CC11 (Expression)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PhilMul

CC11 (Expression)

Post by PhilMul » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:35 pm

This may be a dumb question but here goes; I instantiate Zebra2 on track and setup my MIDI channels and start playing my plugin. Everything seems fine, but when I use CC11 (expression) nothing happens. It seems that Live is not passing this controller through to the plugin. Plz help?

swanny8777

Re: CC11 (Expression)

Post by swanny8777 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 pm

PhilMul wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:35 pm
This may be a dumb question but here goes; I instantiate Zebra2 on track and setup my MIDI channels and start playing my plugin. Everything seems fine, but when I use CC11 (expression) nothing happens. It seems that Live is not passing this controller through to the plugin. Plz help?
Hi, did you ever figure anything out on this? I've been trying to figure out expression implementation as well with no luck, even after a call to tech support.

doghouse

Re: CC11 (Expression)

Post by doghouse » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 pm

swanny8777,

Since you came over here from your other thread, I'll point out why the OP had trouble four years ago. From the Zebra manual:
While auditioning presets you should always try the performance controls velocity, pitch
bend, modulation wheel and pressure. Many presets are also programmed to react to
Breath (MIDI CC#02) and/or Expression (MIDI CC#11).
In other words, all patches do not support expression.

All MIDI CC operation is 100% dependent on the receiving device. If that device is not programmed to support CC#11, sending that CC does nothing. End of story. You have to consider each instrument individually, whether it is software or hardware.