SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by miekwave » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:20 am

micksmuse wrote:
miekwave wrote:
micksmuse wrote:Samsung 850 Pro seems to get great reviews. so i have never put in another drive. i assume i will need mounting kit and adaptor cable? so does this just go to 3.0 usb?
Do not USB 3 Samsung 850 Pro. Samsung 850 Pro Magician software is INCOMPATIBLE with USB 3.0.

thanks for the heads up on that. before i watched a couple installation vid's i thought i would have to use usb but looks like it will all be done internally so should be ok.
Sorry let me clarify. Sorry for the contusion. Samsung 850 Pro cloning kit works with Samsung 8500 Pro via USB 3. But Magician SSD optimization is not compatible. Sorry for consusion, you can still Samsung 850 pro if you want to close it then install internally.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm

yeah, that's what i think i am going to do. thanks for the follow-up and attention to detail. can't wait. have a good new year

jpga

Post by jpga » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi friends
I also go in the thoughts of switching to SSD disks! I have 4 drives in my computer. 1, osx, Ableton 2, samples, 3, Project 4, backup. Do I need to buy 4 SSD disks or do I work from one disk?
What is the best?

sana48

Post by sana48 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:03 pm

jpga wrote:Hi friends
I also go in the thoughts of switching to SSD disks! I have 4 drives in my computer. 1, osx, Ableton 2, samples, 3, Project 4, backup. Do I need to buy 4 SSD disks or do I work from one disk?
What is the best?

One drive is fine if you can afford a large enough one.

jpga

Post by jpga » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:19 pm

So I only need one disk with ssd for best performance when working with big projekt?

sana48

Post by sana48 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 pm

jpga wrote:So I only need one disk with ssd for best performance when working with big projekt?

Correct.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:50 am

jpga wrote:So I only need one disk with ssd for best performance when working with big projekt?
SSD for samples and VSTi
7200 RPM for Project saves and Audio Stems
Separate drive for OS
Seperate drive for backup/media (movies, pictures, downloads)

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:51 am

miekwave wrote:
SSD for samples and VSTi
7200 RPM for Project saves and Audio Stems
Separate drive for OS
For ultimate performance get Intel 750 PCIe X4 card for Samples, VSTi, and Projects

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:08 am

miekwave wrote: 7200 RPM for Project saves and Audio Stems
Separate drive for OS
I respectfully disagree with this statement in that I fail to see how putting audio stems and project saves on a 7200 rpm HDD gives better performance overall. I think this is great practical advice, and it is also the advice Ableton gives- (due to the cost of large SSD) and honestly there really is no need for all the pictures/movies/ downloads etc.. to be on the SSD; but from a performance perspective I have found that all things studio related on 1 SSD drive works great. In the multiple HDD drive days, separating the OS from other apps increased performance due to the read/write times of HDD but SSD is another world. This is my perception, and many others that I have spoken with. But, I could also be totally wrong lol.

Cheers

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:56 am

sana48 wrote:
I respectfully disagree with this statement in that I fail to see how putting audio stems and project saves on a 7200 rpm HDD gives better performance overall. I think this is great practical advice, and it is also the advice Ableton gives- (due to the cost of large SSD) and honestly there really is no need for all the pictures/movies/ downloads etc.. to be on the SSD; but from a performance perspective I have found that all things studio related on 1 SSD drive works great. In the multiple HDD drive days, separating the OS from other apps increased performance due to the read/write times of HDD but SSD is another world. This is my perception, and many others that I have spoken with. But, I could also be totally wrong lol.

Cheers
You still need separate drives for optimal performance. When your SSD throttles you will get dropouts and rendering errors if your 4k write threshold is met due to BG processes.

So basicially what I am saying is this..

An ideal setup is
120-250GB ssd for OS
(mgrd. during or after 2014) - the best ones on the market are Samsung 850 Pro and Sandisk Extreme editions

Any 500GB SSD
for Ableton and Suite (packs) - Samsung Evo 850 will do since its mostly for Read.

WD 7200 Black or Raptor
for Project files and stems

Seagate 5200 2TB-6TB
for file backups, downloads, and media

Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TB
for Ultimate Sample Load times if you use Komplete Ultimate, EWQL, SoundIron, VEP, Project Sam, Gurritan, Spitfire Audio or any other "Hollywood" type premium sample libraries - these libraries require high tier i7 or dual xeon power and at least 32GB ram to utilize massive track counts at 96/24 render before mastering to 44k.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:03 am

miekwave wrote:
You still need separate drives for optimal performance. When your SSD throttles you will get dropouts and rendering errors if your 4k write threshold is met due to BG processes.
But how often is this met? I have a 1TB internal SSD drive throttled by the system bus at 250MB/s and never encounter any issues. In a modern machine you'd go over this speed as the system bus is faster.

Assuming that you with a faster machine would be able to process more data per second at what point would you reach this threshold?
Make some music!

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:37 am

In fairness, the aforementioned "side" topic is performance, and I can see that a performance advantage may be achieved with multiple drives but the threshold at which said performance gains would be noticed must be extremely high I would imagine? Far beyond the scope of my humble studio work.

I am also curious, in laymen terms, at what point this performance advantage would be perceivable?

jpga

Post by jpga » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:52 pm

So basicially what I am saying is this..

An ideal setup is
120-250GB ssd for OS
(mgrd. during or after 2014) - the best ones on the market are Samsung 850 Pro and Sandisk Extreme editions

Any 500GB SSD
for Ableton and Suite (packs) - Samsung Evo 850 will do since its mostly for Read.

WD 7200 Black or Raptor
for Project files and stems

Seagate 5200 2TB-6TB
for file backups, downloads, and media

Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TB
for Ultimate Sample Load times if you use Komplete Ultimate, EWQL, SoundIron, VEP, Project Sam, Gurritan, Spitfire Audio or any other "Hollywood" type premium sample libraries - these libraries require high tier i7 or dual xeon power and at least 32GB ram to utilize massive track counts at 96/24 render before mastering to 44k.[/quote]

Thank's for the answer!
All the best,,

Jp

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:50 pm

That looks so overly complicated to me. 8O One SSD for everything I need day to day (OS, samples. projects, applications, etc), one external USB3 drive for back ups and things I need long term like movies or my archives..

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:That looks so overly complicated to me. 8O One SSD for everything I need day to day (OS, samples. projects, applications, etc), one external USB3 drive for back ups and things I need long term like movies or my archives..

+1