The Bass Conundrum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tim V

The Bass Conundrum

Post by Tim V » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:29 pm

I need some help on how to create a certain type of bass sound, as in example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYZV8vZAHk - after about 30 seconds, that full bodied, almost toneless weight under the kick.

I've tried everything I can think of....side chaining off another track with the same kick with a reverb on it, setting up toms on a loop, etc etc etc. I refuse to sample other people's basslines btw, I want to learn how to do this...

Any ideas anybody. It's driving me goddam nuts!! 8O 8O 8O

Cheers :mrgreen:

downfader

Re: The Bass Conundrum

Post by downfader » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:42 pm

The sound after 30 seconds is the 808 kick drum with a long release to my ears. Its then compressed. Look on youtube there are loads of tutorials on how to compress kicks like this (just type in the genre) :)

Tim V

Re: The Bass Conundrum

Post by Tim V » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 am

downfader wrote:The sound after 30 seconds is the 808 kick drum with a long release to my ears. Its then compressed. Look on youtube there are loads of tutorials on how to compress kicks like this (just type in the genre) :)
I've tried similar stuff with Big Kick kick synth, you can extend the release and hold to get that effect, but never tried to compress it after that...thx!