SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
micksmuse
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by micksmuse » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:50 am

so i am tired of slow loads and overwroking my regular drive.
i am thinking SSD 1tb. internal to a desktop
anything i should know (brand?, speed?) i know nothing about them.

can you load everything related to ableton on it and just keep it specifically for ableton projects.
is it an easy switchover to the SSD by just changing where library, VST are etc.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 am

micksmuse wrote:so i am tired of slow loads and overwroking my regular drive.
i am thinking SSD 1tb. internal to a desktop
anything i should know (brand?, speed?) i know nothing about them.

can you load everything related to ableton on it and just keep it specifically for ableton projects.
is it an easy switchover to the SSD by just changing where library, VST are etc.
Usually you want the OS on the SSD as well.
Make some music!

sana48
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by sana48 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:06 am

You'll want your OS, Ableton app, and all things Ableton relayed on it. Your OS and Ableton app shouldn't be more than 40 gigs. You'll be shocked at the speed.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:08 am

sana48 wrote:You'll want your OS, Ableton app, and all things Ableton relayed on it. Your OS and Ableton app shouldn't be more than 40 gigs. You'll be shocked at the speed.
Well, my installed Suite library is 72GB. The factory ones from Suite seem to be about 63GB.
Make some music!

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by miekwave » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:10 am

micksmuse wrote:so i am tired of slow loads and overwroking my regular drive.
i am thinking SSD 1tb. internal to a desktop
anything i should know (brand?, speed?) i know nothing about them.

can you load everything related to ableton on it and just keep it specifically for ableton projects.
is it an easy switchover to the SSD by just changing where library, VST are etc.
Samsung 850 Pro and SanDisk Extreme Pro are the top benchmark performing 2.5" form factor SSD drives in 1TB capacity.

Intel 750 PCIe SSD is by far the best performing SSD on the market

Samsung 951 M.2 SSD and 950 M.2 are reliable M.2 factor ssd's in 512
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

micksmuse
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by micksmuse » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:39 pm

so sounds like i am good to just mirror my regular hard drive and then use the ssd as my hard drive, maybe make old one my back up.
thanks for all the advice & suggestions. sounds like the way to go.

Tarekith
Posts: 17640
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Definitely, if you want the benefits of the SSD, you want to have as much on it as you can. I have my OS, all my apps, and my sample libraries on the internal SSD. I save things like my archives, my movie collection, any large files I don't use that often really, to external drive. Works great, first time your computer boots you'll do a double take at how quick it happened :)

lovelight
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by lovelight » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

i have the same thougts, but i really would like not to install everything one more time, so as i hear you can mirror everything ? just plug the ssd in and copy everything to it, Os, Live and all your vst,s ?

micksmuse
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by micksmuse » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:20 pm

Samsung 850 Pro seems to get great reviews. so i have never put in another drive. i assume i will need mounting kit and adaptor cable? so does this just go to 3.0 usb?

Tarekith
Posts: 17640
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:39 pm

lovelight wrote:i have the same thougts, but i really would like not to install everything one more time, so as i hear you can mirror everything ? just plug the ssd in and copy everything to it, Os, Live and all your vst,s ?
Honestly, I'd look at a new drive as a chance to do a clean install. Make sure you only have the latest app and driver versions install, skip installing apps you never use, etc. It not only frees up a bit more hard drive space than you'd think (useful when you're trying to fit stuff on an SSD), but just seems to make things more stable overall. It's well worth the few hours it might take me one day, and knock on wood, I seem to be one of those people who almost never runs into any computer issues when it comes to music making.

I'm sure you could clone your HD or use a restore from Time Machine if you really wanted to, but if it's been awhile since you had a fresh install, might be worth your time.

Just my $0.02 though.

sana48
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by sana48 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:19 pm

Ableton app is only 3 gigs, any packs and added sample I was considering as an extra.

I just upgraded to an SSD one week ago. I also did not want to have to reinstall everything but it is honestly the best way to go in my opinion.

Took me a couple days but a fresh start is golden;)

sana48
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by sana48 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Tarekith wrote:Definitely, if you want the benefits of the SSD, you want to have as much on it as you can. I have my OS, all my apps, and my sample libraries on the internal SSD. I save things like my archives, my movie collection, any large files I don't use that often really, to external drive. Works great, first time your computer boots you'll do a double take at how quick it happened :)

+1


Do this,)

miekwave
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by miekwave » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:45 am

micksmuse wrote:Samsung 850 Pro seems to get great reviews. so i have never put in another drive. i assume i will need mounting kit and adaptor cable? so does this just go to 3.0 usb?
Do not USB 3 Samsung 850 Pro. Samsung 850 Pro Magician software is INCOMPATIBLE with USB 3.0.
If you want to use USB 3, get Samsung T1 Portable 1 TB USB 3.0 External SSD which is optimized for USB performance and trim is already optimized for USB.

The T1 is as reliable as the 850 pro in terms of durability.


Samsung 850 pro performance gain is to be had connecting internally, and with USB 3.0 you would only be using about 20% of its true capability.

But if you are a power user and want to configure trim yourself on USB 850 pro via USB, then by all means go for it, it is a sensitive process to optimize manually.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

micksmuse
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by micksmuse » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:21 pm

miekwave wrote:
micksmuse wrote:Samsung 850 Pro seems to get great reviews. so i have never put in another drive. i assume i will need mounting kit and adaptor cable? so does this just go to 3.0 usb?
Do not USB 3 Samsung 850 Pro. Samsung 850 Pro Magician software is INCOMPATIBLE with USB 3.0.

thanks for the heads up on that. before i watched a couple installation vid's i thought i would have to use usb but looks like it will all be done internally so should be ok.

kitekrazy
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by kitekrazy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:44 pm

micksmuse wrote:
miekwave wrote:
micksmuse wrote:Samsung 850 Pro seems to get great reviews. so i have never put in another drive. i assume i will need mounting kit and adaptor cable? so does this just go to 3.0 usb?
Do not USB 3 Samsung 850 Pro. Samsung 850 Pro Magician software is INCOMPATIBLE with USB 3.0.

thanks for the heads up on that. before i watched a couple installation vid's i thought i would have to use usb but looks like it will all be done internally so should be ok.
If you don't want the hassle of doing a clean install most drives come with software to transfer everything. I think Sandisk charges extra for it.

Post Reply