Sidechaining multiple tracks in a group

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dingo20

Sidechaining multiple tracks in a group

Post by Dingo20 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:20 am

Hey, guys. I've been using Ableton for a while, but only really focused on it as my production DAW recently. One question I had was regarding sidechaining.

When I'm putting together a track, this is what I do.

I go part by part, so I start with an intro, then verse, chorus, etc. Now what I do is for each part, I create a group for all of the tracks that I use in that part of the song except for the drums. I set my volumes at the appropriate levels on the individual tracks then leave the group track at 0(same with the drum track). I then put the glue compressor on the group track and sidechain the drums with the group track that is handling the synths and bass. So far, I've found that process to be more convenient and I like the results I'm getting. My question is, does anybody see a problem with the process I'm taking or does anybody have any alternative suggestions for sidechaining?

The reason why I decided to organize my tracks this way is I wanted to make sure it was easy to keep track of all of the parts at one time and know exactly which track is going into what for the sidechaining.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Stromkraft

Re: Sidechaining multiple tracks in a group

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Dingo20 wrote:I create a group for all of the tracks that I use in that part of the song except for the drums. I set my volumes at the appropriate levels on the individual tracks then leave the group track at 0(same with the drum track). I then put the glue compressor on the group track and sidechain the drums with the group track that is handling the synths and bass.
The side chain is going from the drum track — which is effectively a group? — to the Glue compressor in the Instrument group track?

So is the effect you want here that all the instruments as a group duck for the drums, i.e. any drum hits? I assume you use a short release?

If you're happy with how this sounds — which must be the number one criteria —  then I don't see an issue with this, but I wouldn't use different groups unless I had to. I'd just change the setting or keep differently set plug-ins in a rack an activate them as needed. But that's just a preference.

I also have started to use a lot of side-chaining, but not as widely as you seem to have opted for.

What are the benefits you hear with this setup?
Make some music!

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Dingo20 wrote:I create a group for all of the tracks that I use in that part of the song except for the drums. I set my volumes at the appropriate levels on the individual tracks then leave the group track at 0(same with the drum track). I then put the glue compressor on the group track and sidechain the drums with the group track that is handling the synths and bass.
The side chain is going from the drum track — which is effectively a group? — to the Glue compressor in the Instrument group track?

So is the effect you want here that all the instruments as a group duck for the drums, i.e. any drum hits? I assume you use a short release?

If you're happy with how this sounds — which must be the number one criteria —  then I don't see an issue with this, but I wouldn't use different groups unless I had to. I'd just change the setting or keep differently set plug-ins in a rack an activate them as needed. But that's just a preference.

I also have started to use a lot of side-chaining, but not as widely as you seem to have opted for.

What are the benefits you hear with this setup?
Sorry if there's any confusion. Allow me to clarify.

For example, all of the tracks that I use on a chorus is grouped together except for the drums. I then put a glue compressor on the group track with the audio coming from the drum track. I just found this to be an easier and more convenient way to sidechain instead of sidechaining certain tracks here and there.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Dingo20 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: What are the benefits you hear with this setup?

For example, all of the tracks that I use on a chorus is grouped together except for the drums. I then put a glue compressor on the group track with the audio coming from the drum track. I just found this to be an easier and more convenient way to sidechain instead of sidechaining certain tracks here and there.
Yeah, I got that much I think. Side-chaining a group of instruments with input from a drum group, will of course sound differently than "sidechaining certain tracks here and there". I'd like to try this method of yours.

The closest I've got to this myself is using a side-chain return to which I send instruments I want to use as side-chain input. This way I can make an ad-hoc side-chain group, that can be changed and automated as I want it and can receive signals from anywhere.

This return is routed to the input of the receiving device, like a compressor or something else with side-chain input, wherever it may be. Typically I'd use this mixing together a signal of snares and hi-hats and other drums with high energy to make synths duck when these play. Also for side-chaining noise when certain instruments play and stuff like that. Or anything really.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Dingo20 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: What are the benefits you hear with this setup?

Yeah, I got that much I think. Side-chaining a group of instruments with input from a drum group, will of course sound differently than "sidechaining certain tracks here and there". I'd like to try this method of yours.

The closest I've got to this myself is using a side-chain return to which I send instruments I want to use as side-chain input. This way I can make an ad-hoc side-chain group, that can be changed and automated as I want it and can receive signals from anywhere.

This return is routed to the input of the receiving device, like a compressor or something else with side-chain input, wherever it may be. Typically I'd use this mixing together snares and hi-hats and other drums with high energy to make synths duck when these play. Also noise. Or anything really.
So you set up one side chain on a return channel or do you do that several times? Never tried that before.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 am

Dingo20 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Yeah, I got that much I think. Side-chaining a group of instruments with input from a drum group, will of course sound differently than "sidechaining certain tracks here and there". I'd like to try this method of yours.

This return is routed to the input of the receiving device, like a compressor or something else with side-chain input, wherever it may be. Typically I'd use this mixing together snares and hi-hats and other drums with high energy to make synths duck when these play. Also noise. Or anything really.
So you set up one side chain on a return channel or do you do that several times? Never tried that before.
I set up as many I need, but never went above 3 so far. The return is only mixing together and re-routing the signals from any tracks sending to it. If it's a third party device to the SC input of that device on the track where it's placed

or if native the SC input of the receiving Live effect like Glue, Compressor, Gate and so on, is set to take its input from this SC return track:

Make some music!

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:06 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Dingo20 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Yeah, I got that much I think. Side-chaining a group of instruments with input from a drum group, will of course sound differently than "sidechaining certain tracks here and there". I'd like to try this method of yours.

I set up as many I need, but never went above 3 so far. The return is only mixing together and re-routing the signals from any tracks sending to it. If it's a third party device to the SC input of that device on the track where it's placed

or if native the SC input of the receiving Live effect like Glue, Compressor, Gate and so on, is set to take its input from this SC return track:

Interesting. Do you use this technique for just bass/drums or do you use it for any instrument?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:23 am

*bookmark* :)

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:30 am

H20nly wrote:*bookmark* :)
Did I give you a new trick to add to your arsenal? lol :P

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:10 am

Dingo20 wrote:
Interesting. Do you use this technique for just bass/drums or do you use it for any instrument?
I haven't set any limitations like that. It's just a technique among others that I picked up somewhere and liked.

Somewhat outside of this I sometimes also send the same signal as in the SC as a signal to the input of that audio track, so it can be processed, like if it's a gate or something like that.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Dingo20 wrote:
I haven't set any limitations like that. It's just a technique among others that I picked up somewhere and liked.

Somewhat outside of this I sometimes I also send the same signal as in the SC as a signal to the input of that audio track, so it can be processed, like of it's a gate or something like that.

Interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip! :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Dingo20 wrote:
well, let's just say... i couldn't have found it without you :wink:

@Stromkraft, and you...

Dingo20

Post by Dingo20 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:37 am

H20nly wrote:
Dingo20 wrote:
well, let's just say... i couldn't have found it without you :wink:

@Stromkraft, and you...

Cool. Have you tried it out? What do you think of sidechaining the way I've been doing it?