Can't see TR-8 in my External Instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daniel_S

Can't see TR-8 in my External Instrument

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm trying to use DrumRacks with my TR-8 and have downloaded a few different racks for this purpose.

However, I can't get any of them to work due to not being able to see the TR-8 in the MIDI output box in the External Instrument.

Any ideas what settings I need to have checked in Preferences for this to work?

I don't send audio over USB however I do have it connected via USB and it tempo syncs to Ableton perfectly. Up until now, I've just been recording each drum separately.

Cheers :)

Shift Gorden

Re: Can't see TR-8 in my External Instrument

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Daniel_S wrote:I'm trying to use DrumRacks with my TR-8 and have downloaded a few different racks for this purpose.

However, I can't get any of them to work due to not being able to see the TR-8 in the MIDI output box in the External Instrument.

I don't send audio over USB however I do have it connected via USB and it tempo syncs to Ableton perfectly. Up until now, I've just been recording each drum separately.

Hmmm, a little confused by this.

Are you trying to use Ableton to trigger the TR-8?

Yeah, audio won't go through USB - USB just handles midi data (including clock data).

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Daniel_S wrote:I'm trying to use DrumRacks with my TR-8 and have downloaded a few different racks for this purpose.

Hmmm, a little confused by this.

Are you trying to use Ableton to trigger the TR-8?

Yeah, audio won't go through USB - USB just handles midi data (including clock data).
Yeah I want to trigger the TR-8 using Push in Drumracks.

The TR-8 can send its audio over USB but I am not using that option, just using the USB for MIDI data :)

In my external instrument, in the MIDI out panel, I can only see my synth and push. I need to see the TR-8 but it's not there.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Gotcha!

Yeah, there is definitely something up if External Instrument can't see your TR-8. Mine recognizes my Prophet 6 with no issues so there is definitely something up there.

You mentioned Ableton syncs with your drum machine, can you get Ableton to trigger any notes at all (Piano roll)? Or, can yoy get Ableton to record any kind of midi data from the TR-8. I'm guessing no, but just thought I'd ask.

Did you add the TR-8 as a control surface in the Preferences section?

Now, I'm not 100% on this, but can drum racks even trigger an external instrument? I thought it was for internal samples only - since drum racks is basically a Simpler interface.

Edit: Hmmm, looks like you can use synth's in Drum Racks...so I'm probably wrong about the whole external instrument trigger!