrupted in your case.

Joel W-J wrote: Your situation is slightly different because you are just opening a wav from a location right? With no other Live version open?...strange
In my case I just exported bunch of long audio files from Protools session in 32-bit PCM WAV format and they open everywhere but Ableton Live.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah, I was thinking it might be corrupted too. If you want to send it to me, I have some tools that might be able to save it. Just drop me a PM if you're interested.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I was thinking it might be corrupted too. If you want to send it to me, I have some tools that might be able to save it. Just drop me a PM if you're interested.
I wonder to whom this message was addressed? :-)

Tarekith, you are very nice and generous person. From all posts on this forum it's clear that you are willing to help people and so may I just wish that life returns you all the best for all your help!

As for my case, I also have the tools, and actually I think I will work on the files directly in Studio One as they have pretty nice mix tools with phase inverter -- something I need to check for with each drum channel against one another. I wonder how to correctly get rid of the spill of, say, a kick sound in the snare sample etc. But I guess this is going to be offtopic, so here's my last statement:

Wish Live had [better] support for mixing/sequencing/non-destructive editing of tracks.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:12 am

I was addressing it to you John, but if you have it sorted then nevermind :)