SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jestermgee

Re: SSD drive and everything from ableton on it

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeah I think people over think this aspect way too much in order to solve all the issues they don't have yet. Tarekith is pretty spot on there. Really you want an SSD for your system and programs (loads everything snappy) then you can have almost everything on a quality HDD.

IF you wanted to improve loading of large sample librarys for VSTs (such as EastWest/Kontakt etc) then a second SSD with your VST library files will improve this. There is no real need to use an SSD for your live library, Samples or Live projects.

In regards to bandwidth issues internally I personally have never hit this limitation but I guess if you were recording and writing dozens of tracks at a time you may.

Save the money and the headache and start simple. You can always add another SSD and move a few things around down the road.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:58 am

jestermgee wrote: There is no real need to use an SSD for your live library, Samples or Live projects.
It may affect loading times positively.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 am

Agreed, I'd keep as much music related files as possible on the SSD.

breslin

Post by breslin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am

On a bit of a side topic, I'm looking an new external hard drive for my samples and time machine back up. Is there any real benefit of going down the SSD route for this over a 7200rpm hard drive?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:04 pm

I've never used an external SSD myself, but going with a USB3 external HD over a USB2 one was a gigantic jump in terms of transfer speeds here.

breslin

Post by breslin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:42 pm

Tarekith wrote:I've never used an external SSD myself, but going with a USB3 external HD over a USB2 one was a gigantic jump in terms of transfer speeds here.
Cheers Tarekith.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:53 pm

breslin wrote:On a bit of a side topic, I'm looking an new external hard drive for my samples and time machine back up. Is there any real benefit of going down the SSD route for this over a 7200rpm hard drive?
A 7200rpm drive may at best read at around 100MB/s or so I think (Please mention what is faster). An SSD can typically read at about 250 to 600MB/s or something like that, maybe even faster with eSATA (1.5 Gbps to 6 Gbps throughput) or USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt (About 10 Gbps theoretical throughput). That's fast enough on some older machines you have to consider if the system bus and/or connective technology can keep up. Many other aspects affect performance as well, like search, typical file sizes and whether trim is active or not.

My view is that SSD is faster enough to make it feel like a night and day difference. Of course if you never need read speeds above 100MB/s then so be it. But when is that? Even graphics can feel faster with SSD simply because the GUI isn't waiting on data. I didn't expect that aspect.
Make some music!

jpga

Post by jpga » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:34 pm

In regards to bandwidth issues internally I personally have never hit this limitation but I guess if you were recording and writing dozens of tracks at a time you may.

Bandwith issues? Never heard of!
I have four 7200rpm in diffrent size and they sound to mutch that's why I want to switch to SSD.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:55 pm

My very first laptop over a decade ago came with a 4200 RPM drive internally, and I used to run well over 60+ 24bit stereo tracks on that with no issues at all. An SSD of any kind compared to that is orders of magnitude faster and easier to deal with. Get one, any one, and it will be one of the most noticeable upgrades you'll experience when it comes to computers today.

Going full USB3 (hubs, drives, etc) over USB2 is a close second in my book, at least if you spend a lot of time shuttling data back and forth to one daily like I do (client files, backing up mastering projects, etc).

Like Stromkraft says, it's a night and day difference. Put your OS, your apps, and as much of your music-making related files on it as possible, and it's the last you'll have to think about HD speed in the near future.

jpga

Post by jpga » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:My very first laptop over a decade ago came with a 4200 RPM drive internally, and I used to run well over 60+ 24bit stereo tracks on that with no issues at all. An SSD of any kind compared to that is orders of magnitude faster and easier to deal with. Get one, any one, and it will be one of the most noticeable upgrades you'll experience when it comes to computers today.

Going full USB3 (hubs, drives, etc) over USB2 is a close second in my book, at least if you spend a lot of time shuttling data back and forth to one daily like I do (client files, backing up mastering projects, etc).

Like Stromkraft says, it's a night and day difference. Put your OS, your apps, and as much of your music-making related files on it as possible, and it's the last you'll have to think about HD speed in the near future.
Thank's
The first thing I do in the morning is and buys four SSD with matching plates so it's painless to install on my mac pro.

All the best,,
JP

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm

jpga wrote: The first thing I do in the morning is and buys four SSD with matching plates so it's painless to install on my mac pro.

JP

You are going to buy and install 4 SSD drives?

jpga

Post by jpga » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:32 pm

No I go for 3!

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:33 pm

More power to you brother :lol:

I am sure you will love the upgrade.

cheers

jpga

Post by jpga » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:43 pm

sana48 wrote:More power to you brother :lol:

I am sure you will love the upgrade.

cheers
Thank's

All the best,,

JP

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:15 am

Tarekith wrote:An SSD of any kind compared to that is orders of magnitude faster and easier to deal with. Get one, any one, and it will be one of the most noticeable upgrades you'll experience when it comes to computers today.
What's your experience on SSD stability and longevity? I've adopted a more or less regular full disk backup and daily works backup. My SSD is nearing one year. My older 3.5 TB drives are still running, but I must assume they can cave in any day. I use them for long-term storage, but there is always a limit on how long that term is.
Make some music!