Find what Key an acapella is in ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tvoismo

Find what Key an acapella is in ?

Post by tvoismo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:20 am

What would be the easiest way to find what Key an acapella is in ? And then, where to start with the piano roll to make it fit in the same key ? ( or how does it work ? )

I know this is a strange question, but please help me find any tutorial or something where this is answered in the easiest way.

Thanks !

jlgrimes

Re: Find what Key an acapella is in ?

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:37 pm

tvoismo wrote:What would be the easiest way to find what Key an acapella is in ? And then, where to start with the piano roll to make it fit in the same key ? ( or how does it work ? )

I know this is a strange question, but please help me find any tutorial or something where this is answered in the easiest way.

Thanks !

Easiest/Cheapest/Most accurate way is by ear. A little music theory helps here. It all comes down to figuring out the scale of the song. It can often be many keys as well depending on your perception.

Melodyne is the only program I know that attempts to figure out the scale. Ableton has an audio to midi function but I don't know if it finds the scale but it should find the notes and it usually will be one of the notes that is sung.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 pm

jlgrimes wrote:Easiest/Cheapest/Most accurate way is by ear. A little music theory helps here. It all comes down to figuring out the scale of the song. It can often be many keys as well depending on your perception.
Yeah, learn music theory. That should only take about an hour. :lol: :wink:

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Maybe Hornet's Song Key would work for you. Only €11. Haven't tried it myself mind.

http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/ho ... ngkey-mk2/

prprprpr

Post by prprprpr » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:04 pm

the most easiest way would be to have a keyboard and just look for the note which sound most natural and in tone with acapella. Try it out this is super easy, precise and also trains your ear.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:41 pm

The problem with the question is that depending on the specific characteristics of the melody you could conceivably harmonize it to work in any key you wanted.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 pm

stringtapper wrote:The problem with the question is that depending on the specific characteristics of the melody you could conceivably harmonize it to work in any key you wanted.
this...

and which word? if the acapella is only 6 syllables that's one thing, but if it's got any length to it, it could vary depending on where you focus... unless it's monotone - is it an acapella of GURU from Gang Starr?

Post by 102455 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:44 pm

There are several key detection programs for DJ use. Some are free, some are not. One of the best/most popular is called Mixed In Key.

Also, most DJ software now will analyze key and display it for you. Again, some is free and some is not.

Alternatively, if the acca comes from a well known track, look up the key of the track online. There are several databases for that type of info. Even sheet music sites (if the track is well known).

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:34 pm

prprprpr wrote:the most easiest way would be to have a keyboard and just look for the note which sound most natural and in tone with acapella. Try it out this is super easy, precise and also trains your ear.
This probably the best method if you are trying to fit in source material that you didn’t create and you don't have a music theory background.

This is also the problem with things like the key plugin. Essentially it’s there to help the untrained, which is great if they are doing everything from scratch, but then they get source material they didn’t create and they have the same problem on the backend. Then the key plugin is their enemy, flopping through presets in the hopes of landing on the one that fits.

Music can be hard. :|

mcnelson

Post by mcnelson » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Photosounder Spiral - you can get a version free with Computer Music magazine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNNl0rFhps0
Ableton Live::Audio Damage::Sonic Charge::Sugar Bytes