Can someone define trip hop?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Rahlo

Can someone define trip hop?

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:19 am

I've always thought it was mainly slowed down hip hop. What're some other elements that differentiate trip hop from hip hop.

Those of you who're into trip hop deeply, who are some cats I should check out?
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

smutek

Re: Can someone define trip hop?

Post by smutek » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:27 am

rahlo wrote:I've always thought it was mainly slowed down hip hop. What're some other elements that differentiate trip hop from hip hop.

Those of you who're into trip hop deeply, who are some cats I should check out?
Hey Rahlo, check out Tricky, Portishead, and Massive Attack for starters.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:30 am

check out some of the innovators of the "trip hop" sound.

IMO, they are early massive attack, all the original mo' wax label stuff, dj krush "strictly turntablized", all the early dj shadow singles, tosca, thievery corp.

follow this line up to newer groups like ammon contact and there you have it. Trip Hop.

HTH
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

futureproof

Re: Can someone define trip hop?

Post by futureproof » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:32 am

smutek wrote:check out Tricky, Portishead, and Massive Attack for starters.
definately trip hop but if I were to be anal about it, "bristol sound". LOL
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

thedonzarelli

Post by thedonzarelli » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:36 am

On the topic, for beyond begginers, is there anything out there now that resemebles the mid to late 90s sounds of trip hop. I try finding some stuff that stays true to that sound, but it's mostly downtempo crap. Any suggestions of newer 2000+ groups (non-ninja tune, b/c most of that stuff is ill). Word

pix

Post by pix » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 am

yeah, I've been searching too, and there's not much coming out with that same "Vienna" mood anymore. everybody's turning to IDM.

But I really suggest Deru and Waldeck maybe. Same mood, not the exact same sound, but very good as well.

And trip hop has nothing to do with hip hop. It's the beauty and beast if you ask me.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:36 am

also check out older Esthero. Kruder & Dorfmeister, older Morcheeba and DJ Spooky.

and ya, DJ Shadow is a definite must.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:37 am

pix wrote: And trip hop has nothing to do with hip hop. It's the beauty and beast if you ask me.
i just listened to some portishead, tricky, and dj krush. dj krush even had aesop rock and another cat rhyming on a few of his joints. all of the above had beats that sounded like slow hip hop beats to me.

why do you say trip hop has nothing to do with hip hop?
peace,

rahlo

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:41 am

AdamJay wrote:also check out older Esthero. Kruder & Dorfmeister, older Morcheeba and DJ Spooky.

and ya, DJ Shadow is a definite must.
ya know, I'm starting to see a common thread here. some cats are saying check out older/earlier this artist or that artist. does that mean those are the best examples of trip hop, or that no one is making it anymore?

btw, thanks for all the input. I'm digging some of the snippets I'm checking out at the itunes music store. I'ma definitely have to pick up some portishead junk, dj krush, and tricky.
peace,

rahlo

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:41 am

i think rhythmically, trip hop has alot to do with hip hop.

but in terms of vibe, its much more chill and there's quite a bit more room for just instrumental music as with many genre's of electronic music.

but one cannot deny the rawness of the production, and the rhythmic flow that is common across both genres.

i'd say a good analogy is how techno relates to house almost (and differentiates as well). they are similar in "sound" but definitely create different headspaces and move the body and mind in different ways.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:44 am

rahlo wrote: ya know, I'm starting to see a common thread here. some cats are saying check out older/earlier this artist or that artist. does that mean those are the best examples of trip hop, or that no one is making it anymore?
yea basically you're looking for good audible definitions, and some artists' older work defines the genre better than their more recent work.

if you asked me for a good example of Heavy Metal, i certainly wouldn't tell you to listen to Metallica's latest album, but rather point you back a couple decades.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:46 am

I think the core to its sound were (like most music of the time) its simplicity due mainly to limitations in technology. Most of Portishead's music was done on a sampler with a then-massive 2 mb of sampling space. Now folks can throw together much more complex tunes, so the music gets busier, which goes against much of what trip hop was.

Definitely Massive Attack's EARLIEST cd Mezzanine,

A good band to look at is Hooverphonic. Look for the A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular CD

Tricky. Maximquae. BAD ASS

Of course NONE of it if post 2000

(Some consider DJ Shadow's work Hip Hop (Including Shadow himself) but it pretty trippy.)

Peace
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Captain Screwbarb

Post by Captain Screwbarb » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:50 am

"Definitely Massive Attack's EARLIEST cd Mezzanine"

Wasn't Mezzanine their fourth album or something?

kabuki

Re: ...

Post by kabuki » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:52 am

Captain Screwbarb wrote:"Definitely Massive Attack's EARLIEST cd Mezzanine"

- more than likely. I do believe it wasthier first US release, and I don't get out much...

I should have said Mezzanine and before. (Mez is my favorite tho)
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

futureproof

Re: ...

Post by futureproof » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:00 am

kabuki wrote:
Captain Screwbarb wrote:"Definitely Massive Attack's EARLIEST cd Mezzanine"

- more than likely. I do believe it wasthier first US release, and I don't get out much...

I should have said Mezzanine and before. (Mez is my favorite tho)

mezzanine...LOL. their first CD "blue lines" came out 8 years earlier in 1991. Be sure to check out the tracks 'safe from harm" and "unfinished sympathy".

since were talking about trip hop...anyone here remember the labels "Pork" and "Purple Penguin" ? Those were some cool trip hop labels back in the day.(circa 1995)

-some dude on KVR.